Eating Vegetables: Can you eat too much Veggies?

Options

Replies

• Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Some guy drank like 10 gallons of carrot juice in 6 days and died from overdose of vitamin A. But it's better to eat fresh veggies than processed chips. Just eat within your calories and you'll be fine... Unless all of your calories are from spinach...
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am having restroom problems with urgency.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of switching over to a vegetarian diet. I see some resources to look at in this thread that I will look up. Thank You. And I also will look more into ORAC values. See if I can find some vegetarian distance runners also on FB and discuss their diets.

Thanks All. Lots to learn.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    How are you "maintaining" on ~1600 calories? You said about 1/3 of your calories are coming from fruits and vegetables...
  • ibleedunionblue
    Options
    How are you "maintaining" on ~1600 calories? You said about 1/3 of your calories are coming from fruits and vegetables...

No I'm not on 1600 calories. I just gave a recent day for an example.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat too many carrots you'll turn orange. So there's that, lol.

I'd forgotten that! How could I? It happened to me!

Mind you, I was eating about a kilo raw a day (over 2lb), for weeks. My hands went bright orange, and my overall complexion was rather off. Not quite oompa loompa, but definitely not right! :laugh:

Luckily, it reverses quickly when you stop / cut down radically.
  • ibleedunionblue
    Options
    I wanted to post once more on topic. Taking a class in Environmental Science. Todays reading assignment "eating meat is far less energy-efficient than relying on vegetarian diet... eating lower on food chain (veg diet) puts greater proportion of suns energy to use as food. When feeding grain to a cow, we lose much of grains energy to the cow's metabolism. As energy moves from one trophic level to another, up to 90% is lost to cellular respiration." paraphrasing.

So anyhow, some science behind a decision to select a more energy efficient diet. As a distance runner / marathoner, I am looking for a sustaining diet. I havent taken full plunge to being a vegetarian, but its safe to say that I'm done with red meat and am limiting myself to 1 serving of chicken, turkey or fish a day.

BTW, I respect differences of opinion and reasons for and against a vegetarian diet. My reasons have everything to do with diet & energy. And clearly, I need to consume more calories as I continue to lose weight even after going to maintenance. I just checked charts and I am down 15 pounds since early November.

One thing of note, was tipped off about ultramarathoner Scott Jurek and he wrote a book about his diet & training. I ordered off amazon and am so looking forward to Jurek's book and learning more.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal?
    What is your BMR?
    Do you eat your running calories back?
    How much protein to you get each day? As an endurance athlete, you need more protein than most people.
    Thanks!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    you CAN eat too much of anything... It would be really hard with veggies though... excluding carrots/corn/potatos (if you consider that a veggie)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. Look at all the vegans and vegetarians out there. We mostly eat TOO FEW VEGGIES. I eat Dr Joel Fuhrman's gombs diet bitter GREENS like kale, collards, turnsip greens, ONIONS, MUSHROOMs, BEANS, BERRIES AND SEEDS to fight cancer which killed my sister. Most are best eaten raw but some like beans must be cooked to acquire their nutrients. If you start eating lots of beans and cruciferous veggies that protect you from cancer (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) you can expect some gas but that goes away quickly. Dr Fuhrman think we are hungry for the nutrients in these veggies and that is a part of our weight problem.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    ** many
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No I'm not on 1600 calories. I just gave a recent day for an example.

you said you were still loosing even though you switched to maintenance.

which means- you aren't on maintenance.

eat more food if you want to maintane.

I personally CAN eat to many- I get bloated and feel gross- and then I'm still hungry. There is definitely a "too much" mark for me.
  • ibleedunionblue
    Options
    you said you were still loosing even though you switched to maintenance.

which means- you aren't on maintenance.
    I officially moved to maintenance a couple months ago. I'm still losing some weight, mostly because I am marathon training and running 70 miles a week. (Approx 90 minutes of exercise in an average day)

If you would take the time to read the entire thread - I do post what the problem is - I am running 70 miles or more a week. That's a lot of calories getting burned. I'm guessing very few people on here are running 10 miles or more a day. I'm finding it difficult to eat that many calories when so much of my intake are vegetables.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If you are running on a deficit and running 70 miles a week and are unintentionally still losing weight, I'd switch out some of those veggies for trail mix, nut butters, and nutrient-dense foods that don't fill you up so much. Assuming you don't want to keep losing weight.

Not that veggies are bad, but if its interfering with you meeting a reasonable calorie goal...
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are some GREAT documentaries to watch regarding the nutritive value of fruits and veggies -- "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" & "Forks Over Knives". I think everybody should watch them -- they are VERY Motivational!!. We don't eat NEARLY enough vegetables -- NO WAY to eat too many! Also do some research on Dr. Furhman -- very interesting nutritional information.

Loved your post!
    I'm a huge believer on juicing and eating raw/vegan.

Those are amazing documentaries and more people need to watch them.

Its crazy how people think if too much veggies is a bad thing.

We all need to eat more, last I checked no one died from eating too much of the good stuff!
  • ibleedunionblue
    Options
    If you are running on a deficit and running 70 miles a week and are unintentionally still losing weight, I'd switch out some of those veggies for trail mix, nut butters, and nutrient-dense foods that don't fill you up so much. Assuming you don't want to keep losing weight.

Not that veggies are bad, but if its interfering with you meeting a reasonable calorie goal...

Yeah, I'm in an unintended deficit mode some days. Like yesterday with an 18 mile long training run. Agree that I need to be adding more calories on some days. Will need to hit the grocery and look for some healthy options. Thanks.
  • jimmecrackcorn
    Options
    As a running you should not consume too much vitamin k in your body. Runners tend to lose a lot of fluids while running and when you're losing all your fluids and consuming too much vitamin k, you're heading for a disaster (Stroke). The vitamin K in your blood reacts with the enzyme gamma-glutamyl ... proteins can bind to cells and make them gel together to thicken your blood. Thicker blood means your heart needs to work harder. Please be very careful with the consumption of vitamin K (Green Leaf Vegetables).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIEapnX9F3g
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Firstly - CONGRATS on reaching your goal! (*)

And when it comes to veggies honestly I don't think there's much that can go wrong with eating 'too much' veggies.

Fruit - yes because of the sugar, veggies, not so much. (Think vegetarians, vegan).

If I'm particularly famished for whatever reason, I will portion out more veggies because essentially I think of it as 'free' calories. "Free" as in I can have an absurd portion for very small amount of calories compared to protein. For example, I can have 2.5 cups of veggies for less than 70 calories (baked broccoli, mushroom, green beans, carrots, spinach mix) ... that's a win-win in my book. ;)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You must have some epic bathroom experiences. Lol. I used to eat 11-13 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. It became a really expensive habit. I strive for 5 vegetables and 1 fruit servings a day, but usually end up with 4-5 servings total. Like others said, as long as you're getting your fats and proteins, you're probably ok.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the fiber. Fiber is a good thing. Complex carbohydrates are carbs with 2 or more grams of fiber for every 100 calories. Fiber is a carb. but unlike other carbs. they don't digest. While the body is trying to digest the fiber it is burning 7 calories for every gram of fiber consumed. The fiber passes through your digestive system cleaning it out. Soluble fiber follows along behind it and further cleanses the walls in the digestive track. This fiber and cleansing greatly enables the body to better absorb all the macro and micro nutrients we consume. Check the amount of fiber you are consuming and subtract that number from your carbohydrate grams to know your net carbohydrates. We pretty much can all agree that humans are pretty adaptable to a variety in foods. Healthy Eskimo's don't eat the same way as healthy Samoans or Italians. To ask if you can eat too many veggies would be tantamount to telling a Vegan they will never be healthy unless they eat meat. Since you are increasing you veggie portions ensure to drink enough water to avoid compaction and substitute the fat free dressing with something with fat in it. You don't get fat from eating fat. Fat makes you fat if you eat too much of it, just like the other macro nutrients do.