What is "Generic"?

Options
In the food base I see "Generic" a lot.
What is this? a brand name, or just a basic food with no brand?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    What an "average" item of that food would be. Basically just an educated guestimate.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    If you don't put in a Brand, it will fill it in with "generic"
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Generic tastes better! But yeah Generic is something that doesn't have a brand associated with it. Everyone has different ingredients in their things, some generic are amalgamations or averages, some are guesstimates and some are of a particular brand just missing the brand name. I use generics for things that I roughly know the nutritonal content of but can't find a match in the database.
  • shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    so...generic items typically would not have confirmations of calories, as brand name items sometimes do?

Then would it be wise to try another similar food item which doe's have confirmations of calorie content, as opposed to the generic food items?

I realize that often times there is no choice offered, so either we accept the generic calories, or we enter for ourselves what we think a food has in it in the "quick add" section.

thanks for the replies!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    so...generic items typically would not have confirmations of calories, as brand name items sometimes do?

Then would it be wise to try another similar food item which doe's have confirmations of calorie content, as opposed to the generic food items?

I realize that often times there is no choice offered, so either we accept the generic calories, or we enter for ourselves what we think a food has in it in the "quick add" section.

thanks for the replies!

It probably isn't worth buying the 'brand' name just to log it. The generic version is normally very close, if NOT exactly the same without the branding. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options

...Or you enter it yourself (add a food) what the nutritional label actually says.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

...Or you enter it yourself (add a food) what the nutritional label actually says.

A lot of foods won't have a nutrition label tho. Like store bought chicken breast. Or store bough beef, etc etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Look in the database for names of food items with no asterisk in front - they have been entered by the site administrator and are correct. You'll have to scroll but it's worth it to get the correct nutrients entered. Otherwise you have to check the nutrients on each food you click. Way too time consuming.

Also..... if you enter it yourself, the item will appear without an asterisk. Makes it easy to find your entries.