Jamaica and Antigua - anyone been?

Options
Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
I am going both places at some point this year...any recommendations on resorts or where to stay? things to do? :smile:

Replies

• DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    Ocho Rio Jamaica, the place is gorgeous and there's so much to do there!
  • ladywizard43
    ladywizard43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ohhh both sound amazing! I've been trying to decide where to go this year too, going to keep watch on this thread for suggestions! :)
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Dunns River in Jamiaca
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've been to Ochos Rios Jamaica but haven't been to Antigua yet, though it's on my list of places to go to. :) My husband and I went to Ochos Rios for our honeymoon and stayed at the Sandals resort there.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I've been to Jamaica 4 times. Each time we stay at one of the Couples Resorts (Couples Negril (Negril), Couples Swept Away (Negril) and Couples San Souci (Ocho Rios). I love the Couples resorts. They do an amazing job and another thing I like about Couples is that any excursions you want to do is included in the price. Booze cruise, snorkling, Dunns River, etc. If you wake up and decide you don't want to do anything, that's OK too.

Negril vs. Ocho Rios - Both are amazing. Negril has better beaches and is somewhat flat land.. Ocho Rios is more lush, green, tropical folage and much more hilly.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I have been to Negril, Jamaica, but not a resort. We rented a house in a neighborhood called Citronella. There was a semi-private cove in the back and it wasn't even that expensive. Had an absolutely amazing time.

As for what to do there? I'm sure you'll figure it out. ;)
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I spent a week in Antigua in 2004 and loved it. We stayed at the Jolly Beach and it was good. I wouldn't say it was great, but they had everything I needed and I wasn't really there for the room anyway.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    We stayed in Guatemala City and went and had lunch and shopped in Antigua one of the days. Oh wait... wrong Antigua.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband and I absolutely LOVE Negril, Jamaica! We've stayed at Couples Negril twice. We are going back in early April (less than 6 weeks - YAY!), but this time we are trying a different resort -- Sunset at the Palms. If you are looking for beautiful beach and a laid-back vibe, Negril is perfect!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Dunns River Falls and Ocho Rios are both on the northern coast of Jamaica and are beautiful places to visit. I forget the name but they have some zip lining and Jamaican style bobsledding up there as well that was fun. I went for the deep sea fishing and that was complete waste of time since the only thing I caught was a buzz off of the red stripe = ) If I were to do it again though I would check out the Negril side of the island as I here it is a totally different atmosphere.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you are a drinker, but even if you're not, the BEST place I have ever been in Jamaica is Floyd's Pelican Bar!! It's in Negril and we had SOOOO much fun there! You can order fresh lobster lunch ahead...and even some..ahem..ganja.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Couples Resort in Negril was great!
  • Phenylethylamine_Phreak
    Options
    I have been to

Jolly Beach in Antiqua, depending which carrier you book with, some of the rooms are a little tired. Buffet is OK, a la carte is nice. White Sandy beach, you can wade forever, not much diving or snorkeling.

Sandals Whitehouse. Un-believable. Beaches, service, rooms - top of the line. 7 a la carte restaurants, no reservations, no line ups. The way to go.

If you want to see pretty fish (and an amazing coral reef 50 feet off shore) look at Roatan, Honduras. best snorkeling anywhere.

Cozumel & Akumal in Mexico are pretty impressive too