Options
2»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Why do I get a zing?
    Lol

Because that's my way of saying I agree with you. I dunno what QTF means anyway lol
  • donnalee120
    donnalee120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer ( I have about 5 lbs to lose, but mostly want that muscle tone). She said stop doing so much cardio! It will burn my muscle , not the fat. She has me lifting 3-4 days a week and only 2 days cardio (15-30 min) of HIIT . That is it! She said building up that muscle will help you burn more calories over time (more than just what you burn in one cardio session). So, it's hard for me to give up the 30-45 on the elliptical, but I am trusting her... I'm only a few weeks in, but already feeling tighter.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Why do I get a zing?
    Lol

Because that's my way of saying I agree with you. I dunno what QTF means anyway lol

Ahhh hahah
    QFT is quoted for truth
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Do as much or little cardio as you choose, but realize that "building muscle" requires that you eat in a calorie surplus and gain weight, which will be hard to achieve with excessive amounts of cardio. "Toning up" (as far as I can tell) generally refers to the process of dropping body fat while maintaining lean mass (but not building new) which requires a calorie deficit with lifting (and cardio will help you create a bigger deficit).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your fitness goals (notice i did not say weight loss goals) and your calorie deficit.

when i was eating at maintenance i had no problems strength training AND running a few 10ks a month. eating ata deficit makes that harder and eating at like a 1000 calorie deficit pretty much makes it impossible.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer ( I have about 5 lbs to lose, but mostly want that muscle tone). She said stop doing so much cardio! It will burn my muscle , not the fat. She has me lifting 3-4 days a week and only 2 days cardio (15-30 min) of HIIT . That is it! She said building up that muscle will help you burn more calories over time (more than just what you burn in one cardio session). So, it's hard for me to give up the 30-45 on the elliptical, but I am trusting her... I'm only a few weeks in, but already feeling tighter.
    Building muscle will help you burn more calories over time, but it's very small. 1 lb of muscle burns about 5-6 calories per day at rest. 1 lb of fat burns about 2 (per the interwebz). So you can gain 10 lbs of muscle but you're only burning another 50-60 calories a day.
  • donnalee120
    donnalee120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    February 26, 2014 2:28 pm

QUOTE:

• greshka
    greshka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also, never really seen a routine where there is cardio like that between sets. Wonder what the logic is behind that?

The only reason I can see a cardio between sets is for cross fit. But cross fit is a combination of extreme callistenics and cardio to be done in a certain amount of time. To start, it is slow and progresses to a more demanding time frame, pushing yourself to the limit. Again, this form of exercise is untraditional in the use of weights and resistance.

Otherwise, I do not see the purpose of cardio, set, cardio, set....when you can cardio for a warm up, sets, then low impact cool down cardio.

I was never a personal trainer on paper, but my military background and taking courses for private use has let me to understand the ins and outs of what it takes to burn fat and/or build muscle, etc.

Its funny that this is on the forum, my co-worker and I go to the gym together M-F during lunch and I explain many different things about weight lose and muscle mass to her so that she understands what we are doing that day. She mentions that she had heard other people say the same thing after I have and she is seeing the results. Right now, we are still in the cardio/fat burner stage. April, we start lifting and I told her that we would not be doing cardio but 2 days out of the week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why do I get a zing?
    Lol

Ahhh hahah
    QFT is quoted for truth

here it means that.... other places it mens quit fu*king talking. hard adjustment if you come from other places.

also zing usually means PWNNNED

Otherwise, I do not see the purpose of cardio, set, cardio, set....when you can cardio for a warm up, sets, then low impact cool down cardio.

um.... HIIT training.... that's pretty much all that is.

wildly effective and a great source of cardio/resistance training and time management. I did HIIT training almost exclusively for 2 years- it's fabulous for people who don't have a lot of time to work out- or want something totally different.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Everyone questioning the cardio in between sets should research "metabolic" training/workouts.

It keeps your heart rate up and provides caloric burn by doing "active rest" between weight lifting sets...like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jump squats, jump rope, etc.

Not saying it's necessary by any means, and it depends on your overall goals, but it is a legit workout method that many bodybuilders and fitness athletes use to cut their body fat leading up to competitions, etc rather than standard cardio sessions..
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    haha! Good to know :) Thanks! I just need to stick with it now!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Do as much or little cardio as you choose, but realize that "building muscle" requires that you eat in a calorie surplus and gain weight, which will be hard to achieve with excessive amounts of cardio. "Toning up" (as far as I can tell) generally refers to the process of dropping body fat while maintaining lean mass (but not building new) which requires a calorie deficit with lifting (and cardio will help you create a bigger deficit).

Thank you for pointing this out.