Natural Peanut Butter vs. Regular?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Do any peanut butter you like, just track it properly.

Regarding using it for a big source of your protein, I would advise not to look to for that purpose.

nuts have an incomplete amino profile for protein.
    There are better sources for protein out there than nuts.
  • jkner4
    jkner4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat what tastes good to you. However, if you have it in you, keep trying. I was a JIF addict for years, then made myself eat natural for awhile. I recently had some JIF and it is way too sweet for me now. Your taste buds will change and come to like the natural better, if you give it time.
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try Earth Balance peanutbutter, it tastes just like regular commercial peanutbutter and also has some flax oil added for extra health benefits. You don't have to mix it, either...that's my biggest pet peave about organic/natural peanutbutters...kind of a pain.

I definitely am not a fan of stirring the peanut butter - the consistency makes me cringe! I will try the Earth Balance, too! Apparently, I just need to go to a different store! My Food Lion doesn't carry any of these peanut butters! :P
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Try Earth Balance peanutbutter, it tastes just like regular commercial peanutbutter and also has some flax oil added for extra health benefits. You don't have to mix it, either...that's my biggest pet peave about organic/natural peanutbutters...kind of a pain.

I definitely am not a fan of stirring the peanut butter - the consistency makes me cringe! I will try the Earth Balance, too! Apparently, I just need to go to a different store! My Food Lion doesn't carry any of these peanut butters! :P

When I go grind my own I never end up stirring it, I just put it in the fridge and it holds the consistency.
  • Hansonian
    Options

Regarding using it for a big source of your protein, I would advise not to look to for that purpose.

Would you suggest meat instead of peanut butter? I've also heard that flaxseed is good for protein? I am not very knowledgeable as far as protein goes. :P
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just buy regular if you prefer it. Life is too short to force yourself to eat a subpar (to your taste buds) food in favor of what you enjoy more.
    This. I've grown to like the taste of natural peanut butter better, but I hate having to store it in the fridge and deal with the separation. So, I went back to regular. Mmmm, chemicals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Would you suggest meat instead of peanut butter? I've also heard that flaxseed is good for protein? I am not very knowledgeable as far as protein goes. :P
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

ETA: lean meats such as chicken are easily some of the best sources of protein, and chicken can be pretty cheap. If you are avoiding meat for whatever reason (don't like the flavor, moral reasons, whatever), there are a lot of ways to pack protein in your diet.
  • Hansonian
    Options
    When I go grind my own I never end up stirring it, I just put it in the fridge and it holds the consistency.

Thanks! I'll try that when I grind mine this weekend!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Meat would be the best source, unless you're vegetarian.
  • Hansonian
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Perfect! This is just what I need! I'm going to print it out! :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Just buy regular if you prefer it. Life is too short to force yourself to eat a subpar (to your taste buds) food in favor of what you enjoy more.
    This!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This. I've grown to like the taste of natural peanut butter better, but I hate having to store it in the fridge and deal with the separation. So, I went back to regular. Mmmm, chemicals.
    I keep trying natural and I just can't hack it! :sick:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try organic raw almond butter, it taste really good.

I stopped using peanut butter, especially the kind that have in hydrogenated oil. If it does not say peanuts, peanut oil and salt - it says on the supermarket shelf.
  • MityMax96
    Options

meat
    chicken
    fish
    milk
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    whey protein powders
    eggs

Those are my big sources of protein
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My husband just came home with Peter Pan 100% Natural Peanut Butter (Crunchy) and it says "No Need to Stir" on the label. Then why the heck when I opened it did have a layer of oil that spilled on my shirt? Yuck!

There is also this Peter Pan Whipped PB that is pretty dang good IMO. I used to always buy the All Natural Jif but since we go through so much of it now, I started looking more at prices and end up getting Peter Pan most of the time.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    My husband just came home with Peter Pan All Natural Peanut Butter (Crunchy) and it says "No Need to Stir" on the label. Then why the heck when I opened it did have a layer of oil that spilled on my shirt? Yuck!

This is my fav and the one I get...

Sometimes there is no stir...sometimes there is...
    I just drain any oil, and go from there. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do think it matters, but that's just me. I buy organic natural PB, as one of the only "organic" and more expensive items I buy and won't budge on.

At first taste I was like "what the heck is this! it tastes like peanuts!" (so many years of eating the junk kind) but I grew to love it and I eat it every day.

Personally, I don't want the hydrogenated oils and preservatives in my food. It's completely up to you what you want to buy, though! If PB is your vice, indulge in that!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This

and this
    I eat Skippy Natural. It does have added sugar and salt, but it's still pretty low. I eat it mostly because it is the best-tasting PB I have ever tried (and yes, it is BETTER than the Jiff!).
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a die hard smuckers natural fan. There's only a little bit of salt added, and it actually tastes just like peanuts. If that's not your thing and you're not trying to cut out added sugar, eat what tastes best to you. But peanut butter is not a great source of protein by any means. It's a good source of fat and will help you stay full for a while, but only 7g of protein for 200 calories worth of food makes it pretty low in protein.