Fitness level of personal trainers

Options
2»

Replies

• Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't think I personally will pay to anybody who doesn't show their "resume" on their body.
    [/quote

I agree with this but it is best to choose a PT based on their credentials. A BS/Masters in Kinesiology or related field and a nationally recognized certification with rigorous training and cont. ed requirements.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would also prefer someone knowledgeable over someone fit and clueless. However, how do you know who is knowledgeable? When you hire a PT, you don't know what's right. That's why you go to a pro for help.
    Very true. I suppose you can ask them about their qualifications or their knowledge on certain subjects. You can watch them train other people to see if you like their style and if they are instructing people with proper form. You can go by word of mouth, ask your friends if they have any trainers they could recommend. Ask the internet. Any of those are probably better than just selecting the trainer that looks the most fit.

I see some trainers at my gym just sit people down on a machine and say lift this x amount of times, while I see other trainers with their clients in the freeweights doing compound movements and helping them with their form. I would probably pick the second one regardless of how they look.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What does fit look like exactly?

The PT's at my gym have numerous backgrounds...one of them is a Mt. Biker...he just looks like you average ordinary dude who's not overweight...actually, he's pretty skinny...he doesn't have bulging muscles or anything like that. In fact, there are a couple of PTs at my gym that just like like your average ordinary person that is just not overweight...no big muscles, no ripped 6 packs, etc...just pretty ordinary...but I assure you they are in phenomenal condition as I've seen them work.

We have 3 very muscular PTs at my gym that I suppose would fit that stereotype of what I suppose some people imagine every PT should look like. There is one female PT who looks hard as nails...one who is a triathlete and tri coach...and the others mostly do zumba classes and what not so they just again, look kinda normal if I were to just see them walking down the street. We have one power lifting PT who is definitely fat...but he's a power lifter who can rep out with 500+ Lbs so....I'm certainly not going to be challenging his expertise or fitness.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There aren't any real requirements physically. I wouldn't have a problem with an overweight trainer if the trainer was in progress of improving their fitness. For example, if I took the personal trainer exam and passed today, I would still be overweight, but that wouldn't mean that i know nothing about losing weight, I've lost over 58 pounds since July and I'm still making progress.

However, if the personal trainer was someone who was out of shape and not making any progress to improve that... I might have a bit of a problem with it. So it would depend.

It would also depend on where they came from. If it was someone who used to weigh 400 pounds, and had successfully lost 200 pounds, and still had 50 more to go, I think I would be impressed by how much progress they had made and figure that they could probably offer advice on how to lose weight. However, if it was someone who six months ago weighed 50 pounds LESS than they do now so that they were gaining fat... I don't think I'd want them advising me.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    With the exception of say powerlifters who can be fat as cow/out of shape but can lift a truck, I don't really get it either.

I would think your body would be the first line of marketing for yourself. I know what OP is saying as I've seen several slobs of personal trainers around my area. Maybe thier target market is more of the fat acceptance type of pers..........hey, wait a minute, that's genius marketing there. Fat personal trainers are actually smarter than I thought. It all makes sense now.
  • Aa0406
    Aa0406 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to add that the particular PT I have noticed isn't overweight, but rather skinny, but so obviously not fit. You know, the posture is wrong, the chest isn't up when showing exercises, back hunched over, body composition is off, no toned muscles. Everything so subtle, but overall impression is that person isn't fit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have to add that the particular PT I have noticed isn't overweight, but rather skinny, but so obviously not fit. You know, the posture is wrong, the chest isn't up when showing exercises, back hunched over, body composition is off, no toned muscles. Everything so subtle, but overall impression is that person isn't fit.
    then you know- you don't want to be training with that guy!!!