Why do people gain all their weight back so often?

Options

Replies

• AnnMarieFC
    AnnMarieFC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more tennisdude...separating the emotional connection is the toughest part for me. I lost 50 and have put 30 back on over three years. I stopped paying attention to portion sizes and tend to stress eat. I am back on track before I gained all back, but I had kept it off for 3 years before packing it back on. Very tough indeed, if it were not we wouldn't need this website or each others support.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My attitude is this is my life style change to eat healthier and maintain exercise.

Any change in diet or exercise habits is a change in lifestyle. But, whether you call it a lifestyle change or a diet, it can still change again. It's rare for anyone not to have several lifestyle changes over the course of their life.

In fact, changes in lifestyle are often what cause people to gain weight. They get married, they have children, they get a sedentary job, they lose a job, they get an injury, etc.

those sound like excuses to me :-)

Excuses are reasons.

no - getting married, having kids - those are EXCUSES

an injury is a REASON

don't confuse the two

Being pregnant,giving birth are huge events in the body that do a lot of damage that takes time to heal as well as hormonal changes that affect you. So....

Actually, they are all excuses. Since the calorie deficit is what is required for weight loss, any excuse to not eat at a deficit is just that, an excuse. Not being able to exercise doesn't mean you have to gain weight, it just means you can't increase your calorie deficit and/or work on fitness. There is a difference between fitness and weight loss.

What is the difference between an excuse not to control weight and a reason not to control weight?

A reason is something out of your control that prevents you from the correct behavior (as in, the reason I don't work out is because I have a broken leg). An excuse is something that is within your control that you use to rationalize your decision not to do it (I'm not working out today because I'm tired).

Choosing to eat too much and blaming it on other things as if those things distract you from eating less is using them as excuses. They aren't valid reasons.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My attitude is this is my life style change to eat healthier and maintain exercise.

Any change in diet or exercise habits is a change in lifestyle. But, whether you call it a lifestyle change or a diet, it can still change again. It's rare for anyone not to have several lifestyle changes over the course of their life.

In fact, changes in lifestyle are often what cause people to gain weight. They get married, they have children, they get a sedentary job, they lose a job, they get an injury, etc.

Excuses are reasons.

an injury is a REASON

don't confuse the two

Being pregnant,giving birth are huge events in the body that do a lot of damage that takes time to heal as well as hormonal changes that affect you. So....

Actually, they are all excuses. Since the calorie deficit is what is required for weight loss, any excuse to not eat at a deficit is just that, an excuse. Not being able to exercise doesn't mean you have to gain weight, it just means you can't increase your calorie deficit and/or work on fitness. There is a difference between fitness and weight loss.

What is the difference between an excuse not to control weight and a reason not to control weight?

A reason is something out of your control that prevents you from the correct behavior (as in, the reason I don't work out is because I have a broken leg). An excuse is something that is within your control that you use to rationalize your decision not to do it (I'm not working out today because I'm tired).

Choosing to eat too much and blaming it on other things as if those things distract you from eating less is using them as excuses. They aren't valid reasons.

The broken leg would not prevent you from eating less and controling your weight anymore than a distraction.

Given your description the only reason to gain weight would be forced feeding. But it seems more opinion than actual defintion of the word 'reason'. You see a reason as invalid so you call it an excuse. But that's not what those words mean.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with "restrictions" in my opinion and rather has to do with a lack of focus on the long-term. People hit their goal and then rest on their laurels. They stop doing what they did to lose weight and instead fall back into their old habits. If you previously gained weight with those old habits, odds are you will gain weight again when you revert to your old ways. It's really as simple as that. It doesn't matter whether you ate pop tarts while losing weight or whether you ate whole foods while losing weight; it comes down to what you do at maintenance.

I agree! Well said!

Yep, that is my situation. I think I got a little cocky, and next thing I new I had bad habits and had gained back 30 pounds after losing 65. At least not as bad as before-- I did retain some good habit and have never stopped exercising. (But then I exercised the whole time I gained, too, so with me at least exercise may not be a big factor one way or the other. I've exercised regularly since I was in my early 20s.)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Excuses are reasons.

an injury is a REASON

don't confuse the two

The broken leg would not prevent you from eating less and controling your weight anymore than a distraction.

Given your description the only reason to gain weight would be forced feeding. But it seems more opinion than actual defintion of the word 'reason'. You see a reason as invalid so you call it an excuse. But that's not what those words mean.

You need to work on reading things in context. I used both the broken leg and the tiredness as a person's reason or excuse to not exercise.
    Given any description, the only reason anyone gains weight is overeating. Eating at a calorie surplus. that's physics. You can rationalize it however you want, but you said yourself your marriage distracted you from your goals and you overate.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    because they view it as temporary

they feel that once the lose the weight, its mission accomplished and they can go back to what got them fat in the first place.

after many times doing this myself, i've accepted it as an on going process. hence the screen name
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Excuses are reasons.

an injury is a REASON

don't confuse the two

You need to work on reading things in context. I used both the broken leg and the tiredness as a person's reason or excuse to not exercise.
    Given any description, the only reason anyone gains weight is overeating. Eating at a calorie surplus. that's physics. You can rationalize it however you want, but you said yourself your marriage distracted you from your goals and you overate.

Reason for gaining weight, I chose to eat calorie surplus, agreed. Reason for the choice was marriage. It's not a choice I regret so I have no need for excuses.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    Because the BLERCH demands it! DUH!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think we all wish we were that trim person that doesn't have to worry about what they eat or weighing themselves, and when we get to our goal weight we pretend to be that person for a while, or maybe think that we became that person by losing the weight.

The reality is, we had to work really hard to get there, and still need to put in the effort to maintain it. I just don't have the metabolism to go around eating whatever I want... I wish I did, but I don't! And I don't think I realized that until I gained back half of the weight I'd lost (around the time that I signed up for MFP again this time last year lol)
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great thread, need to keep it as a reference.

I agree with most of the info here.

My little contribution is when you're fat you don't get how little you will need to eat (in comparison to what we used to do) to maintain.
    A smaller body needs less food. A life style change prepares us for that. Exercise helps us maintain that by balancing it out.

I've been in the overeating, trying to lose - mental place a lot of my life.
    The reality was I wanted to eat too much and do to little. My equation didn't add up and never would.
    I had to change the way I thought and be prepared to change my actions.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Its because people think of MFP as a diet instead of a lifestyle change.
    This!
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Without reading all of the responses. I would say it's becaus the person didn't adopt a lifestyle change and instead went on a diet. While you can gain your weight back quickly from a fad diet, you can also gain your weight back if you stopped following a reasonably portioned healthy eating regimen with exercise. You will slip backwards if you stop doing the things that better you.

Another reason may be because the person thought confidence would be found in weightloss. Increase, boost, and added confidence yes, but not the basis and foundation thereof. Thus, they still see fault, still suffer with the low self esteem troubles they had prior to, and before long, they physically returned to a place, where mentally, they never left. And before long, they don't even realized they gained the weight back because they still saw a flawed image when they looked in the mirror.

So for me, its adopting and maintaining a lifestlyle, and being confident in who I am and appreciating where I am in all phases to see the beauty in me and not slip backwards.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    And obviously this is reflected in the statistics that 95% of people will regain all weight lost (often more) within five years of the initial loss. I assume this percentage gets closer to 100% the longer you are monitoring people for.

More recent studies I've read suggest it's more like 80% failure in long-term weight loss, not 95% and approaching 100% over time. You aren't looking at great odds with a 1 in 5 success rate, but it's not nearly as bleak as you're making it out to be. Regardless of what the statistics indicate though, there is no hard limit on how many people can succeed and it's 100% up to you as an individual whether you succeed or fail.

Do you have any links for those figures? Would like to read these latest studies as everything I've seen does indeed paint a bleak picture. Also just to explain further - even if 20% can keep the weight off long term (defined here as longer than five years) the 80% who regain their weight are much more likely to increase beyond whatever their starting weight was (i.e. regain all they lost, plus extra). Obviously this becomes a compounding issue over the years of successive losses/gains. Also the health problems associated with weight loss and weight gain are really serious (arguably more so than being overweight and maintaining that size throughout your life).

Also I don't really think you can dichotomise health into "success" and "failure". There are varying degrees of both, and most people can only sustain a middle ground for their whole life.

ETA: I think a previous commenter is right that lower figures will include people who continually gain and lose the same 20kg, for example. So follow up monitoring might record them when they're on the losing streak and ignore that they are regaining that weight constantly.
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I lost and gained and now lost again about 45lbs in the past 5ish years, and for me it was a combination of a couple things. 1) I "dieted" instead of focusing on portion control, moderation, and good balanced nutrition. Not something that was sustainable for me, but I didn't know it at the time. 2) No maintenance, went right back to eating garbage and stopped exercising because I'm done now right?! Wrong. I finally educated myself, made a plan, focused on my health goals, and I am now confident that I can maintain this and enjoy the process so much more.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Probably because at some point they stop counting calories.

During the restrictive portion control style diet, they have still been eating the same sort of foods they would have been when they weren't counting calories.

Rather than try and change the types of food they eat, which will better control the hormones in their bodies, which in turn will control the cravings, they've just struggle through eating less of the (Moorish stuff).

When they stop the counting, they consume more calories and the weight goes back on.

I love food, I like the way it tastes and the way it makes me feel - but at the end of the day it's fuel for our bodies, pure and simple.

You can still get enjoyment out of eating a more limited range of food, but get past the emotional connection and you've cracked it.

Cracking by the way is the hard part!!!

This is me! everything he just said is me! except for the cracking the emotional connection to food. haven't done that yet. Plus the Minute I stop counting calories I wake up and I have put back on 20 pounds I just lost. We all know it comes on a whole lot faster then it comes off. I am trying now to focus on true hunger as apposed to wanting to eat something.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    because they view it as temporary

they feel that once the lose the weight, its mission accomplished and they can go back to what got them fat in the first place.

after many times doing this myself, i've accepted it as an on going process. hence the screen name

I agree with this to, no finish line!
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Because the BLERCH demands it! DUH!

This. I let my focus get distracted and the blerch won.

I am not going to make excuses, I am going to state exactly what happened to me, no value judgement, just facts. May of 2012 I was down to 145lbs. I had never in my adult life ( like since I was twelve) weighed that little. Summer I went out on a lot of first dates, ate and drank and put moderation on the back burner. I was celebrating how much differently everyone was treating me. Even knowing that 90+% of people regain their lost weight, and that my metabolism may be slower than someone who had always been small, I let caution and monitoring fall by the wayside. When I got back home to my scale I was up to 160 again. No biggie, I thought, I'll just start exercising and eating right again and it'll come back off. Then I started medical school.

Turns out, after not being in school for a bunch of years I sucked at time management. For the first six months I barely had time to bathe let alone exercise and that is no one's fault but mine. Also about that time I found a lump in my neck. My hair started falling out. I started to get weird bruises all over my body. I was cold all the time. I had to take a nap in the afternoon because I was just so mentally and physically fatigued. It was all I could do to keep my grades up.

Fast forward to November 2013. I am back up to 200lbs - still under where I started - and we finally get to learning about endocrine disorders at school. I felt like I was slapped in the face with a big old "of course you dummy" sign. I ended up getting a bunch of testing and blood work and about a month ago I finally got diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an auto immune disorder that attacks and destroys your thyroid gland over time. Now I am on levothyroxine replacement and am starting to grow my hair back and can actually stay awake through a 16hour day with workouts.

I am not making an excuse for my self. I relaxed my eating, decreased my activity level and increased my stress. That alone would have precipitated weight gain. The thyroid issues just make it that much harder to achieve the appropriate food/activity balance.

Never again though. This bull is bull. Stupid lazy blerch.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really believe tracking every last thing that we put in our mouth. Being totally honest about it. I find if I go over one day because I just didn't care that day, but I track everything, the next morning when I look back at what I did I find myself saying "ok girl you can't do that two days in a row, you will behave today", and I do.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    You need to make changes and try to make these changes a habit. Very few of us can do this for the long term.