Protein powder, your thoughts please?

Options
Hello all,

I am planning on starting a 90 meal plan from Blogilates, but she using protein powder for snacks that is supposed to be consumed everyday. Now, I am very skeptical about using it since it is not natural and also cost quite a bit considering that I will be needing to take it for a long time. I want to know your thoughts and experience with it. Should I buy it for better results or are there any other natural supplement that I can try instead of it.
Thank you!

Oh and I would love to find new friends here. Lets motivate each other <3

serene

Replies

• fitandGLAM
    Options
    I'm a big fan of protein powder! I use super advanced whey vanilla. Each scoop has 30g of protein. I use one scoop every morning after my work outs. (Wether it be in a shake or my old fashioned oatmeal) there are lots of recipes using Protein powder. I was skeptical at first, because I didn't want it to make me gain weight. If I have it in my shake, I use it as a meal replacement. I would just research whichever kind you buy. I recently saw a dr oz episode and a few powders were proven to have less protein than they were advertising, and a higher cholesterol. Also, some were tested positive for containing lead. I can only speak for the kind I use, and it works for me!
  • tserine
    tserine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thank you. WHich brand are you using now?
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey(30g)
    They have chocolate,vanilla,strawberry (I prefer vanilla since it goes well with everything)
    You can get it at Walmart for around $15.00
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    EAS whey protein or Naturade whey both vanilla...enjoy!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Cassey Ho is great and I'd bet her meal plan is pretty solid. She probably put the protein shake because of balancing macros (carbs/proteins/fats) in the best possible way. As it turns out, protein powder shakes are the most affordable way to get that extra bit of protein that you need on a calorie-restricted diet (affordable both in terms of calories and in terms of money, since it'd take a lot of meat/fish/eggs/cheese and therefore a lot of extra calories and a lot of extra money to get the protein you get from the shakes that you drink as a snack). As long as it supplements a healthy diet (and doesn't replace nutritious meals), it's a-okay. If you are interested in "natural", I use PVL Essentials Sport Whey which is sweetened with Stevia (instead of Sucralose, like many other brands). I get the Vanilla and it tastes great and has a great protein profile, plus lactase to help with dairy digestion and protease to help with protein digestion.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are really only useful if you have issues hitting your protein macro or if you're crunched for time. Sometimes, they save me on days i can't hit my target and lately I love it in my greek yogurt. Only use it if you need to, otherwise it's a waste of money for you. I can't stomach body fortress protein powder. I like optimum nutrition, trutein and cellucor brands so far, as far as smoothness and taste.
  • tserine
    tserine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are really only useful if you have issues hitting your protein macro or if you're crunched for time. Sometimes, they save me on days i can't hit my target and lately I love it in my greek yogurt. Only use it if you need to, otherwise it's a waste of money for you. I can't stomach body fortress protein powder. I like optimum nutrition, trutein and cellucor brands so far, as far as smoothness and taste.

Agreed. The only thing protein powder might have going for it over whole foods are cost (potentially) and convenience. There's no reason you need to incorporate protein powder into your diet, but if you find yourself low on protein for a given day, protein powder can be a convenient way to get that additional protein.

As for brands, I stick with Isopure (either unflavored or mint chocolate chip). I also have some unflavored casein I use on occasion as well.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    They are right about the convenience. If you can find a whole foods snack that will get you 24-30g of protein for about 130-140calories, you could probably sub it for the snack Cassey put in her meal plan. 0% Greek yogurt comes to mind, possibly some cheese like lowfat cottage cheese (I'm not crazy about lowfat or 0% dairy, but you have to cut the fat in order to cut the calories and keep the protein). There may be other alternatives, but just following the meal plan with the shake would probably be the easiest route.
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    I think body fortress is great!! And you can totally use it as a meal replacement, especially for breakfast .. Works great when you're on the go... Throw in 1c almond milk, some berries, 1/2c old fashioned oats, and a scoop of protein powder. So many recipes. If you have the time of course it's great to eat breakfast rather than drink it, but it sure is convenient and keeps me full for a while;) and helps me lose inhes/lbs !
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I love Kaizen Naturals Whey Isolate in Chocolate or Vanilla. :love:
  • michael300891
    Options
    Awesome, and it's no less natural than half the foods in the supermarket, but obviously cost is an important consideration.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Agreed. The only thing protein powder might have going for it over whole foods are cost (potentially) and convenience. There's no reason you need to incorporate protein powder into your diet, but if you find yourself low on protein for a given day, protein powder can be a convenient way to get that additional protein.

As for brands, I stick with Isopure (either unflavored or mint chocolate chip). I also have some unflavored casein I use on occasion as well.

Sorry - I'm a little puzzled here. Is there a distiction I am missing between protein powder and whey powder? You both poo-pooed the product, yet you both use it daily? I've been using Kaizen Naturals out of New Zealand.
  • michael300891
    Options
    You'll find a lot of people argue that you should try and get protein from a balanced diet and not protein powders.

But most people, including those who often suggest you avoid protein powders, do not have the time/money/commitment/resources/many other reasons so they actually use the products themselves.

The reality is, it doesn't really matter whether you get protein from your food, or from a supplement. The only thing's that matter are convenience and cost - of which supplements often excel.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I've been using Kaizen Naturals out of New Zealand.
    What flavour? I usually only get chocolate or vanilla, but am tempted to try Strawberry or Orange!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Sorry - I'm a little puzzled here. Is there a distiction I am missing between protein powder and whey powder? You both poo-pooed the product, yet you both use it daily? I've been using Kaizen Naturals out of New Zealand.

No one "poo-pooed" protein powder. They simply stated that getting protein from whole foods should be first and to use protein powder when that is not being met.

Most protein powders are whey. However, you can get pea, soy, casein, rice, etc. protein powders.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    I've been using Kaizen Naturals out of New Zealand.
    What flavour? I usually only get chocolate or vanilla, but am tempted to try Strawberry or Orange!

Natural flavour for use in smoothies with frozen bananas and either chocolate and peanut butter or other fruit I have. but recently I've tried the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry in a glass of whole milk. very tasty and filling.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hitting your protein without protein powder is actually easy if you eat meat and fish, so there's no real need for a protein powder to hit it. After 2 g per pound or kilogram (not sure anymore) you're body doesn't use it and it does't give you more benefit.

I have been using the iso-sensation 93 one lately and it's fine. It does help on the days I go meatless and I also usually have it after a workout because the powder protein is absorbed quicker by your muscle and the reparation of the muscle is faster ( is that true, i don't know and That's what as been keeping me to drink it. I'd have to do some research on that...)

There is a few kind of protein powder, some are designed to help gaining muscle and other like whey isolate are mostly used for people trying to lose weight. The whey one usually contains close to no sugars and no fat.
  • sjaplo
    Options

No one "poo-pooed" protein powder. They simply stated that getting protein from whole foods should be first and to use protein powder when that is not being met.

Most protein powders are whey. However, you can get pea, soy, casein, rice, etc. protein powders.

Not to split hairs, but when one poster uses the words "sometimes they save me on days I can't hit my macros..." and the other "There's no reason to incorporate protein in to your diet" I expect that the first would use it as a "supplement" and the second not at all. To use it daily and suggest differently to the OP is hypocritical.

But hey - that's just me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Not to split hairs, but when one poster uses the words "sometimes they save me on days I can't hit my macros..." and the other "There's no reason to incorporate protein in to your diet" I expect that the first would use it as a "supplement" and the second not at all. To use it daily and suggest differently to the OP is hypocritical.

But hey - that's just me.

Are you arguing just to argue? You took the second poster's comments out of context for whatever reason. Read the rest of the sentence where they state the same as the first poster. A lot of people would agree that meeting protein needs from whole foods is recommended, but supplementing is fine if you are having trouble doing so.