Any Archers Out There?

Options
Men, women, recurves, longbows, compounds, target only, hunting.... it doesn't matter to me, I just want to talk to any fellow archers out there who love the sport as much as I do! :D About me: I am 38 and have loved archery my whole life but for some reason or other never shot a bow until my 30's. My bow of choice is a traditional recurve (I love the modern ones too!). I have a pink Genesis compound as well but find that I shoot more accurately with a recurve. Since I'm on the weak side, my bow is only a 30# draw which is the most I can handle at the moment. My recurve is an OMP and the beautiful riser is made of wood. Someday I would love to own a PSE X-Appeal! We have 3 acres of land on which I do my target shooting, I am not a hunter but have many friends who are. I am also self taught as there are no archery groups or coaches anywhere near me. :( So I literally learn by watching DVD's and reading all the archery books I can get my hands on! On the pro-competition circuit, my favorite pro archers are Jenifer Nichols and Brady Ellison, both are very young and VERY talented and fun to watch in action! Well that's all I can think of to write about at the mo', so anyways, if you're an archer or just love to watch, give me a holler or even add me as a friend, thanks!

Replies

• selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not an archer... but totally fascinated!!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Recently discovered my love of archery. I have asked for a bow for Christmas. Although I would probably prefer a recurve, I think if my husband buys one for me it would be a compound so that he could use it hunting. I personally am not interested in hunting either, but also have lots of friends/family who do.

Like I said, I'm VERY new to the sport, so I don't know much at all, but I do so enjoy shooting.

Nice to meet you!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love bow hunting.. I have been doing it since I am about 10 years old. I also hunt with the gun, but given the choice I prefer the bow. It takes so much more skill and practice time to be able to consistently shoot perfectly with the bow.

I have been using the same PSE Lighting Flight for over 10 years and I really want a new one but they are SO expensive!
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Recently discovered my love of archery. I have asked for a bow for Christmas. Although I would probably prefer a recurve, I think if my husband buys one for me it would be a compound so that he could use it hunting. I personally am not interested in hunting either, but also have lots of friends/family who do.

Like I said, I'm VERY new to the sport, so I don't know much at all, but I do so enjoy shooting.

Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too, and I hope you love your new bow!
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I love bow hunting.. I have been doing it since I am about 10 years old. I also hunt with the gun, but given the choice I prefer the bow. It takes so much more skill and practice time to be able to consistently shoot perfectly with the bow.

I have been using the same PSE Lighting Flight for over 10 years and I really want a new one but they are SO expensive!

Yeah I discovered I am much more accurate shooting a recurve than a compound for some reason. I love PSE bows, to me they're the best! And yes, they are sooo expensive but worth every penny! :)
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    bump :) Still looking for more archery fans to talk to!
  • tdwhalley
    tdwhalley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing a thread back from the dead here but I'm an archer too.

I've been a target archer since I was 14 and I do dabble a little bit in field archery - never bow-hunted as it's illegal in the UK.

It's a much more physically demanding sport than many people realise. Especially with a reasonably high draw weight recurve bow.
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I tried archery once years ago and LOVED it, but never had chance to do it again unfortunately. I surprised myself really with how good I was :P
    I didn't miss the target once!! I may have had a lot of help though... :P
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I got a used PSE compound youth bow a couple of years ago and loved target practice. Then I got in a four wheeler accident and snapped my wrist.........That was a year ago this last September and my wrist is just now fully healed where I can do push ups and weights. I have 4 boys ages 13-6 and they all have Recurve bows and target practice every time its nice out. I can't wait to get out there and practice with them now that Spring is here. I do hunt Deer and Elk w/ rifle and would love to get good enough to Bow Hunt.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Count me in! I've been shooting traditional archery since 2007. I have one longbow and one short "horse bow" recurve made by a bowyer friend who goes by CrookedStic. I have another, a blond maple takedown recurve made by Herwaybow out of Kentucky.

I don't hunt myself, but a good number of the folks I hang out with at shoots do. Personally, I love walking a beautiful 3-D course through the woods and shooting foam.

One of my favorite spring and summer pastimes is traveling to various traditional 3-D shoots in the region and camping over the weekend, If there are no archery clubs or groups in your area, check out the forum community TradGang.com. They have an events section that lists most all of the upcming 3-D shoots, both fun shoots and competition. The Howard Hill Classic is held in your state, pinkarrow, and it's a nice one.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Nice to meet you!

My husband shoots both a compound and a recurve and unless you and your husband have the same draw length I doubt you would be able to shoot the same bow. :wink:
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    For several years I was certified archery instructor. (however, my certification did expire about 1 year ago). I came into this by accident. The Girl Scouts in my town needed an archery & canoe certified person for an upcoming camping trip. Since I didn't want to be responsible for girls in water.... I choose archery & someone did canoe. My first certification class was paid for by my Girl Scout community. My second class I paid for.

After the Girl Scouts in my town did the camping trip, the Girl Scout council began to give out my name/number out to other towns. So I ended up volunteering my time to Girl Scout troops camping at one of the Girl Scout campgrounds. The Girl Scouts I had instructed where from 1st grade to 8th grade. Sometimes they had shoot before - most of them had not.

When I was volunteering, I would be at the campsites approximately 3-4x a year, doing basic archery instruction. I will state the equipment was really bad at the campsites.

I did take the certification class to run the archery & BB range for a Cub Scout camp - however - I am not doing that since my son has crossed over to Boy Scouts.
  • cgladstone
    cgladstone Posts: 1
    Options
    Just did a search for archery on MFP and found this old topic.

I've been shooting competitively for 4 years. (3 years with a Hoyt Pro Elite target compound and the last year with a Win&Win Pro Accent recurve - Olympic style).

I'm usually at the range 2-3 times per week and as Indoor Nationals approach 3-4 times per week.