Hard time finding BALANCE - eating too little

Options
Hi Everyone,

In the past two weeks, I've been working hard to feed my body nutritious foods. I use MFP to keep track of the food and to count the calories. MFP originally put me on 1200 calories, but my trainer told me to bump it up to 1400 for a while. That's fine.

The problem is that sometimes I find myself eating as little as 900 calories ! I'm not trying to, it just happens.

I know this is bad for me.

The food that I am eating is all plant based with some organic meats...

I just don't want to hurt myself, you know?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Kelle

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If it helps, try to eat more regularly.

Eat lots of avocado, nuts, seeds, legumes etc. if you want more calories from plant based sources.

Eat more meat

Eat eggs, cheese, yoghurt etc. unless you have a reason not to.

Allow yourself a small high calorie treat, dark chocolate is a personal favourite of mine.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Oh, I should add peanut butter. Eat it by the spoon.

Also, making a smoothie (or juice) could make it easier to digest.
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options
    Hello kellesee,

I think first you need to think about why you end up eating so little? Are you too busy throughout your day, just don't feel hungry, ignore the hunger, can't afford more food, don't have time to cook/prep food? It would help tailor advice a bit better this way I think. I've been trying to limit my food to 1200, and I find it very hard to get through the day. Are there particular foods that you enjoy, which you can perhaps keep around. I usually prepare all my lunch meals (2-3) in the morning after I eat breakfast. This way I just need to open the fridge and microwave and eat. I'll cook batches of food all at once, then refrigerate or freeze.

I wish you good luck with increasing your caloric intake.

-E
  • emma_soji
    emma_soji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me.. I keep getting the message, after I finish logging for the day.. you need to eat more.. bla bla.. I seriously eat 5-6 times a day with super nutritious/balanced foods.. I'm just not hungry enough to eat more. I did make a concerted effort to bump it up at least 100 more calories of good stuff but its still not enough. I work out 5 days a week and am building incredible lean muscle mass so I'm not overly worried. I will keep trying to add more with each meal and get it bumped up to at least 1100-1200 a day though.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Plan your next day's eating in advance. Works for either over-eating or under-eating. Your body needs fuel. You wouldn't drive your car without gas; don't drive your body without food.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Also, don't be afraid of eating fat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I guess I will be the devil's advocate this time: is everything logged proper and correctly?

I am not judging, but genuinely curious...
  • lm8222
    Options
    For some extra cals without eating a whole lot more add in some healthy fats like olive lil, nuts, or nut butters.
  • kellesee
    kellesee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I guess I will be the devil's advocate this time: is everything logged proper and correctly?

I am not judging, but genuinely curious...

I am logging everything I eat. If I am not at home, I will write it down so I don't forget.
  • kellesee
    Options
    Hello kellesee,

I think first you need to think about why you end up eating so little? Are you too busy throughout your day, just don't feel hungry, ignore the hunger, can't afford more food, don't have time to cook/prep food? It would help tailor advice a bit better this way I think. I've been trying to limit my food to 1200, and I find it very hard to get through the day. Are there particular foods that you enjoy, which you can perhaps keep around. I usually prepare all my lunch meals (2-3) in the morning after I eat breakfast. This way I just need to open the fridge and microwave and eat. I'll cook batches of food all at once, then refrigerate or freeze.

I wish you good luck with increasing your caloric intake.

-E

I think I'm kind of paranoid/slash/not hungry. Now that my stomach has shrunk and I am eating mindfully (so I can tell when I'm full), I don't eat nearly as much. If I'm out during the day, I wont stop for fast food, of course, so I'll wait til I get home. If I have a snack, it will be one of the healthy choices I've picked out. However, I am now wondering how I will eat when I use up the money I have been using to eat good food (my student refund from college). It's costing me 70.00 per week so far to keep good food in the house. I'm trying to convince myself that it's an investment.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started working out and changed my diet. I think it just took my system a couple of weeks to adjust. Now my appetite is better.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I think I'm kind of paranoid/slash/not hungry. Now that my stomach has shrunk and I am eating mindfully (so I can tell when I'm full), I don't eat nearly as much. If I'm out during the day, I wont stop for fast food, of course, so I'll wait til I get home. If I have a snack, it will be one of the healthy choices I've picked out. However, I am now wondering how I will eat when I use up the money I have been using to eat good food (my student refund from college). It's costing me 70.00 per week so far to keep good food in the house. I'm trying to convince myself that it's an investment.

OK, don't know what your food budget was before, but "good food" is generally far cheaper than living on fast food. IIRC, a typical lunch at McD would easily set you back seven bucks -- 10 of those and you've already hit $70. Were you tracking how much you spent eating out before?

Good food doesn't have to be fancy organic stuff from Whole Foods -- buying just good fruits and veggies from Wally World (or whatever your cheapest market happens to be) is going to be a huge step up from living on fast food or canned / processed / prepared food. Frankly, if you're cooking from scratch most of the time, the only really expensive item is meat, and if you stick to mostly chicken and meats that are on sale that week you can keep that hit to a minimum.

Good luck to ya!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    advice? eat more. You don't have to stuff yourself to hit caloric goals. You admit that you know it's bad for you, but you're the one that looks at the number on the app at the end of the day.

Get a handful of almonds.. or just more throughout the day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of your foods have labels? Like are you buying "health food" from the "health" section of the supermarket?

A very cheap way to add calories is adding things like nuts, seeds, and oils. They seem expensive. But the cost per calorie is typically quite low.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i applaud you for being honest. and yes, some folks have been giving great advice about adding nuts/seeds/oils--they're nutritious and a little more calorie-dense. but honestly, i can easily polish 900 calories in a meal. i find it difficult to imagine meeting 1200-1400 calories a day.
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options

$70 per week seems on the high side to me. Are you living on your own? Basically, do you share a fridge? I think a basic diet of eggs, some protein powder, meats, veggies and fruits should not be too expensive. I hear the buy in season thrown around a lot. I find that buy eggs in bulk is a very cheap breakfast. I have been doing 2 eggs with ghee/butter for breakfast for a loooong time now, along with a rice/gemma pea protein powder from truenutrition which i mix with rice milk. This usually leaves me with a lot of energy till lunch. I'm not sure if doing protein powders will help you intake more calorie or have the opposite effect, but it's worth a shot.

Back to the point, buying in bulk will help reduce costs, however, you'll need to have freezer and fridge space. Food will last longer if you lower the temperature in your fridge a bit, however, keep in mind this can be bad for the veggies. You can precook and freeze meals for a week, or freeze uncooked meats for the next week. Some people are against this, but I find that if you follow some clean procedures (wash hands, wrap things and zip lock or topper them.) I usually find that a ziplock wrapped in foil prevents freezer burn. I had some wings in my freezer from months ago that I brined and backed in an oven and were awesome. Taking this approach with meats and cooked foods, you can buy them when they're on sale and use them throughout the time. It will take some time and planning to defrost the meats before use, though. It's something you can try testing. If you'd like more advice on these methods, I can provide more on how I deal with them, or you can look online where I've gathered my tricks and info from anyways.

Below is an example of a diet I was following before. As you can see some of the items are expensive and others are very cheap when purchased in bulk. If possible try to find someone with a costco or sams club membership.

48g protein rice/gemma pea powder $0.75
    1 cup Rice milk $0.29
    2 xlarge Eggs $0.25

1 Fuji apple $0.75
    150g black forest Ham $1.73
    2 slices bread $0.47
    3 strips (~35g) Bacon $1.15
    2 spears Pickles

1/4 cup Popcorn
    120g Cottage cheese
    30g Granola
  • kellesee
    Options

OK, don't know what your food budget was before, but "good food" is generally far cheaper than living on fast food. IIRC, a typical lunch at McD would easily set you back seven bucks -- 10 of those and you've already hit $70. Were you tracking how much you spent eating out before?

Good food doesn't have to be fancy organic stuff from Whole Foods -- buying just good fruits and veggies from Wally World (or whatever your cheapest market happens to be) is going to be a huge step up from living on fast food or canned / processed / prepared food. Frankly, if you're cooking from scratch most of the time, the only really expensive item is meat, and if you stick to mostly chicken and meats that are on sale that week you can keep that hit to a minimum.

Good luck to ya!

Thanks! That was helpful. And you're right, I DO feel like I have to eat food from the organic places.
  • kellesee
    Options

$70 per week seems on the high side to me. Are you living on your own? Basically, do you share a fridge? I think a basic diet of eggs, some protein powder, meats, veggies and fruits should not be too expensive. I hear the buy in season thrown around a lot. I find that buy eggs in bulk is a very cheap breakfast. I have been doing 2 eggs with ghee/butter for breakfast for a loooong time now, along with a rice/gemma pea protein powder from truenutrition which i mix with rice milk. This usually leaves me with a lot of energy till lunch. I'm not sure if doing protein powders will help you intake more calorie or have the opposite effect, but it's worth a shot.

Back to the point, buying in bulk will help reduce costs, however, you'll need to have freezer and fridge space. Food will last longer if you lower the temperature in your fridge a bit, however, keep in mind this can be bad for the veggies. You can precook and freeze meals for a week, or freeze uncooked meats for the next week. Some people are against this, but I find that if you follow some clean procedures (wash hands, wrap things and zip lock or topper them.) I usually find that a ziplock wrapped in foil prevents freezer burn. I had some wings in my freezer from months ago that I brined and backed in an oven and were awesome. Taking this approach with meats and cooked foods, you can buy them when they're on sale and use them throughout the time. It will take some time and planning to defrost the meats before use, though. It's something you can try testing. If you'd like more advice on these methods, I can provide more on how I deal with them, or you can look online where I've gathered my tricks and info from anyways.

Below is an example of a diet I was following before. As you can see some of the items are expensive and others are very cheap when purchased in bulk. If possible try to find someone with a costco or sams club membership.

48g protein rice/gemma pea powder $0.75
    1 cup Rice milk $0.29
    2 xlarge Eggs $0.25

1 Fuji apple $0.75
    150g black forest Ham $1.73
    2 slices bread $0.47
    3 strips (~35g) Bacon $1.15
    2 spears Pickles

1/4 cup Popcorn
    120g Cottage cheese
    30g Granola

Thanks for your response. :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me.. I keep getting the message, after I finish logging for the day.. you need to eat more.. bla bla.. I seriously eat 5-6 times a day with super nutritious/balanced foods.. I'm just not hungry enough to eat more. I did make a concerted effort to bump it up at least 100 more calories of good stuff but its still not enough. I work out 5 days a week and am building incredible lean muscle mass so I'm not overly worried. I will keep trying to add more with each meal and get it bumped up to at least 1100-1200 a day though.

Building muscle mass on less than 1100 calories a day?

Um no.................likely you are catobolizing existing muscle mass on less than 1100 calories + lots of workouts.
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options

Building muscle mass on less than 1100 calories a day?

Um no.................likely you are catobolizing existing muscle mass on less than 1100 calories + lots of workouts.

Lean muscle, most likely means strength, not bulky muscle, which I think should be doable on such a calorie intake. She says she works out 5 days a week, but not how much. Could just be a few sets of body weight exercises and such.

Kellesee,
    You're welcome, I wish you luck. Funny enough I was only able to get about 1100 kcals today myself... I need to find/buy more calorie dense foods that are FODMAP/paleo friendly.