Started Turbo Jam but Back Hurting?

Options
Hi all,

today is day three of Turbo Jam for me. I love it even though I don't have the moves down perfectly yet. Anyway, I do notice that during and after my back and hips seems to be be pretty sore and stiff. I do have lower back issues and when I was pregnant with my daughter, developed symphysis pubis dysfunction which basically causes these normally stiff joints to move a lot, possibly from misalignment, and can be pretty painful. Are they any tips or suggestions you wonderful people have to help me through this? I AM NOT quitting this exercise so there has to be a solution! Haha Right now, I am doing it on carpet but I have laminate floors I could move to if need be. I think I may be having issues with the Turbo Tuck too. I can't seem to get it right, I believe. If anyone has any ideas they could relay to me about posturing for that move, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does Turbo Jam have an instructor doing lower impact versions of the moves like Turbo Fire does? If so, I'd suggest starting out doing those for a while.

I'd also strongly encourage you to speak to a doctor familiar with your specific problems. As much as you may love Turbo Jam, you need to know if it's problematic for you.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    KikoAlonsoGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It does have lower impact, yes. I will speak to a Dr. as soon as I have insurance. :) The thing is, I was able to run on the treadmill and do pretty intense strength training with this issues and without incident. It's just this DVD giving me problems.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It does have lower impact, yes. I will speak to a Dr. as soon as I have insurance. :) The thing is, I was able to run on the treadmill and do pretty intense strength training with this issues and without incident. It's just this DVD giving me problems.

I've done Turbo Fire which I've been told is similar to Turbo Jam except it includes plyometrics. If that is true, then the punching, kicks, twists, etc. would be movement quite different than running or lifting. Intesity isn't the only thing to consider, the type of movement is also important.

Sorry, that's all I got. Perhaps one of the members who are also trainers will chime in with better information.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    Thanks for trying! I think my big thing may be posturing but I'm having a hard time getting it right....
  • day4s
    day4s Posts: 5
    Options
    I am very used to working out and I have done both Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire. I also experienced pain in my lower back and right hip after about two weeks of TF. I do have to say I was working out every day and I did not stop when I experienced pain.
    Eventually, after a month, I developed inflammation to the hipflexor and I had to quit the kicking. It took me three months to become pain free.
    As much as I love the rush of kickboxing and combat kind of workouts, unfortunately it appears to be not for me.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    I am very used to working out and I have done both Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire. I also experienced pain in my lower back and right hip after about two weeks of TF. I do have to say I was working out every day and I did not stop when I experienced pain.
    Eventually, after a month, I developed inflammation to the hipflexor and I had to quit the kicking. It took me three months to become pain free.
    As much as I love the rush of kickboxing and combat kind of workouts, unfortunately it appears to be not for me.

Ugh. I really hope mine eases up. I actually tried wearing sneakers today and that seemed to help a bit. I'm also more sore now than having actual pain like I was. I think I may be getting the Turbo Tuck down a little better.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Well, I do not have any major back problems - but when I first tried Turbo Jam, I really felt it in my mid-lower back for sure. I attempted to get the turbo tuck, but for the first month or so I just ignored the turbo tuck and did the moves. The pain went away and now I can do the turbo tuck no problem. (it has now been over a year and doing turbo fire now, but occasionally do turbo jam still)

If the pain persists after a week, get a dr's opinion. If this is a new exercise, it is normal to feel some muscle soreness.
  • livelaughloveandfitness
    Options
    It could be that your using muscles that you havnt used in awhile! i would advice doing the lower impacted moves for now! If you have any other questions let me know!
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I think that's truly what it is...using muscles I normally don't. If it gets to the point that I can't walk, I'll take it easy for a day or two. But so far it's been getting more bearable.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am doing focus T25 and experiencing the same thing. I think in my case it s just muscular. It is worse when I first wake but eases up after walking around a bit. I have been working through this, I have fibromyalgia so I am in pain a lot anyway whether I workout or not. It is getting better as I work through the programme.