what to eat before workout?

Options
Everyone knows its good to have chocolate milk or some protein after a weight lifting or workout but what about before?

Not good to eat right before, but any tips or ideas on what is good?

thanks

Replies

• Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows its good to have chocolate milk or some protein after a weight lifting or workout but what about before?

thanks

I eat a piece of fruit like a banana or lately sliced peaches. You want something light so you don't crap. Just something to give you a boost of energy.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

thanks

I eat 3 eggs, a banana, and half a protein shake for breakfast. Which is also right before I work out. I don't find it hurts my workout at all. I don't think it makes to much of a difference also.

If you are lifting.. You may want to sip on some black coffee, before and during your workout. I've read it helps a lot but I've never actually tried it.

Normally it is best to eat some carbs 1-2 hours before working out. This way they can get into your system and give you some energy.

But I think a rule of thumb for most people who aren't training to be athletes, is that pre-workout food is not as important as post-workout food. IMO at least.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    It really depends upon the individual and the type of workout. Something like HIIT requires you to have eaten before-hand otherwise you could end up dizzy/feeling sick. Strangely I had that same feeling after having eaten before-hand. The more intense your workout the more important it is to get food into you before hand, something high carb with a little bit of protein I would imagine.

Uptopar is right though. For people that aren't pushing themselves really hard, training to be athletes or training like athletes I think it's far less important.

By the way the chocolate milk you mentioned is supposed to be reserved for 60-90+ minute workouts.

I agree with Loseittoo about the banana(high carb) just something to get a bit of fuel. Again though it depends upon intensity and duration of your workout. I'd say a good rule of thumb would be the more intense or the longer your workout will be the more likely you should be to fuel your body with something high carb with a bit of protein before-hand. I'd go with about an hour before.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips!!