Do you stress eat?

Options

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I can't eat when I'm stressed. Once I even spent 24 hours without eating because I was really under pressure, and didn't even feel hungry.

I mostly have to deal with eating too many sweets on PMS. My way of dealing... Not to keep it in the house. Have just a little bit (because otherwise I'd go crazy) and not have that food I want to eat around me.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I used to.
    Now, I stress workout.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Depends on HOW stressed. Normal run of the mill bad day stress...sometimes. Over the top, end of the world, OMG run away stressed. Stop eating. Stop functioning. Go to bed. :grumble:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used to. Now I just eat my fingernails instead.
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    With regular stress, I'll stress eat, I'll eat the same amount as normal, just foods that aren't so great for you. If it's stress from anxiety I completely lose my appetite and if I didn't make myself eat I could probably go a few days lol
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I wish I lost my appetite when I'm stressed. Instead I want to stuff my face with chocolate and other unhealthy fattening foods. I have managed to get control of it now (not saying completely but much better). Now what I do is stop myself and ask why I want to eat whatever it is I am just about to mindlessly shove in my gob. If I am still determined I check the calories and sometimes seeing that is enough to stop me in my tracks lol. If, after all that I still really want it then I will have it and enter it in MFP. I will have very few and far between days where I have more than I wanted to should have had but I chalk it down to one bad day and move on. I don't beat myself up like I used to and I don't think, oh that's it the diet's ruined now. Took a while but I think I have learned self control :smile:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a stress eater, but I don't actually feel hungry when I'm stressed, I simply eat and have no mindfulness of how much I'm eating. When I'm stressed, I can even forget that I ate - I can have two breakfasts, or a second dinner at 11pm forgetting that I ate a huge burger at 7pm :/

That's why I like MFP's accountability. I track everything either before I eat it, or immediately afterwards, so even if I'm busy or stressed I KNOW what I ate, no forgetting ever again!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I used to. Now I just eat my fingernails instead.
    Noooo! D:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite when I'm stressed. Last year, I was in charge of logistics of bringing a team of 13 preteen boys and accompany families to a soccer tournament in Las Vegas and had lost 3 lbs over the course of that trip.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Some of the people I know go on extreme food binges when something stressful is happening. Do you do the same? If so, what are your security measures so you don't go overboard? When I am stressed, I LOSE my appetite (which really blows). I have to force feed myself.

I don't stress eat. I lose my appetite also, but I'd stress eat you....

ETA: sorry, couldn't help myself, I took the oppurtinity and ran with it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am sure that I do stress eat sometimes, but it is within my calories and usually within my macros. Wow, boring answer, eh?

Generally when something happens and there is really NOTHING I can do about it...I will be more likely to stress eat. Like when my husband's parents died (both recently but for different reasons) I instantly wanted full fat ice cream both times and indulged. Or if something stressful happens at work I'll be more likely to want to pick up some chocolate or go out to dinner instead of going home and cooking a healthy meal.

In years past I did that WAYYYYY too much. In fact after hovering around 260 lb for a decade I shot up to 307 (my all-time high) because I got a "better" job that was much more stressful and difficult. So I was practically "rewarding" myself with food and lattes for making it through each day. NOT good!!

When really bad stuff happens though I can sometimes lose my appetite. There was a very bad tornado in my town a few years ago, it killed a lot of people (some I knew), destroyed my house, and basically a third of my hometown was gone in a flash. That experience made it very difficult for me to eat for about a month and especially the first week I could basically only keep down some Kit Kats and tea. I know some people who have lost a lot of weight since the tornado, and I know other people who have binged and gained large amounts of weight since going through the same ordeal. Everyone deals with stuff differently. (as for me I lost weight in the year before it happened, then stayed at the same weight for about 2 years before I joined MFP and started losing again)
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I eat with emotions- big time! The worst thing is that whenever I'm upset, mad, angry, scared...anything negative, I want food instantly. Sometimes, I can get easily stressed because of people and the first thing I think about is toffee popcorn, which is my weakness. I can very easily eat a big bag to myself and feel better whilst eating it but after I eat it, I feel even worse.

The last time I 'fell off the wagon' so to speak was about 9-10 months back when work life and my friends as well were stressing me right out. I just bought a few bags of chocolate peanuts and a couple of bags of toffee popcorn and scoffed the lot in one night without anyone knowing. To stop it, I tend to look at myself in the mirror and remind myself that I'm losing weight and that it's a temporary fix. It almost goes, it lingers a bit but it eventually goes. There's been a few times where I felt like doing the same thing recently but when I have a thought like that popping into my head, I quickly go to the fruit and veg and buy fruit. If I can't do that, I'll do a quick five-minute jabs and uppercuts. Works almost instantly.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nah...stress is not good for my body...
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i stress-everything. stress eat, stress smoke, stress sleep, stress drink, stress pill pop [prescribed though not abuse], stress starve, stress exercise [im liking this one the best these days]

eating your feelings is a hard habit to break. best advice i ever got:

'feel your feelings. when you won't feel your feelings, corporate america wins. its when you eat garbage, choke your feelings literally back dwn with cigarettes, watch dirty movies, etc'

no idea what i actually contributed to this thread, but yeah, i have stress eaten.. ive been better lately. i did have a chocolate binge the other day. but thats nothing compared to what it used to be like!
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I eat with emotions- big time! The worst thing is that whenever I'm upset, mad, angry, scared...anything negative, I want food instantly. Sometimes, I can get easily stressed because of people and the first thing I think about is toffee popcorn, which is my weakness. I can very easily eat a big bag to myself and feel better whilst eating it but after I eat it, I feel even worse.

this. once, many years ago, when my belly was all bloated, and somebody asked if i was pregnant [the turd], i got upset.. but where did i go right after, during my break? to mcds, to get a junior chicken.

habits CAN be broken =]

another thing ive learned lately that helps--stay full throughout the day. like really full [on healthy stuff]. even if you crave the garbage, you'll be too full to really go for it. =]
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No...just the opposite. Don't eat, don't sleep. Might drink too much though.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think I used to, but I do not stress eat per se. I would say it is more of a stressful or busy time I eat out more. My grandmother died in November and the week she was in the hospital and the week after were 2 weeks of nothing but take out.

In other situations I try to stick with bringing my food or cooking at home and hitting the gym. The gym makes me feel not as stressed.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes, I stress eat. (Only once when I was incredibly 'down' have I not had an appetite - maybe twice, can't remember the details from the earlier one when I was 11.)
    I also 'happy' eat. And "neither happy nor sad' eat.

Yep, that'd be why I'm on this site :).
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Depends on what it is: when my mom was in the hospital I didn't have an appetite.

When I miscolor my hair and can't get to the salon right away, I will eat anything I can find.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Where you goooo chucky!!!!! Come back soon!! :flowerforyou: