Half Marathon training plan needed.

Options
Good day all - I am currently on the search for a half marathon training plan and I can't find one that suits me so looking for recomendations.

I am a regular runner so not starting from nothing and I completed a half marathon in September last year. My goal this time is just to beat my time, which should be easy enough as I did a lot of walking breaks (2.27.19) so it's not like I am looking to set any world records here.

I've not been running that much lately and have only just introduced a little speedwork to my schedule. I tend to do one easy fun of about 3 - 4 miles, one long run at around 6 - 7 miles and one speedwork session at 2 - 3 miles per week at the moment (so around 10 - 15 miles total).

The half is still 3 months away so plenty of time to get up to speed I reckon.

Perhaps the reason I can't find a plan I like though is because I want to have my cake and eat it - the last plan I followed for my first half was pretty much everyday was about running, wether it be resting, running or stretching, every day was taken up with training for the half and I like to be able to do other things as well. I currently do Body Pump and Body Combat twice a week and Spin at least once a week and I'd like to be able to keep at least a few of those while training for the half.

So any suggestions?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you go on runnersworld.com and put in a recent race time and the date of your half, it will create a training plan for you. It incorporates slow runs, speed work, and tempo runs. This includes about 4 days per week of running. I am continuing two days of cross training per week while doing the program.
  • brookfield58
    brookfield58 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have used both hal higden and the Bupa one from the website. Both did the job and the beginners ones only need you to run 3 -4 times a week.

Good luck with your training.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Runners world has them. Hal Higdon has several. Check the race's website ... I know the half I'm doing in June has a training plan on its site.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Good day all - I am currently on the search for a half marathon training plan and I can't find one that suits me so looking for recomendations.

I am a regular runner so not starting from nothing and I completed a half marathon in September last year. My goal this time is just to beat my time, which should be easy enough as I did a lot of walking breaks (2.27.19) so it's not like I am looking to set any world records here.

I've not been running that much lately and have only just introduced a little speedwork to my schedule. I tend to do one easy fun of about 3 - 4 miles, one long run at around 6 - 7 miles and one speedwork session at 2 - 3 miles per week at the moment (so around 10 - 15 miles total).

The half is still 3 months away so plenty of time to get up to speed I reckon.

Perhaps the reason I can't find a plan I like though is because I want to have my cake and eat it - the last plan I followed for my first half was pretty much everyday was about running, wether it be resting, running or stretching, every day was taken up with training for the half and I like to be able to do other things as well. I currently do Body Pump and Body Combat twice a week and Spin at least once a week and I'd like to be able to keep at least a few of those while training for the half.

So any suggestions?

Dump the speedwork completely and run more slow, easy miles. Get your long runs up to 2hrs/~15 miles (yes, longer than HM). 10-15 MPW does not warrant speedwork, and your aerobic base probably doesn't support it.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    ^ Can you expand on why you think the speedwork isn't needed? Most plans I have seen have at least some speedwork in them. Thanks :)

And thanks all for the suggestions, I will check them out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I like your program, 3 main things.

Low Aerobic fat-burning training from long run.
    High Aerobic pace training from short run.
    Interval training for strength pace improvements.

The biggest thing is confirming you get the most from those workouts, and great recovery from them, because that's going to be hampered while on a diet.

And most training programs you find are NOT setup for someone being in a diet with slower recovery. And as you found, all the running they do is too much while on a diet, at least compared to lighter program.

Considering the good recommendation to not increase mileage more than 10% weekly, do that increase only on the weekend longer run.
    Make that per distance working up to 14 miles probably, go by HR to stay in lower Aerobic HR zone. Do the job/walk intervals during training if easier on the joints, totally valid method.
    Leave the shorter run at 1 hr, I'd suggest setting goal at upper Aerobic HR zone. If you keep getting more fit, you'll increase the distance even at the same HR. That's fine.
    Good strong intervals or hill sprints, not fartleks, for increasing muscle strength for what you need. Fartleks are good for training existing muscle how to go faster, but if you need more, it's not as effect as straight intervals.
    1 hr total, but that should include 10 min warm-up and cool-down each, the remaining 40 min very strong.
    If intervals, must be outside, go for HIIT.
    10 min warm-up walk.
    15 second all out as hard as you can go.
    3 x as long so 45 sec on walking phase to recover well enough.
    10 x that, so 10 min total.
    Slow walk/jog for about 20 min recovery.
    Then 1 min sprint as fast as you can, keep pace the same through the minute.
    Then walk 1 min.
    5 x that for 10 min.
    10 min cool-down.

If you have some hills around, only need 1 good one, though 2 for variety is nice, you can alternate weeks between uphill sprints and HIIT.
    Just need a decent steep hill for 30-45 sec hard push, then walk back down for recover for 90-135 sec, slow jog a bit and sprint up again.
    Probably need 10 min warm-up and cool-down walk, and 10 min warm-up and cool-down jog, these are tough. That leaves 20 min of the hill sprints.

Need a rest day before and after the HIIT / hill sprint day. Gotta go in with full energy, and allow repair day after, though some walking would help recovery.

The above is take from a training program many years ago, leaving out a couple other runs that you could do, but might be hard to fit in.
    You could do another aerobic workout, like Spin. But that's usually so intense, it would be hard to place it without messing up good training or recovery for the running. You don't want it the day before any of the runs, but you could do it the day after the 1 hr aerobic run. That doesn't need much recovery.

Or better, lift some weights on that day after, full body, to help retain muscle mass doing all this cardio while on a diet - you are primed for burning some off, and you don't want that.
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

He is a former Olympian. He has 5k, 10k, half, and full programs. Various ones in each category for beginners and advanced runners. I used his 10k plan for a 10k I ran in January and it was awesome. I highly recommend his programs to anyone.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    ^ Can you expand on why you think the speedwork isn't needed? Most plans I have seen have at least some speedwork in them. Thanks :)

I don't think - I know :) It's not needed because you're mileage (aerobic capacity) is too low for it to be of any benefit. You said you run 10-15MPW and you ran/walked your last HM. You'd get more bang for your buck by adding more slow, easy runs, gradually increasing a weekly long run to 15-16mi, and keeping them all nice and easy (think 60-70% effort). I went an entire year without speedwork (I listened to the fast people) and brought my HM time down 30min, 10K by 20min, and 5K by 4min simply by building my mileage base up to ~35 MPW and consistent LSD runs.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I did a bunch of additional exercise while following Hal Higdon's Novice 1. One day per week was an interval running class at my gym instead of one of his training sessions. I also did yoga, brazilian jiujitsu, and cycling. For me, I just wanted to get a plan for mileage ramping and not a holistic plan for exactly what I should do. I'm currently following his Novice 1 marathon plan. Only a few weeks in, but I'm hoping I can do the same thing there.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    I just completed my first HM this weekend (whoo!) - I used Hal Higdon's Novice-2 plan and it saw me finish in a time of 2:07:11, with no walk breaks.

I'd second the guy who said you don't need speedwork. I've been running for 12 months, and have not done any speedwork at all, simply been building my base aerobic fitness. In those 12 months my 5k time has dropeed from 34mins to 28:16 and my 10k time has dropped by 3 minutes from 63:10 to 60:08. All of those gains have been down to simply running more miles each week. I'd suggest you simply focus on completing the distance without walking breaks - which will most likely get you a better time anyway - rather than any investment in speedwork.

Good luck!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I don't think - I know :) It's not needed because you're mileage (aerobic capacity) is too low for it to be of any benefit. You said you run 10-15MPW and you ran/walked your last HM. You'd get more bang for your buck by adding more slow, easy runs, gradually increasing a weekly long run to 15-16mi, and keeping them all nice and easy (think 60-70% effort). I went an entire year without speedwork (I listened to the fast people) and brought my HM time down 30min, 10K by 20min, and 5K by 4min simply by building my mileage base up to ~35 MPW and consistent LSD runs.

Listen to this guy! I've also seen results (less dramatic) by decreasing the intensity of my runs and increasing the total volume. The faster you run, the more anaerobic your energy source will be, the less you will be developing your aerobic system, which is the primary type of fitness you need for the half-marathon.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Completely agree. Speed work is dependent upon having an aerobic base to support it. One does not develop and appropriate aerobic base on 15 MPW. More miles, run easily, will benefit you far more than the speed work and also provide you with less chance of injury because, not only do we need the aerobic base, but the running muscles and connective tissue need to become accustomed to the rigors of running before we can put them through the stress of speed work.

Additionally, speed work is designed to hone and optimize the speed that you already posses, that you have derived from your aerobic base. Doing speed work in the lead up to a HM may gain you a full minute off your time if you are lucky. Doing base work will garner you far more than that.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - very informative. I will have a reread of what has been said, do a little research online and perhaps come back with more questions.

I guess I don't know much about the aerobic base you are talking of - so yeah, I need to go and educate myself about my aerobic base first I think :)
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Completely agree. Speed work is dependent upon having an aerobic base to support it. One does not develop and appropriate aerobic base on 15 MPW. More miles, run easily, will benefit you far more than the speed work and also provide you with less chance of injury because, not only do we need the aerobic base, but the running muscles and connective tissue need to become accustomed to the rigors of running before we can put them through the stress of speed work.

Additionally, speed work is designed to hone and optimize the speed that you already posses, that you have derived from your aerobic base. Doing speed work in the lead up to a HM may gain you a full minute off your time if you are lucky. Doing base work will garner you far more than that.

Just curious what mileage do you think someone should run each week to have a good base for a half marathon distance? I consider myself to have a pretty good base but typically only run 15 to 20 miles a week (usually 3 shorter runs and one long run). I've been running for two years now and completed one half marathon. I have not done any speed work until this year while training for my second half. And I use the term speed work loosely LOL. The runner's world plan set the target speeds based on my recent 10K race time. So, my 3 easy runs each week are at a slow pace, and then I'll alternate between a tempo run one week and some speed work the next. That speed work is a doable pace for me at a lower distance (right now around 4 miles).
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Just curious what mileage do you think someone should run each week to have a good base for a half marathon distance? I consider myself to have a pretty good base but typically only run 15 to 20 miles a week (usually 3 shorter runs and one long run). I've been running for two years now and completed one half marathon. I have not done any speed work until this year while training for my second half. And I use the term speed work loosely LOL. The runner's world plan set the target speeds based on my recent 10K race time. So, my 3 easy runs each week are at a slow pace, and then I'll alternate between a tempo run one week and some speed work the next. That speed work is a doable pace for me at a lower distance (right now around 4 miles).

I like to think in terms of time and then convert that to mileage, depending on your level of fitness.

In order to really be driving your aerobic base forward, I usually suggest a base consisting of 5 runs per week. Three at 60 minutes, one at 75 minutes and a long run of 90 to 120 minutes. That adds up to right around 6 hours of running per week, give or take.

So, for the runner that is averaging a 10:00 miles, you are looking at about 35 miles per week.

I should also not that base mileage does not mean running all your runs at an easy, conversational pace. Most of them, but not all. Base should consists of two other elements, a tempo run and some strides.

Tempo doesn't need to be more than 40 minutes of any given run, 20 minutes is sufficient (according to Jack Daniels, recognized as one of the best running coaches in the world). The pace of your tempo runs will range between your AT and LT paces. AT is usually around marathon pace (when you have developed one) and the AT pace is the pace you can sustain for about an hour. For slower runners, this might be 10K pace, for the faster runners, closer to HM pace. Tempo of 20 minutes during one of the runs (I suggest the one that last 75 minutes) will provide great benefit.

8 to 10 strides once per week will also provide great benefit. They help with form, running economy, recruitment of fast twitch fibers and comfort with running fast. They only need to be 20 secs (100m) long and should have a nice recovery between (60 to 90 seconds). They are done fast. Not all out sprint, but at your last 100m of a race kick pace.

When I am doing HM type training (or for the 10 miler I'm doing this weekend), this is really all that I do. There is no running intervals at faster than my projected race pace. It doesn't make sense to train at faster than race pace when you need to aerobic base and LT capacity to get the most performance at that distance.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Interesting info, thanks! My 4 runs per week, due to my snail's pace LOL, equates to about 4 hours a week, so below your projected 6. Given the other things that I do (strength training twice a week, and well, raising 3 kids and working full time LOL), I can't really commit 6 hours a week to running. I also have no desire to go beyond a HM distance. I'll continue with the training plan Runner's World set up, and see what my half looks like in May. It's projecting to cut quite a bit of time off but I don't buy it.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Interesting info, thanks! My 4 runs per week, due to my snail's pace LOL, equates to about 4 hours a week, so below your projected 6. Given the other things that I do (strength training twice a week, and well, raising 3 kids and working full time LOL), I can't really commit 6 hours a week to running. I also have no desire to go beyond a HM distance. I'll continue with the training plan Runner's World set up, and see what my half looks like in May. It's projecting to cut quite a bit of time off but I don't buy it.

You need to do what's best for you. Your 4 hours a week running is going to make you faster over time if you are consistent. Good luck with your HM. Can't wait to hear about your positive results!
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

Half Marathon Training

Half Marathon To Finish—for runners and walkers (scroll down for the “Time Goal Schedule”)
    How to Train for a Half Marathon by Jeff

This program is designed for those who have been doing some running or walking for a few weeks. If you think that you need more conditioning before starting the program, use the “Conditioning Program”.

Note: This is the minimum that I’ve found necessary to finish with strength. If you are already running/walking more than this amount and are able to recover between workouts, you may continue to do what you are doing—but be careful.

1. I don’t recommend that first-time half marathon participants try for a time goal. Do the first one to finish, running/walking at a comfortable training pace.

2. To begin this program, you should have done a long run/walk within the past 2 weeks of at least 3 miles. If your long one is not this long, then gradually increase the weekend run/walk to this distance before starting this program.

3. (Runners) What is my current level of performance? Read the chapter in the book on “Choosing The Right Goal…”. After you have run 3-4 “magic miles” (MM), multiply by 1.2. This tells you what you are currently capable of running in a half marathon right now (at a very hard effort), when the temperature is 60° F or below and when you have done the long runs listed in the schedule. Even in the half marathon itself, I don’t recommend running this fast—un at the training pace that was comfortable for you on your last long runs.

4. (Runners) What pace should I run on the long ones? Take your MM time and multiply by 1.3. Then add 2 minutes. The result is your suggested long run pace per mile on long runs at 60F or cooler. It is always better to run slower than this pace.

5. Walkers and runners should pace the long one so there’ no huffing and puffing—even at the end.

6. When the temperature rises above 60° F: runners slow down by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 60° F. Walkers slow down enough to avoid huffing and puffing.

7. Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the pace used (Runners).
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

8. Walkers use the walk-shuffle ratio that works for you to avoid huffing and puffing

9. It is fine to do cross training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if you wish. There will be little benefit to your running/walking in doing this, but you’l increase your fatburning potential. Don’t do exercises like stair machines that use the calf muscle on cross training days.

10. Be sure to take a vacation from strenuous exercise on the day before your weekend runs/walks.

11. An optional pace run TT is noted on the Tuesday run. To get used to a pace you want to run in the race itself, time yourself for a mile, and take the walk breaks as you will do them in the race.

12. Have fun!

Half Marathon Training Schedule for Runners and Walkers
    Week Monday Tuesday TT Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 off 30 min run off 25 min run easy walk off 3 miles
    2 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 4 miles
    3 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 5 miles
    4 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 2.5 miles
    5 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 6.5 miles
    6 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 3 miles with MM
    7 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 8 miles
    8 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 3 miles with MM
    9 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 9.5 miles
    10 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 4 miles
    11 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 11 miles
    12 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 4 miles with MM
    13 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 12.5 miles
    14 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 4 miles with MM
    15 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 14 miles
    16 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 5 miles
    17 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off Half Marathon Race
    18 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 5 miles
    19 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 6-8 miles
    Half Marathon – Time Goal for runners

Note: This is the minimum that I’ve found necessary to prepare for the goal. If you are already running more than this amount and are able to recover between workouts, you may continue to do what you are doing—but be careful.
    1. I don’t recommend that first-time half marathoners try for a time goal. Run the first one to finish, running mostly at a comfortable training pace.

2. To begin this program, you should have done a long run within the past 2 weeks of at least 5 miles. If your long one is not this long, gradually increase the weekend run to this distance before starting this program.

3. What is my current level of performance? Read the chapter in the book on “Choosing The Right Goal…”. After you have run 3-4 “magic miles” (MM), multiply by 1.2. This tells you what you are currently capable of running in a half marathon right now (at a very hard effort), when the temperature is 60° F or below and when you have done the long runs and speed training listed in the schedule.

4. What pace should I run on the long ones? Take your MM time and multiply by 1.3. Then add 2 minutes. The result is your suggested long run pace per mile on long runs at 60° F or cooler. It is always better to run slower than this pace.

5. Pace the long one so that you aren’t’ huffing and puffing—even at the end.

6. When the temperature rises above 60° F: Slow down by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 60° F on long runs and the race itself.

7. Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the pace used.
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds)
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3-1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2- 1
    13 min/mi—-1-1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

8. It is fine to do cross training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if you wish. There will be little benefit to your running in doing this, but you’ll increase your fat-burning potential. Don’ do exercises like stair machines that use the calf muscle on non-running days.

9. Be sure to take a vacation from strenuous exercise on the day before your weekend runs.

10. At the beginning of the program, after you have run 2 MMs, you can choose a goal that is as fast as 30 seconds per mile faster than predicted by the process indicated in # 3—r any goal that is slower than this. (Read the “leap of faith goal” segment of the “Choosing The Right Pace” chapter.)

11. To prepare for your goal, 800-meter speedwork is included on non-long-run weekends. To compute your pace for the 800-meter (2 laps around a track), take half the time of your goal pace per mile, as you decided according to #10 above, and subtract 15 seconds.

12. Warm up for each 800-meter repeat workout by walking for 5 minutes, then jogging very slowly for 5-10 minutes. Then do 4-8 acceleration-gliders (see the segment about this in “Drills” chapter of Galloway Training book). Reverse this process as your warm down, leaving out the acceleration gliders.

13. Walk 2:30 to 3 min between each 800-meter repeat.

14. At the end of the first lap, walk for 10-30 seconds—but don’t stop your stopwatch. The time for each 800 should be from the start until you finish the second lap.

15. If you have recovered from the weekend workout on Tuesday, run a mile at race pace (noted as “p” on the Tue line). After an easy warmup, run 4 of the cadence drills (CD) and 4 acceleration-gliders (Acg). These are described in the Drill section of my Galloway Training book. Then run a mile segment at goal pace, taking the walk breaks as you plan to do them in the race. Jog for the rest of your run.

16. On long runs and the race itself, slow down when the temperature rises above 60° F: by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 60° F or more.

17. It is fine to do cross training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if you wish. There will be little benefit to your running in doing this, but you’ll increase your fatburning potential. Don’t do exercises like stair machines that use the calf muscle on non-running days.

18. Be sure to take a vacation from strenuous exercise on the day before your weekend runs.

19. Have fun!

Half Marathon Training Schedule for Time Goal Runners
    Wk Mon Tue Wed Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 off 30 min run off 30 min run easy walk off 5 miles
    2 off 35 min run/MM off 35 min run easy walk off 6 miles
    3 off 35 min run off 35 min run easy walk off 7.5 miles
    4 off 45 min run/MM off 40 min run easy walk off 4 x 800
    5 off 45 min run off 40 min run easy walk off 9 miles
    6 off 45 min run/MM off 45 min run easy walk off 6 x 800
    7 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 11 miles
    8 off 45 min run/MM off 45 min run easy walk off 8 x 800
    9 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 13 miles
    10 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 10 x 800
    11 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 15 miles
    12 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 12 x 800
    13 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 17 miles
    14 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off Easy 5 miles/MM
    15 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off Goal Half Race
    16 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 4 miles
    17 off 45 min run off 45 min run easy walk off 6-12 miles - See more at: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/#sthash.9dpBKPWj.dpuf
  • omma_to_3
    Options

You need to do what's best for you. Your 4 hours a week running is going to make you faster over time if you are consistent. Good luck with your HM. Can't wait to hear about your positive results!

Yes, I've definitely improved my time significantly over the last 2 years. I used to finish my races in the bottom 10% to 15% and now, I'm usually between the 50% and 60%. Hoping to shave 15 to 20 minutes off my HM time this time, but, my training was derailed for a bit due to some family issues. I should be faster, but by how much remains to be seen! I did make my biggest speed gains when I finally accepted the idea of slow, easy runs and just SLOWED DOWN.