On the go and in the car....A lot!

Options
When I find myself on the go, I never plan ahead and end up eating crap! Eating out I think is the worst. What do you all do when you are on the go and need to eat healthy?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    small cooler
    good sandwiches
    fruits
    veggies with hummus or low fat dip
    WATER WATER WATER

I lost 36 pounds driving around all day. First I made all fast food OFF LIMITS. Period. I remember the 1st week going in to use the potty and buying 2 burgers, fries and a diet coke. :noway: the smell drove me to it!

The trick is to change your 'car' mindset. Whenever I went on trips with the family we loaded up on chips, soda, beef jerkey.....and I ended up fat and bloated.

Now I have baby carrots, grapes, strawberries........lots of yummy stuff.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Almost every place has a healthier option than the regular. Chicken sandwich instead of burger, yogurt instead of fries, water instead of soda, salads instead of . . . well anything :-) If you can't bring something then just look for the healthiest thing they have and have that. and / or only eating part of it will help reduce the calories too.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    Subs! There seem to be sub places everywhere near where I live, I imagine it's similar everywhere. A small veggie sub, on whole wheat, with tons of toppings, and light mayo, is only 400cals or so. For a whole meal I think that's great! :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Subs! There seem to be sub places everywhere near where I live, I imagine it's similar everywhere. A small veggie sub, on whole wheat, with tons of toppings, and light mayo, is only 400cals or so. For a whole meal I think that's great! :)

400 for a small? Crazy! Subway 6 inch is 240 for a ham sub with lots of veggies. I vouch for the small cooler idea #1, Subway is only by necessity if you forgot something. The sodium level is very, very high.
  • arbellas
    arbellas Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I keep a lunch box with me with healthy snacks...

Apple slices with goat cheese
    Veggies with hummus
    A slice of light style bread (45 calories) with a little peanut butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Kashi Granola Bars

Cause if I don't keep healthy snacks with me I binge on really unhealthy food. And when I don't have time to pack myself snacks before I leave, I try to find a starbucks and I get a tall skim vanilla latte and they have great healthy snacks to choose from (even though the pastries ALWAYS look good!) like a yogurt parfait or their little protein packs.

Hope that helps!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to always think of car trips as a ticket to all the junk foods! Fast food, candy, soda.. probably didn't let very many minutes pass without putting something in my mouth! :embarassed:

So, yes, planning ahead and packing some healthy snacks would be key. If you love to snack in the car: fruit, nuts, cheese sticks, 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags (you could pop them at rest stops), drink lots of water.... if you HAVE to buy food on the go, just make the best choices you can like mentioned before. Grilled chicken sandwiches (not fried), reduce fat and calories by holding the mayo and or cheese on the sandwich. I've read that Wendy's small chili is a good, protein packed item. You could eat it with half of one of their baked potatoes. Pass on french fries, onion rings, etc... if you need to snack with your sandwich and didn't bring anything with you, some places, (like Subway) offere baked chips. Try to get some fresh fruits and veggies on the road when you can. Keep drinking lots of water to stay hydrated and flush out any extra sodium you might intake from the fast foods you've picked up.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just pack a cooler all the time.. I found an amazing cooler/lunchbag from www.sixpackbags.com

LOVE THEM!! :D
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Might be handy to keep a few good protein bars with you too. I would avoid the higher calorie "energy" bars like Cliff, etc since you aren't really going to be active. I like Detour low sugar bars and Pure Protein bars.

Edit to add...... even if you can't pack ahead of time, you can always run into a grocery store to pay an individual cup of greek yogurt and some fresh fruit!
  • AislynneRobot
    AislynneRobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I keep a lunch box with me with healthy snacks...

Apple slices with goat cheese
    Veggies with hummus
    A slice of light style bread (45 calories) with a little peanut butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Kashi Granola Bars

Cause if I don't keep healthy snacks with me I binge on really unhealthy food. And when I don't have time to pack myself snacks before I leave, I try to find a starbucks and I get a tall skim vanilla latte and they have great healthy snacks to choose from (even though the pastries ALWAYS look good!) like a yogurt parfait or their little protein packs.

Hope that helps!

This is good. I didn't mention that I am Glutan free. Thank you!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have one of those insulated cooler bags (travel size, not huge) that I keep in the car at all times. As I run out the door, I'll grab my water (w/ 2 extras just in case), some fruit that is always now on stock in my fridge and either one of my meal replacements bars or shakes .. just in case I am out during a meal time. Proud to say I haven't had a fast food take out in weeks.
  • sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to memorize the lowest calorie items for fast food...

& kids meals with apples instead of fries is good too, I know they have that at least at McDonalds

the one cool thing is that when you budget your calories, you often spend less too and sometimes it's fun because you feel like you're "cheating" but actually not :-D
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    How about keeping a small container of low fat peanut butter and a box of your favorite brand of gluten free table crackers in your car?