need to lose 10 pounds in roughly 15 days

Options

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I know of a diet called "The Rapid Fat Loss" diet by Lyle McDonald. It should give you what you need.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Ha! Not gonna happen. You should have started thinking about this sooner. Sorry, but there is no safe way to lose that much weight in that short time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    you could go zero carb seven days before your weigh in and that should help you drop about 5-7 pounds (maybe??) in water weight…that is about all I got …

^this

I've dropped about eight pounds in the past two weeks just from cutting my carbs way back (because in order to make my protein and fat minimums, I had very few calories left).

And find some high school wrestlers (or similar) to give you their pointers on making weight.

ETA: I've read OP three times now, and I *still* don't see any reference to doing this "safe" or "healthy". Why are people assuming that's part of the question? He's making weight for a weigh-in to meet a commitment. There's nothing healthy about this in any way.
  • jjjoeoeoe
    jjjoeoeoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose 2 lbs per week. That would suggest it's entirely feasible to lose 3 or 4 lbs in a week.

Let's say you're carrying around 3 or 4 lb of water weight-- probably actually on the lower side of average.

So, let's see... you can cut 2 to 4 lb per week. You can also feasibly shed 3 or 4 lb of water weight the night before weigh in. (When I was wrestling, it was not uncommon to shed up to ten lbs of water weight in a single practice the night before weigh-in.) That's not to mention that most people are at least a lb or two lighter in the morning.

I'm really not seeing what's so impossible about this. I can't recommend it, but it's not impossible in the slightest, and it wouldn't even be all that unhealthy for some people.
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honestly - if you didn't plan far enough ahead to meet the entry requirements for the job, are you sure it's really for you? Crash dieting seems like a sign of poor planning here. Maybe step back and think things through.
  • JamieToo
    Options
    Is it even possible?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My motuer took epsom salt baths to make weight for the Navy
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not really healthy, but as an only girl with three brothers who were all high school wrestlers...
    Get a sauna suit from walmart fitness section. Jog and sweat. Spit in a cup the whole time. Weigh in. Drink a ton of Gatorade to rehydrate then eat.

If you want to do it less um, heat stroke inducing, go carb free for a week, As in all meat and veggies, not fruit or grains or processed food. Dont eat or drink the morning of weigh in. Be sure you have pooped... Call it good and then eat and drink.

Then put on your big boy pants, get serious about your new career choice, get on a reasonable eating plan and exercise.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    you could go zero carb seven days before your weigh in and that should help you drop about 5-7 pounds (maybe??) in water weight…that is about all I got …

This. Eliminate virtually all carbs between then and now and you'll drop it. You'll gain it back instantly once you eat carbs again, though.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This. Eliminate virtually all carbs between then and now and you'll drop it. You'll gain it back instantly once you eat carbs again, though.

OP doesn't need to drop the weight. They just need to make tape (BF%). I was something like 15lbs "overweight" when I left. I made my weight requirement approx. 0 times in my 8 year career.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    He said he failed tape too...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

OP doesn't need to drop the weight. They just need to make tape (BF%). I was something like 15lbs "overweight" when I left. I made my weight requirement approx. 0 times in my 8 year career.

He already said he failed the tape by 3%.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am a recruit for the national guard. I was recently informed that I do not make the weight requirements necessary for the national guard. I am 7 pounds overweight. I have basically 2 weeks to fix this. I do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!

You just need to get a weight waiver, as long as you pass the BS body fat measurement they'll waiver you up to 10% bodyweight.

As far as losing 10 pounds in 15 days, there is no healthy way to do it, and cutting off body parts will disqualify you from service as well.

Rigger

This.

Also, if you don't meet the requirements of a weight waiver, how long have you known about this? Usually you can get more than a couple of weeks to prepare, but I suppose it could happen. I really don't want to discourage you, but be prepared, people do continue to struggle with weight once they are in the military. Meals are practically a buffet and as much physical work as you do, you can still gain weight. I don't want to worry you too much, but the military is not a fun place for someone who struggles with their weight. I felt really bad for the soldiers who were always falling out of runs and getting yelled at. They were like jokes and it was a constant stress for them. That's mean, but it's what I saw.
  • jjjoeoeoe
    jjjoeoeoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We're still all talking about this like it's 30 lbs instead of 7.

The math is really simple, folks:

2lbs per week (the upper limit on "safe" weight loss).

That's 4 lbs you can lose, permanently, by weigh-in.

So 3 lbs to go.

To this day, my weight fluctuates by 3 lbs depending on what/when I've eaten and how much water weight I've sweated off.

There's really nothing about this that calls for "oh how could you get yourself into such a tight spot should have planned better it's impossible blah blah blah." It is entirely possible. The only thing that suggests it's not possible is the fact that OP posted here looking for easy answers.

I don't understand your defeatist attitudes.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Since this is just for a weigh in and not for "real" weight loss, personally I would eliminate ALL carbs, I mean every single one. Not one single gram.

I would then start on diuretics about a week out from weigh in (but make sure you drink a TON of water with that!). For the day of weigh in would do a water enema to cleanse the colon.

I would be you drop the weight, of course you will put it right back on instantly, but at least you will weigh in.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

He already said he failed the tape by 3%.

And OP probably doesn't need to drop 15lbs to make up that 3%.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is telling you unsafe,, unhealthy, not doable. But its totally doable.. you can shed massive amounts of water weight FAST.. its not something you SHOULD do, but its not going to kill you if you are relatively healthy. We used to do it to make weight in wrestling all of the time.

I'm not going to go into the ways to do it, because I dont want to disseminate any info that could even have a chance of hurting anyone, but Google is your friend. As everyone else has said its not healthy and there are better ways to get into the service, get the waiver, get into a remedial exercise program to make weight before boot camp. There were plenty of chubby guys at the beginning of my boot camp (none by the end) so there are ways to get by that hurdle.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Cut off your leg
    Let's not be silly.

Eat at a deficit and exercise, and just before the weigh in, cut off your foot. The whole leg would be overkill.

Finally, someone is being rational! :wink: