so fed up

Options
I have been doing this for 7 weeks and have lost 25lbs so I am very happy with that. The reason I am so fed up is I went for my normal dog walk this morning and ended up spraining my ankle so just sitting here watching tv with leg elevated. which is not good because I have become so used to my daily exercise I am feeling lost, (it don't help that I have pmt at the moment)

Question is can I do any form of exercise (e.g exercise bike, weights)?

please help

Replies

• jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hope every day that I dont injury myself exercising as it could jeopardize my last 7 weeks work (19.25lbs) . I could say to myself eat less but as it is im not eating that much, and when I do eat more than I should, I just exercise it off afterwards. I feel for you and I can only suggest one of those seat things or weights.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing so well! You can do things like sit ups and weights to tone but unfortunately cardio isn’t really an option until you have recovered, assuming you don’t want to do more damage. But don’t panic, just eat carefully, its nit a bad injury, you should be up and about in no time.
    I understand how you feel, I had to have knee surgery and wasn’t even allowed to diet for 3 months, and I could hardly get out of bed never mind exercise. The worked thing is ii have to do it again on the other leg in june, so I have another 3 months brake. It does suck but just think of the extra calories you burn mending.
    Keep up the good work.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a swimming pool, that might be a way to exercise depending on how severe the sprain is--sorry about that by the way. Since you are making great progress in a short time on MFP you obviously know what your are doing. Don't worry too much about a setback--it will be just a minor bump in the road in a few months.
  • Lucy0304
    Lucy0304 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Multiple injuries over the years is what caused me to be in my current lousy shape. I used to be very active but each time I got hurt I became more and more discouraged.

My solution was to start counting everyday activity such as laundry, vacuuming, taking out the garbage as part of my exercise and I added to it a bit each day. Before long I could add walking, gardening to exercising the uninjured parts of my body. It greatly improved my attitude and attitude is a big part of our weight loss success.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I sprained my ankle I carried on doing pull ups and bench press the next day. Took me months to be able to squat again though. So weights are good, so long as they don't put pressure on your ankle. Cardio is different altogether and is going to be difficult.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor. I know there are new guidelines about healing sprains, but this isn't the best place to ask for them.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Buy a shake weight, you can use that sat down.
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Shadow-boxing works for some people.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Relax and rest up for a few days. Watch your intake closely. I run and have been lucky to have no major injuries, just a few minor pulls/strains, but I always take seriously the taking it easy for a few days, even if it makes me feel irritable and out of sorts. Better a few days now than weeks later because what would have been a fairly minor injury became something much worse.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 7 weeks and have lost 25lbs so I am very happy with that. The reason I am so fed up is I went for my normal dog walk this morning and ended up spraining my ankle so just sitting here watching tv with leg elevated. which is not good because I have become so used to my daily exercise I am feeling lost, (it don't help that I have pmt at the moment)

Question is can I do any form of exercise (e.g exercise bike, weights)?

please help

Please don't shoot the messenger but I may be able to help. I know you and I are not in the same demographic. I'm 72-years old and because of joint problems, have to look for alternate forms of exercise. I found a life-saver from our own National Institute of Aging. It is a program called Go4Life. They publish a FREE booklet, and a DVD filled with exercises for people with limited mobility. (You, temporarily).

Most of the exercises on the DVD and in the book focus on strength building, flexibility, endurance and balance. Take this "down" time to focus on building these strengths as they are important!

Here's a link to the order page: http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/go4life-dvd

Connie,
    Pomona, MO
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Plus - you can certainly ride an exercise bike with just one leg/foot operating the pedals. Get off the couch and flat on the floor. Leg lifts, sit ups, etc. do not require an ankle!!
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice going to see if I can see a doctor tomorrow as my knee has now started swelling and very painful, I hit it as I fell so won't be trying anything till tomorrow then the chair workout sounds good might give it a try
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    oops - I see you are in England. Sorry; you may not be able to get the publication I recommended BUT you can view it on the web site I think.
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice going to see if I can see a doctor tomorrow as my knee has now started swelling and very painful, I hit it as I fell so won't be trying anything till tomorrow then the chair workout sounds good might give it a try

well I have broken my ankle so in cast and on crutches for next 6 weeks. I have changed my account to sedentary and put my loss to 0.5lb a week as I will find it so hard not exercising. Any advise on how to get through is next 6 weeks will be great.
  • iamimagine
    iamimagine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In the past three years I have had two surgeries on my foot. The first was 10 weeks non weight bearing, the second 5 weeks limited weight bearing. I can tell you after much research and experience, nutrition is very important to healing quickly. Your body uses extra energy trying to fix the bone. Just go to maintenance eating, and you shouldnt gain any weight back. You can do crunches and lift arm weights.