Making a healthier sandwich

Options
I'm in college so I don't have many options considering I'm limited on how frequently I can go to the grocery store. I often have
paninis for lunch at the sandwich station. I have wheat bread, turkey, one slice of american cheese, and lettuce, and then it's grilled. I feel like even though it sounds healthy, it could be a lot better. What suggestions do you have for the bread, meat, and cheese?

Replies

• punkypump
    punkypump Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a healthy meat choice with plenty of Omega3's
    Try to make tuna salad with greek yogurt (plain) instead of mayo, more nutirional and lower calories.
    :)
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Turkey, cheese, lettuce on wheat sounds pretty healthy to me. It's one of my staples. If you're grilling it, just be careful about adding butter or oil. I guess you could also consider cutting out the cheese but I like it as a source of calcium and always put some on my sandwiches.

Tuna salad is also a good suggestion (I just personally don't care for tuna unless it's raw sushi).

You could also try chicken which is a nice lean source of protein.

What are your other options at school? Is it all deli meat?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "better"?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    It depends on context and what you are getting/lacking at your other meals throughout the day.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Another tuna/egg salad option!

I mash either hard boiled eggs or canned tuna with 1/2 avocado, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, salt and pepper, and onions or chives.

I like to toast a piece of quinoa or Ezekiel bread and just pile everything on that one slice (usually with a few kale leaves underneath). I suppose you could also put a small amount of cheese on top too and place it under the broiler for a minute for a tuna melt as well!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of the American "cheese" and replacing it with real cheese would definitely make the sandwich better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's nothing unhealthy about what you're doing. I like to add spinach and tomatoes to my paninis.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer soups and salads. Or a half sandwich and soup...

But for best sandwiches I recommend avoiding the "traditional" condiments, and use healthier and more nutritious alternatives. For example: avoid mayonnaise and go for hummus instead!

Also don't forget about vegetarian entries... the same deli meats and cheeses can get boring every day. For example : eggplant parmesan panini, or roasted butternut squash panini. See links below.

I am only thinking about this because of a recent trip I made to the southern states of US. Normally (at least locally in my area) you must request mayonnaise... but during my trip majo was put on everything regardless. Normally i had to send food back at least once (during my trip) because they always got the order wrong (they do love the majo), but once I had to send a sandwich back 3 times, and finally ended up just walking out, because they kept on putting mayo on it.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of the American "cheese" and replacing it with real cheese would definitely make the sandwich better.

+1
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you could do more veggies on it.
    or if they have a veggie panini all together?
    other than that it sounds ok to me?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "better"?
    bingo.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Add some onions, take off the cheese, add some bacon, add some mayo and it can't really can't get much better than that :)

ETA: before anyone says "why take off the cheese?", it's only because I don't prefer cheese on my sandwiches. No other reason. If you like it, leave it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What's the lettuce? If it's iceberg, you could improve that since it's pretty much a waste of everyone's time. The process it takes to grow. The person putting it on the sandwich. You eating it. It's like the mosquito of the food world.

At LEAST go for romaine, if not spinach or arugula.
  • tuneout
    Options
    Our sub shop is the only healthy option on my campus as well, I usually go for a whole wheat bun, grilled chicken, spinach and avocado! I don't trust the cheese from there since I have no idea where it came from so I often leave it off.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I would make sure you use the thinnest bread available. Maybe look at the caloric content of the different options. I eat my deli meat sandwiches with tomatoes, cucumber, arugula, red onions. I would get rid of the lettuce and add more nutritional produce. Other than that- I'm not a huge fan of American cheese bc it sound overly processed to me and tend to go with swiss.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you use the thinnest bread available. Maybe look at the caloric content of the different options. I eat my deli meat sandwiches with tomatoes, cucumber, arugula, red onions. I would get rid of the lettuce and add more nutritional produce. Other than that- I'm not a huge fan of American cheese bc it sound overly processed to me and tend to go with swiss.

Why thin bread?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Why thin bread?
    because FAT bread makes you FAT! It's full of bad jujucarbs. It also causes you to not know how to do percentages!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm in college so I don't have many options considering I'm limited on how frequently I can go to the grocery store. I often have
    paninis for lunch at the sandwich station. I have wheat bread, turkey, one slice of american cheese, and lettuce, and then it's grilled. I feel like even though it sounds healthy, it could be a lot better. What suggestions do you have for the bread, meat, and cheese?

Choose white bread to avoid the evil phytates in the whole wheat bread.
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sorry I went MIA for a bit.

Better as in healthier.

Tuna isn't an option because I don't eat any seafood.
    I don't eat tomatoes or onions
    I have no choice but to have iceberg lettuce because that's all they have.
    Avocadoes are not an option.
    They have pesto sauce but I'm not sure of the nutritional facts
    i don't put any condiments on my sandwiches. I hate nearly all condiments

The only food options I have are:

bread- rye, wheat, whole grain, tortilla wrap, kaiser, sub roll, white bread
    meat: turkey, ham, roast beef, and chicken
    cheese: cheddar, american, swiss, occasionally provolone or pepperjack
    extras: shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions

They make the sandwiches for us. They do not put anything on the outside of the bread, just put it on the panini press.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think people are confused. Do you want healthier? Cause healthy is relative.
    Or are you going for lower calories?