anyone found the root cause of why you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Coltsatc
    Options
    Beer, Fast food, and extreme laziness
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Somehow I realized I had to take care of myself. I have had a few people in my life, parents,xhusband, work stuff that made me feel worthless. Hey, they were not right! Also other people just say oh you will just gain it back, they are not right either! Hey, I think I am beginning to find my root causes.
    Why I turn to food, I don't know, I was little until I was about 17 years old, but life is not fair and these are the cards dealt me so I want to know how to deal. MFP is definitely supportive. Yep, developing a life style to keep the weight off is the answer. We are not helpless.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Somehow I realized I had to take care of myself. I have had a few people in my life, parents,xhusband, work stuff that made me feel worthless...We are not helpless.

So, I listed the root cause. Now I'm gonna list why I don't gain it back:

self love, inspiring others, being a role model, seeing the results of me making the world a better place every single day
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Funny I just wrote a blog post about this exact topic. My answer is going to be a bit different and not focus on why I gained weight personally but moreover what the root cause is of weight gain.
    Inflammation is at the core of weight gain. Hidden allergens, infections, environmental toxins, an inflammatory diet, and stress are the real causes of inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, thyroid disease, inflammatory bowel disease, and more. Autoimmune diseases, specifically, now affect 24 million people and cost $120 billion a year to treat representing nearly twice the economic health care burden of cancer (about $ 70 billion a year).
    All of these autoimmune conditions, at their root, are connected by one central biochemical process: An out of control immune response that results in your body attacking its own tissues. While fighting an infection, a toxin, an allergen, a food or the stress response, it redirects the attack on your joints, brain, thyroid, gut, skin or your whole body.
    By asking yourself and your doctor the questions about what is causing the problem you can uncover a more clear solution. Look for toxins, allergens, and infections to find the real causes of inflammation. You can heal your immune system by supporting it with nutrients like fish oil, zinc, vitamin D, herbs and probiotics and being put on a clean diet which is allergen-free and anti-inflammatory.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I gained weight for the following reasons:

- got a running injury and had to stop running for 8 months
    - took a job where I had a 4 hour commute each day
    - stopped working out for the most part because of lack of time
    - was stressed out and ate more because of it
    - was using food to feel good.....which really doesn't work, in the end (this was the biggest culprit)

Once I realized that food wasn't meeting my emotional needs, it was easier to stop. I also belong to a women's eating disorder support group. We have bingers, anorexics, and overeaters.....different sides of the same coin. That group has taught me so much about self-compassion and that perfectionistic thinking causes lots of problems in life, eating issues included.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

100% agree there is no magic answer one size fits all.
    but id put my money that for *most* emotionally eating are the core issues.
    [/quote]

AGREED.....
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oreo's

^Exactly! (Now they make MEGA stuffed oreos!!!!! :love: )
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My weight gain started my senior year of high school and was due to a combination of many things:
    1) I could buy whatever I wanted for lunch including pizza, cookies, chips, etc. Mom was kind of restrictive with what we could eat so when it was up to me, I went with the junky indulgence stuff
    2) my brother was home from Desert Storm and like many of us, turned to food for comfort, and I was his eating buddy
    3) I was also the eating buddy for a few of my school friends
    4) I was emotional eating for my own reasons - stressed out about all the life changes coming after graduation and a major falling out with some friends

And honestly, I think once I gained the weight, I kind of liked having that barrier between me and the rest of the world. I could be tough and funny and not have to worry about guys giving me tons of attention like I had all thrugh high school (I still had boyfriends but they were fewer and farther between in my early 20's before meeting Hubster).

Even once I met Hubster, I guess I just didn't love myself enough to make the changes I needed to. I said I wanted to lose weight and tried several diets, etc but never found one that stuck. And Hubby didn't care that I was "fluffy", that just meant there was more of me to love. :)

Thankfully I finally figured out that I could lose weight without starving myself or taking pills or any of that extreme stuff. I did use WW for the first 6 months but I've been on my own since and have been making slow and steady progress over the last 4 years. I'm thrilled to have gotten this far and not regained or given up (no more than a slight gain anyway before I get back on track).

OP, I'm glad you're working on figuring out your root causes and how you can fight them! It's not easy but it's well worth it in the long run!!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For me, it seems like my root cause was laziness, denial and excuses.

Too lazy to cook. Too lazy to exercise. In denial about how many calories I ate. In denial about the harm I was doing to myself. Making excuses that "my whole family is fat, it's just destiny." Making excuses that "I don't have time" "I don't have the willpower" "I don't have a treadmill"

When really what it took me was deciding it was important, not making excuses, and being honest with myself about what I was putting into my body.

Oh my, this is me exactly!!! I never had to do anything else really because I was naturally on the thinner side and ate whatever I wanted. Then came my kiddo and I gained weight and started doing all of this: the excuses, denying that I was getting bigger, denying the fact that I can't eat whatever I want and stay the same, all of it. I feel like I am a lazy person all the time because I am so tired I just don't want to do anything, but I am working on that.

Edited to fix a horrible run on sentence! :wink: I'm not great a grammar, but it even annoyed me!!! Lol!:laugh:
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Depression.

I've struggled with it all my life.

I've used both binge eating and binge drinking as crutches at different times in my life. I've completely managed to stop the binge drinking, but still working on the binge eating.

Thankfully, as I've learned to manage my depression better, managing my weight has gotten a lot easier.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    For me it was too much food and too little action....
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Two things. Emotional eating..eating when I'm bored or angry or sad. Second cause, portions out of whack. I would eat the same portions as my taller normal weight husband. I have a better handle on both things now.
  • wesleysmom11
    Options
    i like food and i like to eat a lot of it. and generally speaking i'm lazy.
    basically it.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    3 reasons:

1. You eat too much food and dont exercise
    2. You have some sort of health issue
    3. You're getting old and thats just kinda what happens...
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I blame my mother.

I blame your mother, as well.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    chocolate and cheetos.

And working a stressful nonprofit job with crazy hours.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    Inserting food into word hole.
  • demtdkd
    demtdkd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Addicted to the taste of high calorie food. That combined with periods of not eating enough then eating way too much. This site gives me a cut off point and tells me when I haven't eaten enough.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Too many calories pass through my lips.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I ate too much