Muscle Ache and recovery?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, make sure you get enough protein, but the 30 minute window has been debunked. Just as long as you get some within the next few hours after a workout.

As others have said, stretching is great. So is a day off with something gentle to get the blood flowing and the lactic acid cleared out, such as a easy bike ride.

The Epsom salts bath is a great idea. You essentially absorb the magnesium which helps your muscles recover.

If all else fails, a couple of Tylenol or an Advil work great.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Can someone point me to reputable support of the milk/chocolate milk theory? I've been drinking 8 oz of 1% with 2 T of hershey syrup after my strength sessions basically because I read on here that it was good for muscle building. And I don't need much encouragement where chocolate milk is concerned. But I'd love to know that I'm not blindly following faux science.

With all due respect , Sounds like complete BS if you ask me

Hit your macro nutrient and calorie targets . I don't see how milk and hersheys syrup is "good for muscle building". Lifting weights and eating a sufficient amount of calories all over a significant period of time results in muscle building .

Chocolate milk is a good drink for after strength training if you don't have any whey protein. It gives you protein and some good sugary carbs.

It's a good alternative to whey protein and dextrose.

As to OP's question: stretch well after your workout.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Can someone point me to reputable support of the milk/chocolate milk theory? I've been drinking 8 oz of 1% with 2 T of hershey syrup after my strength sessions basically because I read on here that it was good for muscle building. And I don't need much encouragement where chocolate milk is concerned. But I'd love to know that I'm not blindly following faux science.

Hit your macro nutrient and calorie targets . I don't see how milk and hersheys syrup is "good for muscle building". Lifting weights and eating a sufficient amount of calories all over a significant period of time results in muscle building .

Eh .. it's low fat, a little protein and a good dose of sugar, so it's a food that's useful after a workout.

ETA: Poster above beat me to it.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Protein and carbs after the workout will help. Stretching can help as well. Drinking water.

But, as a simple start, mix up your order a bit. If you bike first, you'll generally get a better warm up.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Eh .. it's low fat, a little protein and a good dose of sugar, so it's a food that's useful after a workout.

ETA: Poster above beat me to it.

It's good for muscle recovery after significant endurance activity that depletes glycogen stores. It has been studied and replicated. But, those studies are looking at people like endurance runenrs, who need a particular mix of carbs and proteins. The ratio is different for lifting, so the choc milk is not ideal.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The foam rolling is good and also as you become more conditioned you won't get quite so sore. You just kind of have to work through it at first.
  • hpheath
    hpheath Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use WAV Beyond recovery drink after all my workouts. My Mom is older and just started working out again. I had her use the WAV Beyond and she is amazed at how much less sore she is.

I swear it really does work.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Epson Salt Baths or Peppermint Oil baths seem to help alot for me on heavier weight days. Arnica Cream from the health food store can help some too. Eating Cottage Cheese is good cuz it is a long acting protein. Or having a protein shake after workouts can help on heavier days. And taking time to stretch both before and after workouts can mean a big deal in how you feel afterwards.
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a good protein/carb mixture for recovery. Or use a healthy protein mix. Foam rolling and stretching should be a staple in every program. Epsom salt baths are also a great suggestion. Ample protein supplies BCAAs which aid in muscle recovery.
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs after the workout will help. Stretching can help as well. Drinking water.

But, as a simple start, mix up your order a bit. If you bike first, you'll generally get a better warm up.

I really loathe the Cross trainer, and tbh find it the hardest (can bike and walk/jog for a good while) so, my theory was, do the hardest first, as its all downhill from there, whereas if I do the cross trainer last, I physically cant put 100% into it....that's the only reason I do it in this order :)

Im going to be trying practically everything suggested, I don't want to do 60 mins exercise, then be out of action for a few days, I want to do workouts Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, with rests over the w/e,
  • jkm92
    jkm92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, stretching for about 8 seconds on all leg muscles (you can do your arms whilst doing your slow walk to start) before your workout, and then around 20 seconds (more if your tighter in certain areas) after you workout really helps. I found stretching beforehand definitely increased the quality of my workouts and i could walk/jog/run a lot longer and faster. ALSO if you stretch just after you finish ...eventually the tightness and pain is relieved during your stretch!

http://www.wikihow.com/Stretch here's some simple stretches...all can be done standing though (just Youtube it if your unsure)

Foam rolling is really good too, i use a hockey ball or tumble dryer ball to roll out my back ALL the time (injury prone ;( )

but muscle ache isn't always bad, it's just you discovering the muscles that havn't really been used so much in a while, eventually (after a couple of weeks of regular exercise) it just becomes background noise and you forget about it!

Good luck!! and happy stretching! :)
  • Greytfish
    Options

I really loathe the Cross trainer, and tbh find it the hardest (can bike and walk/jog for a good while) so, my theory was, do the hardest first, as its all downhill from there, whereas if I do the cross trainer last, I physically cant put 100% into it....that's the only reason I do it in this order :)

Im going to be trying practically everything suggested, I don't want to do 60 mins exercise, then be out of action for a few days, I want to do workouts Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, with rests over the w/e,

If you still want to tackle the cross trainer earlier in the workout because you're fresher or because it's mentally better for you, you can try splitting the bike time and doing a 5-10 minute biking warm up and then going to the CT.

You can minimize soreness, but if this workout is new to you, you probably can't eliminate it entirely - especially if you were fairly sedentary before.

A supplement that might be helpful is powdered glutamine. You can get it at a GNC or Vitamin shop in an unflavored powder you can take in water or any beverage. It's also helpful for soothing GI upset.