Eggplant?

Options
I accidently bought eggplant for making eggplant lasagna and a frozen pre made lasagna. What else do y'all do with eggplant? Is it good roasted plain?

Replies

• cinnamonkitty
    Options
    You can make baba ganoush, eggplant parmesan, and all sorts of different things. Google some recipes!
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's delicious roasted! My favorite things are Eggplant Parmesan, Grilled or Roasted eggplant with olive oil & salt/pepper , Eggplant "sandwiches" (breaded eggplant slices with mint and goat cheese in btwn) and stuffed eggplant. Enjoy!
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like using it to make an Italian-style chili. Starts with ground turkey, or the Italian seasoned Jennie-O kind. Then I add diced eggplant, zucchini, peppers, garlic, can of diced tomatoes, can of drained white beans and seasonings. I usually top my serving with low fat mozzerella or stir in some ricotta to make it creamier. Makes a lot, and freezes beautifully.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You can make baba ganoush, eggplant parmesan, and all sorts of different things. Google some recipes!

I am trying to figure out whether I need to buy tahini or there is something more simple to serve it as a vegetable, rather then the main course it was originally meant to be. Sorry I wasn't clear.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cut it into spears, bread it and bake it. dip in marinara sauce. yum.
  • blissfullychaotic
    Options
    I cut it up and roast it with fresh garlic, onions, balsamic, olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. Set the oven at 400 and it usually takes about 30 minutes. But Parmesan is of course the yummiest!
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I accidently bought eggplant for making eggplant lasagna and a frozen pre made lasagna. What else do y'all do with eggplant? Is it good roasted plain?

omgomgomg - im so gald you are asking!
    my recent discovery of this website: www.skinnytaste.com has yielded a good number of delicious meals. egpplant sandwish being one of them!!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/eggplant-panini-with-pesto.html

honestly - so good. my only sugegstions would be to slive off the top of the bread you use, bc the one i used did not 'press' well in the panini press. was too crunchy on the top. so trim it and its perfect!

please try this. it was so good.
  • MerrileeB1985
    MerrileeB1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slice it real thin and brush it with olive oil, then throw it on the grill. Then drizzle it with a balsamic vinegar or reduction. yum!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Curry!

Or cooking it on a griddle and then adding rice vingear, chillies, soy sauce and a little sesame oil.

I love aubergines. Though I make the same comments about almost any food posted here.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Slice it real thin and brush it with olive oil, then throw it on the grill. Then drizzle it with a balsamic vinegar or reduction. yum!!

Yes! I do this all summer long. So good.

[Jumping in to see what other recipes come up.]
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend eggplant "Steaks" with panko breadcrumbs topped with arugula with a lemon garlic dressing. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes. It's really delicious.

The recipe I use for inspiration is a vegan recipe I am vegetarian and will eat dairy products. I used regular milk, butter and sour cream in place of the non-dairy items. Last time I made this I wanted to save on calories so I baked the eggplant instead of frying them. It came out really good and I was quite pleased with the results.

http://veegmama.blogspot.com/2013/01/panko-crusted-eggplant-with-arugula-and.html

Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i LOVE eggplant we probably eat it couple times a month.
    my favorite ways are the traditional eggplant parm or lasagne or rollatini.

quick ways, is it grill it (or sauté in a skillet, i use misto olive oil spray) and then put it on a panini so its the "meat" of a panini.
    i also make pizzas with it as like a snack. in a toaster or conventional oven. in 425 degrees slice eggplant in disks spray with misto olive oil, S&P. roast for about 5 minutes. flip them over top with like 1 tbsp of tomato sauce and 1 tbsp of REAL cheese like a mozzarella and parmesan combo. pop back in oven until melted and bubbly. Delish! (i do this with zucchini as well so good!)
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cut into 1/4" thick spears or disks, dip in egg and then coat with breadcrumbs & panko, bake at 375 until golden, serve with marinara or tossed with pasta or spaghetti squash. You can do this with zucchini and yellow squash, too!

Slice a big eggplant in half, use a melon baller to hollow it out. Cook the insides with mushrooms and onions and sausage/ meat substitute until the eggplant is reduced. Add marinara sauce and stuff it back into the hollow eggplant 'shells', top with cheese, bake at 375 or 400 until the cheese starts to brown.

Chop an eggplant finely (skin on) and cook in a large saucepan with about 1/4 cup of water for around 10 minutes, until the eggplant reduces. Put the eggplant on paper towels to cool, then chop finely (food processor works too). Stir in 1/3 cup shredded cheese, 1 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, and italian seasoning, and 1 egg (egg substitute works too). Slowly add bread crumbs until the mixture can be formed into balls. Depending on the size of your eggplant, this could be 1/2 to 1 cup breadcrumbs. Form into balls and bake for around 45 minutes at 400 degrees.

These are my favorites, but I'm sure there are more out there!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is evil and should be banned from existence!

(I'm scarred from an unfortunate incident as a child - eggplant parm disguised as the tastiest and holiest of all foods: veal parm.)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just don't overcook aubergines as they then end up like rubber
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant want to see the rest of the recipes!
  • LJDaye
    LJDaye Posts: 69
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound so delicious!! I will be making!! Thanks!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is my FAVORITE!

I like it sauteed in olive oil (a bit high fat since it sucks it up like a sponge and you have to add more), then tossed with either fresh grape tomatoes (or really good quality canned diced tomatoes drained), feta (or parmesan), and angel hair (or spaghetti squash).

NOM NOM NOM. In fact, it's what's for dinner!

Or
    With Rigatoni, a bit of ricotta, tomato sauce, and topped with mozzarella. Kind of a deconstructed eggplant lasagna.

OR
    slice it longways so you have long strips and bake in the oven until dried out a bit. Then fill with a mix of ricotta and mozzarella and roll up. Smother in tomato sauce, top with mozzarella and bake covered for 45 minutes/uncover and bake until brown on top.

OR
    I slice it and bake it and add it to cheese quesadillas.

OR
    Cube it, toss it with olive oil and seasoning, oven bake it and add it to risotto at the end of the cooking process.

Seriously, I could go on forever. It is the most yummy vegetable EVER. :love: :flowerforyou:
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I bought an eggplant and don't know what to do with it. Thanks for the ideas here!