Any easy low cal recipes that won't break the bank?

Options
Alex4242
Alex4242 Posts: 1
Today I realized that I need to eat healthy foods and begin to exercise. I am a 19yr old college student so it's a bit difficult to eat healthy since I've notice that healthy eating is a bit more expensive. I'm on a budget and eating from the dollar menu is always cheaper. Does anyone have any low cal easy to make recipes that they'd like to share? My cal goal is 1200 a day. Thanks!

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    servings are 12 and only about 7 bucks to make the whole thing not to mention very low cal :) it was soooo good ;) and filling!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1034572-14-bean-chili-no-meat

also I buy the bags of frozen chicken breast from winn dixie when there on sale and get them buy one get one free, I get frozen vegies, rice, yogurt, peanut butter, oats... all are healthy and very cheap :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been doing onions, garlic, peppers, tomato and celery with the meat of my choice.

Heat a skillet with some sort of oil (I've been using sunflower since it's what we have) and dice the onions and garlic and add them to the pan.

Dice the peppers and celery and add them a couple of minutes later.

Slice the meat as thin as you'd like (it cooks faster this way, and I can eat it without cutting it at work) and add it to the skillet.

Once the meat is almost cooked, add the tomatoes.

I do this same recipe with chicken, pork, beef tenderloin and ground beef. You can buy whatever is on sale.

I usually cook a whole skillet full. Then I take it to work for 2 days. Depending on how much meat and oil you use, this usually comes in between 200 and 400 calories. And it keeps me full until dinner time. You can add some rice on the side if you need more calories or carbs.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been doing onions, garlic, peppers, tomato and celery with the meat of my choice.

Heat a skillet with some sort of oil (I've been using sunflower since it's what we have) and dice the onions and garlic and add them to the pan.

Dice the peppers and celery and add them a couple of minutes later.

Slice the meat as thin as you'd like (it cooks faster this way, and I can eat it without cutting it at work) and add it to the skillet.

Once the meat is almost cooked, add the tomatoes.

I do this same recipe with chicken, pork, beef tenderloin and ground beef. You can buy whatever is on sale.

I usually cook a whole skillet full. Then I take it to work for 2 days. Depending on how much meat and oil you use, this usually comes in between 200 and 400 calories. And it keeps me full until dinner time. You can add some rice on the side if you need more calories or carbs.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Keep them coming. lol, I think we could ALL use some of these in these days and times.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Stir-fried vegetables are a staple for me. Go really easy on the oil/sauces. Seasoning with garlic, 5-spice powder, red pepper flakes, etc is preferable to all the "Asian sauces" they sell at the grocery store (and taste better, too!). Cabbage, onions, and broccoli are all pretty cheap and they go a long way! I like to buy large packages of chicken when it's on sale and freeze it so I have a quick/easy protein source.

If you or a friend have a membership to Sam's Club/Costco/etc you can get large quantities of fresh fruit/veg for a lot less than a local grocer...and depending on where you live, sometimes shopping farmer's markets is even cheaper!
    (When I was in college/grad school, I split a membership with a friend for Sam's Club so we could buy food there. Each membership is allowed a "Complimentary spouse" membership, so we didn't have to go together to shop, either!)
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Soup (home made that is) is actually ridiculously low calorie, and quite filling. If you add something like chickpeas (for protein) then it'll keep you going even longer. Plus you can make a big batch and keep it in the freezer for when you're short on time or funds.

If you're new to cooking just look up a couple of recipes.

Pumpkin soup usually is something along the lines of:

half a pumpkin
    an onion
    chicken stock (fill the pot enough to cover the ingredients)
    salt / pepper
    boil for about 20 minutes, then stick in the food processor / blender / use stick mixer

if you hate cutting pumpkins - roast it for an hour first to make it nice and soft. if you don't have the time just buy a cut pumpkin already and stick it in the microwave on low.

even if you stir in 1 cup of lite cream at the end it is delish and still low calorie.

Leek and potato soup is one of my favourites.
    Same again
    but use a leek and some potato instead of the pumpkin.

With a couple of pieces of toast it is all super easy, low calorie and very cheap :-)

Cheap and easy.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    one can black beans
    one can chili beans
    2 cans diced tomatoes no salt
    1 pack taco seasoning
    2 cans water:

chili without meat but you cant even tell the difference I promise

this makes 8 servings.......very low calories and budget friendly.....even my kids like it

I usually buy all great value brand of these products at .68 a can at walmart......you can make this for less than $4.00

that means 50cents for each serving add hot sauce if you like to your preference
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention to drain the black beans well first
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually buy from Costco:

Bag of salad $2.09
    24 Eggs $6.99

Bag of salad lasts me about 3-4 days. Eggs last me about a week or two. It's really cheap, but will get boring real fast.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    my basic vegie soup is:

1 can of canned tomatoes (about 400-420g)
    2 carrots
    1 medium size onion
    1/2 red pepper (no seeds)
    1 potato (keep skin)
    1/2 pumpkin (i like butternut)
    250 ml of stock (optional)

then add chopped vegies in season- so for us, I recently added
    - 1 zucchini
    - handful mushrooms

add- some more water to reach about 3/4s pot
    add (to taste)- salt, pepper, oregano (I use about 1/4 teaspoon), garlic (1 use 1/2 teaspoon), chili flakes

simmer for about 45 mins/1 hour.

then blend (optional step).
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Rice Pudding

0.5 serving long-grain brown rice
    1 tbsp pb
    splash milk of choice
    Optional:
    2 tsp honey
    cinnamon, sugar, etc.

Put cooked (best way is using leftovers) rice and pb (and any other dry ingredient) in bowl and microwave until warm and gooey. Splash in milk. Stir up. Enjoy!

calories depend on your brand choices. VERY cheap.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Yum
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can make hummus yourself for very cheap (A can of chickpeas, some garlic, and olive oil) and can customize it all you want. Eat it with fresh veggies (carrots and celery are very cheap) or spread on a wrap or bread. Peanut butter lasts a long time and is inexpensive. Tofu isn't very expensive and has a lot of uses (I like to throw it in my protein shake in the morning with a banana, some milk, some cocoa, greek yogurt, and frozen fruit).

Edit: another way to eat on a budget is watch the grocery ads and buy more than one thing when it's on sale. When peanut butter is on special, i buy two. When canned beans go on sale for 4/$1 I get 8, etc.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chili-lime-shrimp-bowls/

I just subbed the long grain rice for a sprouted rice and quinoa blend I like from Costco.

There are a number of good recipes on that site, you may have to make a few substitutions here and there, but no big deal :)
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I substitute spaghetti squash for spaghetti. It's pricier than pasta, but it's not too bad, and if you roast it with garlic in the oven it's amazing.

That was my supper tonight, "spaghetti" and homemade tomato sauce (store bought sauces usually have a lot of sugar). Low in calories, high in fibre and flavour!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i stock up on frozen veg when they are on sale and bulk my meals with that. protein wise, it's cheaper if you get a whole chicken and cook that then portion it and freeze it (i don't eat meat but i got a whole chicken for my bf, cooked it in the slow cooker and then shredded it and froze it in baggies). from there you can make a stir fry with veggies and chicken, add rice if you like. dried beans are cheaper than canned, you can cook a whole bag or two in the slow cooker and then freeze them in like 2 cup portions, that's what i do. you can make taco salads with seasoning and use either meat or beans, top with onions, peppers, banana peppers, corn, diced tomatos. chili is something cheap to make in the slow cooker or on the stove and you can eat that either on spaghetti, in a burrito or by itself. pasta is cheap too and if you want you can have 1oz dry instead of 2oz dry and bulk it out with veggies instead.