Lifting and Cutting back on Cardio

Options
I've started to lift weights! Do I need to stop my cardio; it freaks me out because I've been doing heavy cardio for two years. It's time to start building up more muscle and tone up. There are so many articles that say no carido, yes carido, some say ok but after you lift.

Last week I began focusing on one set of muscle group each day. I do 5 min treadmill warm up, 1 set of 8 different lifting exercises, then 10 min cardio, 2nd set of lifting, 10 min cardio, 3rd set of lifting, and then 5 min treadmill cool down. It's a total of an hour of working out. Saturday's and Sunday's off for rest.

I'm 5' 5 and weigh 168. I need to lose those final 10 pounds of fat on my belly and hips.

So do I do what my body can handle or do I just drop the cardio?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a choice between one or the other - cardio has a limit to how effective it is, but there's no reason to completely give it up just cos you're lifting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Just do what you are comfortable with. Some lifters do little or no cardio, others will do a lot. It's all personal preference.

If doing cardio on lifting days most people would lift first, cardio after. This is because the cardio will use up the energy in your muscles, leaving you with less energy to lift.

The only general advice would be to not do HIIT on your rest days as it's demanding on the muscles and therefore doesn't allow them recovery time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a choice between one or the other - cardio has a limit to how effective it is, but there's no reason to completely give it up just cos you're lifting.

Agreed.

I think cardio is a vital key to health in general, not just for "weight loss".
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Personally, you do what your body (and schedule) can handle. I don't believe you should cut out cardio completely.

SIDE NOTE: Consider 'adjusting' your goal to what your desired BF% target is versus your target weight of 158 lbs. As you've heard from numerous folks before in the MFP community, muscle weights more than fat so if you're doing resistance training, expect to gain lean muscle weight.

This is just my opinion and is subject to disagreement, ridicule, and derision (which is ok by me - I'm far from perfect).
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Personally, you do what your body (and schedule) can handle. I don't believe you should cut out cardio completely.

SIDE NOTE: Consider 'adjusting' your goal to what your desired BF% target is versus your target weight of 158 lbs. As you've heard from numerous folks before in the MFP community, muscle weights more than fat so if you're doing resistance training, expect to gain lean muscle weight.

This is just my opinion and is subject to disagreement, ridicule, and derision (which is ok by me - I'm far from perfect).

I have an addiction to my scales. I agree with you completely!! I know I need to "BREAK UP" with my scales and focus on measurements and how my clothes fit. That in it's self is so daunting and scary for me!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer ( I have about 5 lbs to lose, but mostly want that muscle tone). She said stop doing so much cardio! It will burn my muscle , not the fat. She has me lifting 3-4 days a week and only 2 days cardio (15-30 min) of HIIT . That is it! She said building up that muscle will help you burn more calories over time (more than just what you burn in one cardio session). So, it's hard for me to give up the 30-45 on the elliptical, but I am trusting her... I'm only a few weeks in, but already feeling tighter.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer ( I have about 5 lbs to lose, but mostly want that muscle tone). She said stop doing so much cardio! It will burn my muscle , not the fat. She has me lifting 3-4 days a week and only 2 days cardio (15-30 min) of HIIT . That is it! She said building up that muscle will help you burn more calories over time (more than just what you burn in one cardio session). So, it's hard for me to give up the 30-45 on the elliptical, but I am trusting her... I'm only a few weeks in, but already feeling tighter.

QFT

Also, no muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It weighs the same. A pound is a pound. However, muscle takes up less space than fat.

I've also never seen a program where you do cardio in between sets of lifting. If you're new to lifting, I'd recommend a compound lifting routine 3-4 times a week with a 20-30 minute sesh of cardio on the days in between.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    snip

QFT

Also, no muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It weighs the same. A pound is a pound. However, muscle takes up less space than fat.

I've also never seen a program where you do cardio in between sets of lifting. If you're new to lifting, I'd recommend a compound lifting routine 3-4 times a week with a 20-30 minute sesh of cardio on the days in between.

QFT

Borrow/buy/rent/etc the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and read it. Twice.
    Then go online to www.stronglifts.com and follow that program.
    5 compound movements. 3 a workout. 3 workouts a week.
    Join the MFP group here titled "Stronglifts 5x5 for Women" and learn stuff from there.
    The creator of Stronglifts sends out emails but he's kind of a jerk and doesn't think females use his program.

What I do is a 10 minute cardio warm up - I use it more to wake up since I go at 5am.
    Then lift then stretch out.

And I still do longer cardio sessions during the week because I enjoy running.
    Though I'm slacking because it's cold and icy and I don't want to fall and treadmills suck lol
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    snip

QFT

QFT

Borrow/buy/rent/etc the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and read it. Twice.
    Join the MFP group here titled "Stronglifts 5x5 for Women" and learn stuff from there.
    The creator of Stronglifts sends out emails but he's kind of a jerk and doesn't think females use his program.

What I do is a 10 minute cardio warm up - I use it more to wake up since I go at 5am.

Though I'm slacking because it's cold and icy and I don't want to fall and treadmills suck lol

Zing
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Wow - Someone on this forum actually has a trainer that knows what they're talking about - Good for you! :smile:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    1. Cardio doesn't burn muscle up, caloric deficits do.

2. Listen to your body, there is no reason to give up one for the other unless your own body makes you decide. Each person is different, for example I've noticed on the weeks where my long run is 15 plus miles is when my body makes me decide if I am going to build muscle or drop fat and muscle overall to become more efficient at running for the few days. You might very well want to drop the cardio to a min until your body adjusts to weight lifting. It is a whole new kind of stress you are putting on your body.

3. Despite what people say, steady state cardio is awesome at burning fat. Fat is a major fuel in this arena. Does it also burn protein? Yep. If the protein isn't in your gut will it get from your muscles? Yep. If you maintain a huge caloric deficit will it have a negative impact on your muscle mass? Yep. If you are that worried than don't maintain a huge caloric deficit. See #1

4. MFP Myth: Have you ever seen a really jacked marathon runner? Everyone says no thinking about Nigerians destroying people in a race. I've seen tons of jacked marathon runners. Are they pulling 6 minute miles and winning races? Nope but they are there and running them.

5. There are so many different ways to get to whatever goal you want. Don't let people pigeon hole you into their way of thinking. The forums are full of people who can't accomplish their goals a certain way so they think that you can't either. Listen to your body and find what works for you and makes you happy. Keep a journal, be meticulous about recording everything to find what is working for your own personal body.

Also, never really seen a routine where there is cardio like that between sets. Wonder what the logic is behind that?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

2. Listen to your body, there is no reason to give up one for the other unless your own body makes you decide. Each person is different, for example I've noticed on the weeks where my long run is 15 plus miles is when my body makes me decide if I am going to build muscle or drop fat and muscle overall to become more efficient at running for the few days. You might very well want to drop the cardio to a min until your body adjusts to weight lifting. It is a whole new kind of stress you are putting on your body.

3. Despite what people say, steady state cardio is awesome at burning fat. Fat is a major fuel in this arena. Does it also burn protein? Yep. If the protein isn't in your gut will it get from your muscles? Yep. If you maintain a huge caloric deficit will it have a negative impact on your muscle mass? Yep. If you are that worried than don't maintain a huge caloric deficit. See #1

4. MFP Myth: Have you ever seen a really jacked marathon runner? Everyone says no thinking about Nigerians destroying people in a race. I've seen tons of jacked marathon runners. Are they pulling 6 minute miles and winning races? Nope but they are there and running them.

5. There are so many different ways to get to whatever goal you want. Don't let people pigeon hole you into their way of thinking. The forums are full of people who can't accomplish their goals a certain way so they think that you can't either. Listen to your body and find what works for you and makes you happy. Keep a journal, be meticulous about recording everything to find what is working for your own personal body.

Also, never really seen a routine where there is cardio like that between sets. Wonder what the logic is behind that?

Nice.

In answer to your question, I'm sure it's with the intent of keeping the heart rate up, to keep the lifting session in the "cardio zone" or some such calorie burning goal.

If you're going to lift, lift heavy and lift first. Do your cardio afterwards, if you want to do cardio. Other than that, have at it.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    do you ENJOY cardio? You said you've been doing it for a few years now. I see no reason to stop completely if thats the case, just cut back.
    I started lifting about two months ago, and I would say on a normal lifting day I spend about 45-50 min at the free weights, another 20 min working on abs, and then I close my workout with 10-15 min of cardio. For my cardio I like to either run or do the stair master.
    When I do run i dont just jog though. I do sprints, something like 45 sec full sprint and 30 sec walk for the full 15 min.

I hate cardio.... more specifically running. Thats why I love lifting, you shed the fat and build muscle without having to spend 45 min on the treadmill. When you are doing a structured lifting session with no BS your heart rate will be up, you will sweat and your breathing changes. Because of that you dont have to do as much cardio. Plain and simple.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Read this saying:
    Cardio is for health and lifting is for happiness.
    Meaning you do the cardio for your heart lungs and so on and lifting is for overall fitness and strength.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer ( I have about 5 lbs to lose, but mostly want that muscle tone). She said stop doing so much cardio! It will burn my muscle , not the fat.

Sorry but that trainer is an idiot.
    Endurance athletes do a huge volume of training and obviously they wouldn't if it "burned their muscles".
    It's perfectly possible to combine cardio and strength training. Personally I prefer to do them on separate days so each workout is a quality workout.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Read this saying:
    Cardio is for health and lifting is for happiness.
    Meaning you do the cardio for your heart lungs and so on and lifting is for overall fitness and strength.
    I'd say overall fitness would incorporate strength, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance, speed, balance, etc. Lifting is good for strength and aesthetics. Most people seem to be only concerned with the aesthetics part so I'd say that is partly true.

How much cardio you do depends on your goals. Body builders are only concerned with building muscle so they will do little to no cardio. Marathon runners spend more time running and less time lifting. If your only concern is to lose weight you should focus more on your diet and less on what types of exercises you should be doing.

The older I get the less worried I am about aesthetics and the more I aim for total fitness. So I try to do a mix of cardio, weight lifting, and yoga. When I train for a race I do less lifting and more running. When I want to drop a few lbs. I eat less. When I want to bulk up I lift more and eat more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is pretty much spot on. I would slightly contest the # 3 point of cardio burning fat comment- only on semantics basis- cardio isn't so much a fat burner- it just puts you at a greater calorie deficit. A minor hair splitting issue....

I'm not a huge fan of cardio for several reasons- but I know it's not bad for me to do it.

But do it if you like it- do a little for your heart if you hate it.... it's not that serious. you don't NEED to do hours of cardio- some form of heart work is good- but it doesn't have to be "cardio" like going for a run- or getting on the eliptical- anything that gets the heart working is good- shoveling snow- having some good nookie- whatever- doesn't have to be RUNNING. Or walking or whatever.

cardio = cardiovascular. do some hiit- go rock climbing- go hiking- swimming play tennis. get creative- do something you like- life's to short to spend hours wasted on a treadmill if you hate it.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When i am lifting heavier i stop cardio. lifting is my cardio.
    when i begin to cut i add more cardio and lifting more reps which is more cardio.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Have you visited the bodybuilding.com web site? They have plans created by experts in the field that will explain all about resistance training versus cardio and how it all works together. Just hit the "find a plan" option and enter your goals. It's free.

I started the Jamie Eason LiveFit 12-week training plan two weeks ago, and it's kicking my butt in a good way.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    snip

QFT

QFT

Zing

Why do I get a zing?
    Lol