Atkins induction phase and calories

Options
I'm finding it hard to get "enough" calories on Atkins phase 1. I put in everything I've eaten today and everything I plan to eat for the rest of the day and it only comes to a little over 1,000 calories with net carbs at 18. I'm not getting hungry or anything though even with such a high calorie deficit. I do have a lot of weight to lose (75lbs). Should I worry about the calories? Any extra food suggestions for 0 net carbs that still fits into the Atkins phase 1 (basically just meats and non-starchy vegetables).

Are the Atkins bars/snacks allowed in phase 1? I was thinking that might help.

Replies

• ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Atkins boxed meals or snacks will have what phase they are reccomended for. And yes Id watch calories too, your body will store fat if not getting enough food. Its easier to make reccomadations if you open you diary. Also there are several really good low carb reciept sites, my go to snack is sugar free jello with fat free cool whip or turkey pepperoni with a little cheese baked till crispy. Im not on atkins (was in the past) but I keep my carb inatke low.
    Good Luck
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to get "enough" calories on Atkins phase 1. I put in everything I've eaten today and everything I plan to eat for the rest of the day and it only comes to a little over 1,000 calories with net carbs at 18. I'm not getting hungry or anything though even with such a high calorie deficit. I do have a lot of weight to lose (75lbs). Should I worry about the calories? Any extra food suggestions for 0 net carbs that still fits into the Atkins phase 1 (basically just meats and non-starchy vegetables).

Atkins= starvation mode and it is nearly impossible to maintain after you've reached your weight loss goals. I would suggest NOT doing atkins and if you are insistent on a low-carb diet, try something a little more moderate and not as severe such as just cutting out grains and still being able to eat fruits etc. I understand quick-fixes are super exciting because you lose weight quickly - but you're 18 and you're going to lose weight quickly as long as you make good choices with what you are putting into your body.
  • weewdy
    weewdy Posts: 39
    Options
    I personally don't recommend atkins bars etc as they stalled my weight loss. What are you eating in a day? Remember you should be adding oil, cheese etc to your diet to up your calories.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Atkins= starvation mode and it is nearly impossible to maintain after you've reached your weight loss goals. I would suggest NOT doing atkins and if you are insistent on a low-carb diet, try something a little more moderate and not as severe such as just cutting out grains and still being able to eat fruits etc. I understand quick-fixes are super exciting because you lose weight quickly - but you're 18 and you're going to lose weight quickly as long as you make good choices with what you are putting into your body.

You're incorrect. Atkins is not starvation mode. Atkins also has 4 phases which includes lifetime maintenance.

OP - I would suggest adding in things like bacon or cheese...lots of calories in a small amount of food. weewdy also makes a good point...are you keeping track of the oil you cook with? Those calories also add up fast.

Also, I haven't had an issue with the Atkins bars/meals stall weightloss or increase my appetite at all...but that's not the same for everybody. Atkins now focuses on NET carbs, whereas in the original Atkins it was total carbs. The Peanut Butter Granola Bar is like 18 TOTAL carbs so definitely not original Atkins friendly, but has around 3 NET carbs so "new" Atkins friendly. Some people react differently to sugar alcohols.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in less than calories out. I've done atkins and it worked for me, but it doesn't build a lifelong plan. You can eat the bars (and when I started dieting they kept me in the game giving me sweet and crunchy. almost all the bars are good for phase one as are most of the shakes (My wife has the shakes for breakfast regularly)
    Having done Atkins phase one I'm not sure how you are staying less than 1000. I found I was in the 1500-2000 range most days
    but i ate the bars as snacks and they are a couple of hundred so 2 a day is 400+calories - I'd rather get the calories elsewhere now
    Also if you are exercising try and make sure you eat back some of the loss (I always lower the report level and then target to come in 100 or so below the added total. And as pointed out make sure you measure the oil you use (a tablespoon of olive oil is 119 calories alone)
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not on Atkins however I have been eating low carb for almost three weeks. The first week I was quite hungry but I think my body just had some adjusting to do.
    I eat eggs or a protein shake(which I don't know if you can have) for breakfast. I eat salad every day for lunch along with veggies and sometimes chicken or tuna or sometimes beef.
    For supper is protein and veggies. I think if you eat enough of the food that you are allowed to eat, your hunger will go away. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.
    I take multi-vitamins and omega pills very day before dinner.
    Hope that helps,
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Wow you really couldn't know less about the Atkins diet, could you?

I would skip the bars and packaged meals in induction. If you add them in, do it later once you're gradually adding carbs back into your diet and once you're accustomed to low carb eating. As for meeting your 1000 calories, eat richer foods. An avocado is ~300 calories. A steak can easily be 600+ calories. I know plenty of people that mix fats with their coffee, be it MCT, coconut oil (predominantly MCTs), pasture butter, cream, etc. Personally, I'm a big fan of giant salads. Throw on some slices of grilled steak, avocado, lots of romaine lettuce, maybe a bit of cheese and a nice dressing - yum. Very filling but substantial in calories at the same time.

As for worrying about calories, I'd say yes. To get the most of out Atkins or any low carb diet, I personally think you should view it like you're simply tracking your calories and macros. You want to try and hit your daily calories, protein macro and fat macro every day, just like any other diet, while keeping your carbs low. Using food scales, logging everything, all that jazz still applies. The way I see it, you're already tracking carbs so it's no additional work to track everything else as well.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how you calculate how many net carbs to add back in after exercising? Is there a formula? I'm not mathematically minded. According to my HRM, I regularly burn between 750-900 calories per hour doing Zumba, and I'm trying to keep my net carbs at 20, and my total daily calories at 1650. Can you help? Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry, this comment was directed at Eddie Smith.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    "Also if you are exercising try and make sure you eat back some of the loss (I always lower the report level and then target to come in 100 or so below the added total. And as pointed out make sure you measure the oil you use (a tablespoon of olive oil is 119 calories alone)"
    [/quote]

I'm wondering how you calculate how many net carbs to add back in after exercising? Is there a formula? I'm not mathematically minded. According to my HRM, I regularly burn between 750-900 calories per hour doing Zumba, and I'm trying to keep my net carbs at 20, and my total daily calories at 1650. Can you help? Thank you.