Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

Not because food is expensive (although it is)

But because it's not readily available in the same way as McDonalds. Come to 125th street in Harlem and I'll point out 5 fast food places in one square block and not one grocery store. within 10 blocks either direction

Maybe the poor people who are fat, are fat for the same reason as the rich people who are fat, are fat. They eat too much.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You cannot pin obesity down to any one particular area. Some fat people are rich, some poor people are thin.

It can only be a combination of factors: availability, accessibility, food manufacturing, lack of discipline, desire, working too much, working too little, sleeping too much/little, genetics etc. This is not an exhaustive list.

Also, why do people insist on equating 'healthy' with 'organic'?!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

But because it's not readily available in the same way as McDonalds. Come to 125th street in Harlem and I'll point out 5 fast food places in one square block and not one grocery store. within 10 blocks either direction

How can they afford that? I keep hearing this, but I don't understand how they can even buy McD's every day. I am a bit above the federal poverty line, and I sure can't pay for all that. Bread, ground beef, and a squeeze bottle of Heinz is much cheaper. Ten blocks you say? Don't they have buses and a subway up there? We have buses here, not especially convenient, but they do just fine for people without vehicles.

How is it cheaper???

Burger patti's 1 for 1 dollar or ground beef 5.99 lb = 4 4oz burgers
    1 package hamburger rolls - 1.50
    ketchup - 2 dollars (or steal teh squeeze packets from mcdonalds)
    = $7.50 for 4 burgers (or if you get the ready made patti's $5.50)
    and you still have to cook it so add in butter/oil/pam
    and no lettuce or anything right?
    assuming you have access to a stove of course...

McDonalds - 4 bucks for 4 burgers. they come with everything you need and I believe even lettuce and you don't have to cook it..
    Sometimes they are even cheaper then a dollar and you can take the extra dollar and get a small bag of fries.

even if you buy premade frozen patti's 6.99 for 8 that's still more expensive then McDonalds and you are assuming they have a way to store and cook the meat.

My prices listed above are less then what I have to pay for it meat. I can get 80/20 patti's 10 for 10 bucks, but you have to buy 10.
  • mwa2801
    Options
    I'm "fat" and am losing weight, however I make a salary only 2-3 percent of the popular in the U.S makes. Am I poor? Far far from it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How can they afford that? I keep hearing this, but I don't understand how they can even buy McD's every day. I am a bit above the federal poverty line, and I sure can't pay for all that. Bread, ground beef, and a squeeze bottle of Heinz is much cheaper. Ten blocks you say? Don't they have buses and a subway up there? We have buses here, not especially convenient, but they do just fine for people without vehicles.

How is it cheaper???

McDonalds - 4 bucks for 4 burgers. they come with everything you need and I believe even lettuce and you don't have to cook it..
    Sometimes they are even cheaper then a dollar and you can take the extra dollar and get a small bag of fries.
    Don't buy the premade patties - buy the 85/15 burger (that's what McD's burgers are anyway) at 3.39 a lb and make eight burgers (the ones you get for $1 are no more than 1/8 lb). $3.39
    A package of buns comes in an 8 count - $1.50
    Ketchup - you probably already have this, you don't buy it everytime you make burgers. Even if you do, $1.50 for store brand, so $1.50
    85/15 burger has a lot of fat in it so you don't use butter or pam or anything in the pan, hello.
    So for $6.39 you now have 8 burgers.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I find this just another excuse. In the USA we give food stamps aka ebt card and they can but whatever they want they just choose not to. I live on a tight budget and feed my family of 4 on it. I dont but fat free anything as it has too many chemicals in it buy low fat sure do. I have learn on my fitnesspal it is all about moderation and controll not poor or rich. Oh and If I was rich i would eat at the best restaurants with the fattest foods possible. I think I would be 10xs my size.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and when we are going through a rough patch, we don't buy as much healthy foods as we normally do. It really is more expensive and I'd LOVE to grow my own veggies but I have no where to do so. Even eating unhealthy foods, it's about portion control. You can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie goals. Would I recommend anyone do that? No, but it's possible.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything with being poor., but more about being ignorant. Before people get offend I mean ignorant in it's true meaning of lacking knowledge or awareness and not as a put down.

Before I educated myself I thought "it's to expensive to eat healthy" but that's just a myth/ excuse people use to justify why they are fat. Value meal is $6.00+ tax I can make 2 maybe 3 healthy dinners for the same price.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm poor. We barely make ends meet (and some months we don't make ends meet). I'm not fat.

I know how to cut back on things we don't need to spend on things we do. We don't have cable or internet.

It's about priorities and education, not opportunities.

This ^^ My fiance and I are broke as a joke (both college students with only one income-his and its not much) but I absolutely make sure we eat healthy. Cut the cable? YEP sure did! Cut the gym membership? YEP sure did! The outdoors are more freeing anyways and I go to youtube to do my workout classes now. Merged insurances and cell phones and we save about $180 a month doing all this but we always eat mindful. Its the little things that add up to the big amounts. Hopefully we'll gain these "luxuries" back one day after graduating but for now its the way things are. Poor and eating well :)
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything with being poor., but more about being ignorant. Before people get offend I mean ignorant in it's true meaning of lacking knowledge or awareness and not as a put down.

Before I educated myself I thought "it's to expensive to eat healthy" but that's just a myth/ excuse people use to justify why they are fat. Value meal is $6.00+ tax I can make 2 maybe 3 healthy dinners for the same price.

so right ^^
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I can grow ANYTHING.....until i put it in a container. I can murder the healthiest plants in two days in a stupid pot.
    [/quote]

LIKE!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

you can feed your family of 4 for ~ $6 at McDonalds off the dollar menu.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You cannot pin obesity down to any one particular area. Some fat people are rich, some poor people are thin.

It can only be a combination of factors: availability, accessibility, food manufacturing, lack of discipline, desire, working too much, working too little, sleeping too much/little, genetics etc. This is not an exhaustive list.

Also, why do people insist on equating 'healthy' with 'organic'?!

yes you can. the map showing the rates of obesity in this country coincide EXACTLY with the maps showing poverty rates in this country.

on a state level, the south and mid west are fatter than the coasts, and on a smaller scale, those living in poverty in urban areas are fatter than those who are affluent in urban areas.

these are facts.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Don't buy the premade patties - buy the 85/15 burger (that's what McD's burgers are anyway) at 3.39 a lb and make eight burgers (the ones you get for $1 are no more than 1/8 lb). $3.39
    Ketchup - you probably already have this, you don't buy it everytime you make burgers. Even if you do, $1.50 for store brand, so $1.50
    85/15 burger has a lot of fat in it so you don't use butter or pam or anything in the pan, hello.

3.39 a lbs??? not here.. maybe.. MAYBE for 80/20 meat it's around that price. And I didn't even include the cost of ketchup in my total above..

Well i just learned that a hamburger is only 2 oz of meat at most at Mcdonalds. I haven't eaten there in years and don't remember much about the food sizes. However.. to be realistic. How many of those to feed you? 8 burgers feeds 2? By your figures I have saved 1.61 and still have to figure out how to cook it. (I was poor enough at one time to not own a stove.. so there's that too) . Plus I think you can get a double cheeseburger on the dollar menu now.. So now i'm getting double the meat at Mcdonalds then you are the grocery store. So my 4 dollars just bought me 8 hamburgers with cheese and 4 buns,

Cheaper.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Cheap food is generally unhealthy and in my experience you see many more obese poor people than obese affluent people. It doesn't mean you definitely will get fat when poor and it doesn't mean you can find ways to eat healthy without a lot of income. But as a general matter, I'd say it's accurate that you see more poor people getting fat.

This isn't due to just the food choices though. With affluence comes the ability to pay for gym memberships, buy fitness equipment and participate in many physical activities the poor living at or below poverty level can only dream about. Even after school sports cost for kids, something many poor folk cannot afford to pay. IMO though, the choice of cheap nutrient poor food over healthy nutritious foods is one of that exactly, choice. A fast food meal for one comes in at say $6. A pound of burger, can of mixed vegetables, can of tomatoes and package of pasta will cost about $5 and feed at least 4 people. Add a loaf of bread and you have the price of one meal feeding four. Consider though, it is more than just food choice which complicates the issue. The food industry has convinced folks it is too difficult to cook. Poor folks often lack the basic equipment necessary for cooking although there are a lot of ways to remedy that. Don't forget the old lazy bone too. It is easier to go to McD's than it is to cook at home.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

3.39 a lbs??? not here.. maybe.. MAYBE for 80/20 meat it's around that price. And I didn't even include the cost of ketchup in my total above..

Well i just learned that a hamburger is only 2 oz of meat at most at Mcdonalds. I haven't eaten there in years and don't remember much about the food sizes. However.. to be realistic. How many of those to feed you? 8 burgers feeds 2? By your figures I have saved 1.61 and still have to figure out how to cook it. (I was poor enough at one time to not own a stove.. so there's that too) . Plus I think you can get a double cheeseburger on the dollar menu now.. So now i'm getting double the meat at Mcdonalds then you are the grocery store. So my 4 dollars just bought me 8 hamburgers with cheese and 4 buns,

Cheaper.

How are you getting there?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Cheap food is generally unhealthy and in my experience you see many more obese poor people than obese affluent people. It doesn't mean you definitely will get fat when poor and it doesn't mean you can find ways to eat healthy without a lot of income. But as a general matter, I'd say it's accurate that you see more poor people getting fat.

This isn't due to just the food choices though. With affluence comes the ability to pay for gym memberships, buy fitness equipment and participate in many physical activities the poor living at or below poverty level can only dream about. Even after school sports cost for kids, something many poor folk cannot afford to pay. IMO though, the choice of cheap nutrient poor food over healthy nutritious foods is one of that exactly, choice. A fast food meal for one comes in at say $6. A pound of burger, can of mixed vegetables, can of tomatoes and package of pasta will cost about $5 and feed at least 4 people. Add a loaf of bread and you have the price of one meal feeding four. Consider though, it is more than just food choice which complicates the issue. The food industry has convinced folks it is too difficult to cook. Poor folks often lack the basic equipment necessary for cooking although there are a lot of ways to remedy that. Don't forget the old lazy bone too. It is easier to go to McD's than it is to cook at home.

That's bunk. Being poor doesn't mean you can't work out. And it doesn't take working out to lose weight, it takes eating less, which should certainly not be a problem for poor people. It certainly wasn't when I was a poor kid.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Cheaper.

Kinda irrelevant don't you think? Since i'd have to get to the grocery store as well, so any money spent getting there is the same regardless of where you go. But you have feet if you can't afford gas or a bus ticket. Which also limits what you can purchase at a grocery store. where I lived we had 1 super expensive grocery store in town, the less expensive one was a 25 minute car ride and you'd pass McDonalds (or it's equivalent) twice before you got there. I used to walk it, or use my brothers bicycle to get there, to save on gas. I did work, i just didn't make squat. I was still overweight even with walking. When i got a better job, I bused it for 6 months straight because I couldn't afford a car. That was 2 bus rides in two different directions twice a day. I didn't have a stove for awhile either.. so great having ground beef.. how would I have cooked it?

I don't think people who think it is so easy have actually really lived it. Have ever had to not eat dinner so their kid(s) can eat. I am not saying this to anyone personally. Just in general. It's so easy.. really? Disable your stove, get rid of your car and give yourself 10-15 bucks to eat off of for a week,

What would you do?

Then add a kid or two into the mix ..

oh ya.. and assume you are denied any benefits from the state.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Yes poor people are fat.

How is it cheaper???

Cheaper.

Kinda irrelevant don't you think? Since i'd have to get to the grocery store as well, so any money spent getting there is the same regardless of where you go. But you have feet if you can't afford gas or a bus ticket. Which also limits what you can purchase at a grocery store. where I lived we had 1 super expensive grocery store in town, the less expensive one was a 25 minute car ride and you'd pass McDonalds (or it's equivalent) twice before you got there. I used to walk it, or use my brothers bicycle to get there, to save on gas. I did work, i just didn't make squat. I was still overweight even with walking. When i got a better job, I bused it for 6 months straight because I couldn't afford a car. That was 2 bus rides in two different directions twice a day. I didn't have a stove for awhile either.. so great having ground beef.. how would I have cooked it?

I don't think people who think it is so easy have actually really lived it. Have ever had to not eat dinner so their kid(s) can eat. I am not saying this to anyone personally. Just in general. It's so easy.. really? Disable your stove, get rid of your car and give yourself 10-15 bucks to eat off of for a week,

What would you do?

Then add a kid or two into the mix ..

oh ya.. and assume you are denied any benefits from the state.

Been there, done that. Grew up in clothes that didn't fit because we were too poor, living with friends bc we couldn't afford rent, and in the back of our van sometimes. Lived in a small shack where the only cookstove was a woodstove. Times when we didn't have a car. We certainly were not ever to be found eating at McDonald's. We grew our own garden in the summer, and my mother and I worked our *kitten* off canning and freezing most of it to eat during the winter months. We worked on the local farms for eggs, milk, chicken and beef. I walked the miles back and forth to school.

When I had kids of my own and we were just starting out, there were times we shuffled the bills around to figure out which ones to skip that month so we could make sure they had what they needed while we kept up (a month behind). Again, if we went to McDonald's it was a rare special treat trip for them. The first year we were married, we made it on as little money as possible, so for our first anniversary we went to Wendy's for dinner.
    I don't think you need to preach to me about being poor.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I have been poor and never been fat. Ate Ramen noodles(10 for $1.00) and a cuccumber everyday for lunch when I HAD to. Thankfully, those days are behind me. But being poor doesn't always=being fat.