I took that step...

Options
agronx
agronx Posts: 42 Member
Last night at the grocery store I bought frozen broccoli. Now...how do I cook it so it will taste good????

Replies

• ooBombshellBeautyoo
    Options
    Cook it according to directions and add some butter and little bit of parmesan cheese.
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I actually eat vegtables plain most of the time.

When I just need a little push to make it more appetising I will use a dash of soy sauce, or a light vinagrette, or sea salt, or garlic salt. Again just a dash.
  • camiscott
    camiscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use mostly lemon pepper on my vegetables. Gives them a great flavor.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Steam it and top it with a little lemon and salt and pepper.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Next time buy fresh broccoli (and other veggies) tastes so much better.

But you can microwave it; add a little butter and sea salt and enjoy.
    If needed...add a tablespoon (or less) of cheese and enjoy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like it steamed and plain.

Whatever you do, do not overcook it though. It needs to be super brilliant bright green.

If it is soft and kinda forest green or (heaven forbid) brownish...ewwww
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Stir fry that sucker. I don't like steamed broccoli much so I always stir fry it. Add some chicken or tofu, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, and any other veggies of your choice. Or you can just saute it with garlic and ginger (as you can tell, I really like ginger).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    don't boil it - steam it or roast it.

shake on your favorite seasonings (I'm partial to lemon pepper or vinegar and salt - you might prefer something completely different)

eta - that stir fry suggestion sounds delish - try that!!
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli, frozen, fresh you name it. I can eat it by the dinner plate full. With frozen, I actually like to defrost it a bit, and then put in the microwave. That way it tastes steamed. Also, out of all the brands, my favourite has to be the one from Costco. It does taste close to fresh! Normally I eat it plain, sometimes I put a dash of sea salt on it.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    broc is not my favorite and if i'm going to eat it other then being a pizza or in cold pasta salad
    cheese wiz..... lol or shredded sharp cheddar :bigsmile:
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thaw it under running water, toss in a bit of olive oil then roast it in the oven. I like it mixed into casseroles like cottage pie, tuna with noodles, or pretty much anything. Steaming and adding lemon juice is another good way to go. I'm sure there are recipes out there for broccoli soup that are low cal as well. I Love broccoli (and asparagus, and culiflower, and corn, and peas, and green beans, and tomatos, and...haha). Veggies are the best!

Edit: oh yeah, and on Pizza is amazing!
  • agronx
    agronx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    consider getting fresh broccoli - and/or cauliflower; chop them up - toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a few crushed cloves of garlic; roast at about 385 or so for about 24 minutes stirring halfway through that time; when there's about 3 minutes left sprinkle FRESH parm cheese over it - put it under the broiler - it's AMAZING!!!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just mix some in with everything else you eat. It'll be good, I promise.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My go-to easy veggie is frozen broccoli. For a large casserole dish that holds about 6 cups of frozen broccoli, I put about half a cup of water, and add whatever seasoning - mixes, plain sea salt, cayenne pepper, whatever goes with dinner that night....Pile in the broccoli and cover with cellophane. Microwave for about 7 minutes, and it is crispy and fresh tasting..YUM. :)
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It actually roasts up pretty well with a little olive oil.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    stir fry it! with some chicken or salmon! and parmesan!
    I usually ground some fresh cheese on top of it (just a bit)
    you can also try to put some chuncks on a pesto sauce and eat it with a fillet or maybe even pasta!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Put it in a glass dish, cover with a glass lid or plate & microwave for 6-7 minutes. We eat it plain. Sam's Club has the BEST frozen broccoli, not stems.