Natural Peanut Butter vs. Regular?

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Options
    I've had both. Skippy Natural tastes better to me than any other PB I've ever tasted.

I haven't been "conditioned" to anything. I just like it.

My parents were vegetarians when I was born and I forced them to go back to eating meat because I wouldn't eat the food they offered. For most of my life, I would barely touch anything but meat. Now I'm a vegetarian. Where is the conditioning? We like what we like.

I enjoy peanuts on their own. I prefer a certain taste of peanut butter. And I actually no longer like the PB I grew up eating.

Don't be so condescending.

Actually, that's a pretty good example of different sorts of conditioning, but feel free to keep fantasizing that you have some innate and nebulous taste unaffected by your environment.

The conditioning is in the habit of consuming it, and in the societal conditioning. It's discrimination and generalization. And it's not condescention, it's science and human behavior.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've had both. Skippy Natural tastes better to me than any other PB I've ever tasted.

I haven't been "conditioned" to anything. I just like it.

My parents were vegetarians when I was born and I forced them to go back to eating meat because I wouldn't eat the food they offered. For most of my life, I would barely touch anything but meat. Now I'm a vegetarian. Where is the conditioning? We like what we like.

I enjoy peanuts on their own. I prefer a certain taste of peanut butter. And I actually no longer like the PB I grew up eating.

Don't be so condescending.

Actually, that's a pretty good example of different sorts of conditioning, but feel free to keep fantasizing that you have some innate and nebulous taste unaffected by your environment.

The conditioning is in the habit of consuming it, and in the societal conditioning. It's discrimination and generalization. And it's not condescention, it's science and human behavior.
    But I eat completely differently from how I grew up eating. Please tell me how I was conditioned to prefer one taste over another. And if it's social, why as a toddler would I not eat the food my parents (my only social network at the time) ate?

And why is it that people who grew up never, ever tasting certain foods or even being exposed to them come to love them after trying them only once?

I refused to even try Indian food until about three years ago and now it's my favorite food.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Oh God, I love natural pb. I buy Laura Scudder's. I didn't have a sad about eating natural pb time, I loved it immediately.

It makes the best pb cookies ever. When I'm feeling like not being a total fatass I eat it with apples or celery.
  • Greytfish
    Options

But I eat completely differently from how I grew up eating. Please tell me how I was conditioned to prefer one taste over another. And if it's social, why as a toddler would I not eat the food my parents (my only social network at the time) ate?

And why is it that people who grew up never, ever tasting certain foods or even being exposed to them come to love them after trying them only once?

I refused to even try Indian food until about three years ago and now it's my favorite food.

Because conditioning works both ways. An eating habit repeated often enough can produce both acclimation and discrimination that limits generalization - ie, you like natural or regualr PB because that's what you are used to consuming.

It can also function to encourage discrimination and generalization - as when you eat a food repetetively, and then "tire" of it and move onto another food.

There are also other mental forces at play with strict adherance or prohibition - vegetarianism, meat and potatoes, alcoholism, teetotalers. Depending on the study, some show more "rebellion" reactions (vegetarian children of heavy meat eaters) and some show more of the opposite effect with rebellion and then strict adhereance. It's soemwhat more complext with alcohol, solely because of addictive properties and physical dependence. (I used the "A" word. Please no one say they're addicted to sugar....)

And, the actual ability to discern tastes varies slightly individual to individual, is subject to hormone levels which level off in adulthood, and is altered by the variety of experience.

That said, it's peanut butter. No one cares what variety you eat, if any at all. You aren't fated to it, you make choices.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    An OP with a simple question devolves into a peanut butter shaming fest. Add a subplot (foodal conditioning in this one) and we have another typical MFP thread.

innanep.jpg
  • Greytfish
    Options
    :laugh:

Can it possibly surprise you that a group of people more broadly inclined to be emotional about food become emotional about food?
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use PB2. I think it gives a great taste for the amount of cals...but i only use it in baking and icecream.

I've never even heard of it! Can you find it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes?
  • Hansonian
    Options
    MaraNatha natural peanut butters are my favorite:

http://www.maranathafoods.com/category/peanut-butters

I think they taste way better Jif or Skippy, and they're about a million times better than Smuckers Natural.

Thanks so much for this site! I think I might try Tahini butters at some point!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hansonian, you can get PB2 at GNC or Walmart. At least both places have it around here.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i find it ironic that "regular" peanut butter often has palm oil, sweeteners and preservatives. and "fitness pals" are too lazy to stir the natural.

It isn't necessarily due to laziness, maybe just personal preference. I think oily peanut butter and/or keeping it in the fridge (with the obvious result: cold peanut butter) sucks. Some added sugar, palm oil and salt won't kill me.

Palm oil...mmmm...oil of the gods...
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    i find it ironic that "regular" peanut butter often has palm oil, sweeteners and preservatives. and "fitness pals" are too lazy to stir the natural.

It isn't necessarily due to laziness, maybe just personal preference. I think oily peanut butter and/or keeping it in the fridge (with the obvious result: cold peanut butter) sucks. Some added sugar, palm oil and salt won't kill me.

too bad it requires the systematic killing of Orangutans to acquire it...
  • Hansonian
    Options
    I wasn't super crazy about Almond Butter. I really wanted to like it because I love almonds, but the one I tried was incredibly bitter to me. I'll have to try to make it out of roasted almonds and honey!

Also, I am by no means a vegetarian or vegan. Maybe one day, when I can afford the good, organic vegetarian products, but it'll take a while to break my conditioning to love of meat! lol.

And believe it or not, I really don't like peanut butter and chocolate together! It's too rich for me, which I know doesn't make sense because I love triple fudge cake and crap like that. :P But give me the option of Reese's or no dessert, I pick no dessert every time!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I use PB2. I think it gives a great taste for the amount of cals...but i only use it in baking and icecream.

PB2 can be rather expensive. It's essentially just rebranded peanut flour, which I'm sure you can find around town. You can also order it online (no clue if that's cheaper or not than finding at a local store).
  • Hansonian
    Options
    Hansonian, you can get PB2 at GNC or Walmart. At least both places have it around here.

Thanks! Everyone here is incredibly knowledgeable! If any of you want to add me, I'd love to be your MFP friend and have access to your knowledge! :P
  • dreinecke94
    dreinecke94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently bought PB2 and I actually prefer it over regular. I love it with apple slices and it is a lot less calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's just powdered PB (they remove all the fat). You have to mix it with oil or water to use it, unless you're mising it into something like a smoothie. Honestly, I don't find it al that tasty. It isn't bad, but I'd rather eat the real thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

So I LOVE peanut butter and I've been eating a lot of it for protein. I bought some natural peanut butter and have been eating it for 2ish months (I log it as regular peanut butter, in case any of you have seen my food diary) and I'm wondering if there are really any health benefits aside from the fact that it doesn't have preservatives?

It has as many calories, it tastes half as good, and it's more expensive! I know that preservatives aren't good in any food, and I'm all for jumping on the all-natural train, but I haven't noticed a change in how soon I get hungry and my weight didn't drop significantly after switching. Can I just buy regular? Do you think it really matters?
    I buy natural peanut butter. It still say Skippy on the jar. And it's affordable.

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2013/10/05/skippy-peanut-butter-as-low-as-0-49-at-safeway/

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I've eaten natural Pb for so long, that when I tried the kind with additives again it tasted like funky peanut-flavoured frosting.
    I agree, unless you want to be careful about the additives, eat what works for you. But log it right.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I grow my own organic, non-GMO, hydroponic peanuts. That's what all the lights are for. I swear.

Do you think that adding your hydroponic product to brownies would help the healthiness of the brownies?

Always! :laugh: :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

too bad it requires the systematic killing of Orangutans to acquire it...

IKR? :explode: