Help me!

Options
I'm not sure if it's a lack of self control or self discipline but I cannot seem to stop eating junk. I will eat unhealthy, know I'm eating unhealthy crap, enjoy it while I'm eating it and then really regret it afterwards and get really disgusted with myself bc I know I shouldn't have purged out. I know what I need to do to lose weight yet I still eat all these things I know I shouldn't. I feel like the need to eat is overwhelming and I HAVE to eat (and it always ends up being the bad stuff)...and then hate myself for doing it. Someone be straight with me. Do I have a problem!? Do you feel like it's just a self lacking thing? This kind of eating for me usually happens at night...my day usually starts out pretty healthy and then seems to decrease as the day goes on.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You will find it easier to resist bingeing at night if you feed yourself enough nutritious food during the day.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Salty cravings can be caused by dehydration. Your body wants the salt to try and hold more water, and if you're anything like me you might forget to drink water every now and then. PLAIN WATER. No flavors. Drinking sweet things all the time (even zero calorie ones) will make you crave sweet food. I saw a huge improvement in my cravings after just one week of drinking nothing but water.

Also, never shop hungry. You buy crap and then it's starting you in the face 24/7. Out of sight out of mind. It's ok to have a few treats in the house but have the where you won't see them all the time, keep them out our your room, and put a picture of something cute you want to fit into, or of yourself at a lower weight next to them to remind yourself what you're fighting for.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    get really disgusted with myself bc I know I shouldn't have purged out.

If you are purging, you need to seek medical attention. In addition to the psychological aspects of purging, it can cause physical damage, especially to your esophagus.

If you are in the US, here is a link to a hotline: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    get really disgusted with myself bc I know I shouldn't have purged out.

If you are purging, you need to seek medical attention. In addition to the psychological aspects of purging, it can cause physical damage, especially to your esophagus.

If you are in the US, here is a link to a hotline: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

I was really hoping she got binging and purging confused when she posted this for lack of experience with them but you're completely right. OP TAKE A LOOK!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's a lack of self control or self discipline but I cannot seem to stop eating junk. I will eat unhealthy, know I'm eating unhealthy crap, enjoy it while I'm eating it and then really regret it afterwards and get really disgusted with myself bc I know I shouldn't have purged out. I know what I need to do to lose weight yet I still eat all these things I know I shouldn't. I feel like the need to eat is overwhelming and I HAVE to eat (and it always ends up being the bad stuff)...and then hate myself for doing it. Someone be straight with me. Do I have a problem!? Do you feel like it's just a self lacking thing? This kind of eating for me usually happens at night...my day usually starts out pretty healthy and then seems to decrease as the day goes on.

The answer is in your own post, a large % of the western world has a problem with over eating, you are no different, we all tell ourselves we will start next week or one burger won't do any harm, it is no different to drinkers or smokers or drug users, only you can summon the willpower, you will get advice on here but at the end of the day it is you who decides what you put in your mouth
  • DestinyWardell
    DestinyWardell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing and now I try to find healthy alternatives to things I like .. When I'm craving chocolate I eat a fiber one bar .. I also try to eat a lot of healthy stuff during the day to keep myself full I snack on craisins , fruit, sunflower seeds, & things like that so that I'm less tempted to eat junk. What helped me get started is finding healthy foods that I actually enjoy eating
  • Marlena_Fisher
    Marlena_Fisher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did mean binging not purging. Sorry for alarming you! ????
  • KBRB1
    KBRB1 Posts: 4
    Options
    It's like this; you get sick of this cycle of self loathing. You decide to be hungry just for the moment. You find something to do to occupy yourself for the moment. You buy sugarless gum when you must chew. You mix a batch of green tea and sip it during the day. You make yourself go to bed early. You lie down and realize for that day you won. The next day you feel that every hunger pang is a mark of triumph. Your stomach shrinks, your craving cease, and you relish the taste of your delicious healthy foods. You pass by junk foods and give them the finger because they lost and they can't control you. You like yourself because you are winning the war.
  • swbabe33
    swbabe33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are you waiting too long to eat? Sometimes drinking a lot of water helps me some days, I use the non caloric flavored water. I don't eat junk food but I eat food that doesn't do me any good and certainly doesn't contribute to my feeling better about myself. Try not eating anything that you classify as junk for one day, then try for two days and you might be able to give it up entirely. Go for it. What do you have to lose but weight and overcoming something you don't like about yourself.
  • Marlena_Fisher
    Marlena_Fisher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's like this; you get sick of this cycle of self loathing. You decide to be hungry just for the moment. You find something to do to occupy yourself for the moment. You buy sugarless gum when you must chew. You mix a batch of green tea and sip it during the day. You make yourself go to bed early. You lie down and realize for that day you won. The next day you feel that every hunger pang is a mark of triumph. Your stomach shrinks, your craving cease, and you relish the taste of your delicious healthy foods. You pass by junk foods and give them the finger because they lost and they can't control you. You like yourself because you are winning the war.

I love this, thank you!
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

The answer is in your own post, a large % of the western world has a problem with over eating, you are no different, we all tell ourselves we will start next week or one burger won't do any harm, it is no different to drinkers or smokers or drug users, only you can summon the willpower, you will get advice on here but at the end of the day it is you who decides what you put in your mouth

I totally agree with this as well as the food "corporations" know the ingredients are addictive. It is a damn addiction, and like kicking any addiction it is not easy. I struggle daily with this. I even really enjoy good nutritious foods, love salads, oranges, nuts, ect. but there is always that calling for crappy food. I love it more than anything, why is that? I think the people who produce this kind of food know exactly why!! What I wouldn't do for a chili cheese burrito!

PS. my apologies, apparently I am of little help to you..
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You say you are purging. if you really want someone to be honest I will be. You are killing yourself. Get to a Dr and get help now before you destroy your esophagus and rot your teeth with the stomach acid from purging . This is a sure sign of serious emotional issues that must be addressed now by a professional not a bunch of people you don't know on this website. Your entire post is brimming with self loathing. You deserve much better. I don't know you but I am sure you are a great person. Something in your life has triggered this and I have my own personal feeling about what it is but won't say so here. Please get help ASAP.
  • rheeneek
    rheeneek Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I want to put this on my wall, or carry it around in my wallet.
  • rheeneek
    rheeneek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    But also, I do this often, and also feel awful. I think it really is just about finding out why we're bingeing and having enough willpower/distraction to get past it.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't care if you are binging and purging or just binging. It is a self esteem problem. Get professional help.
  • smand2000
    Options

Except it's not true, and will never last. Hunger eventually wins. Strict discipline eventually breaks down. And it is entirely unnecessary. Hunger pangs? Snap peas, baby carrots, broccoli, and two tablespoons of hummus dip (optional, of course). Or eat an apple. You can always chew on low cal healthy vegetables to curb appetite. No need to conquer hunger - because that battle will never be won. Just choose healthier foods most of the time ... problem solved.
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think this behavior, while problematic, is quite common. I have to struggle against it myself, and I know many of my friends do it or have to try really hard not to. I think it's so much harder to exercise self control in the evening when you are tired. Boredom doesn't help either. (I'm bored, but I'm too tired to do anything fun!) What has worked for me so far is exercising control at the grocery store (like another poster mentioned) and either keeping myself busy in the evening or just going to bed. Also, of course, I'm careful to meet my nutritional needs with healthful foods throughout the day and drink lots of water. I know that I tend to want to snack while I'm relaxing in front of the TV or reading in the evening, so I took up crocheting and knitting to occupy my hands. You can't eat and crochet/knit at the same time! So maybe there's a low-key hobby that interests you that will help you break a bad habit and start a better one. Good luck! You are SO not alone with this!
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is open, I peeked, and I see you haven't logged any food in several days. Logging helps me keep my focus on what things I'm eating, and if I can "afford" them on that day or maybe make a lower calorie choice.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are completely normal and are in good company! The best way to avoid this at night is not to have these foods available - if they are there they will be eaten. You can find a replacement habit that is at best "least objectionable" or heaven forbid enjoyable! Then as one person suggested there are hobbies / activities that you can take up. It can be hard to plan ahead but if you can then great - One of the snacks I use to go for was honeyed carrot - softened a little but crispy for instance. I use to loathe celery - but I actually enjoy its flavour now this is a good snack food with hommus or similar, there are other more things like prosciutto and figs or other nuts and fruits - if you start looking there are plenty of options to replace with "healthy" forms. I recommend that you do not deny yourself altogether - pick you favorite snack foods but I suggest taking them to the next quality level - if you love chocolate then get something in smaller portion packs that has an intense flavor and enjoy these in moderation. If it pastries etc... then don't get the dime a dozen - get one from a boutique bakery - one that you can eat slower and enjoy. ( I did try sugarless gum - this for me was a mistake as it did little for cravings for me and it become addictive for me ).
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    I have this problem too. It goes in cycles. When I'm eating good fresh healthy food, I feel great and lose weight and keep it off, and then eventually I end up at McDonald's and there's something seriously addictive about that stuff isn't there. Or eating pies or bought pizza. Hot, salt, fat... hmmm... Logging helps because the reality of what you're eating is staring you baldly in the face (know your enemy...) And I have pretty much realised that as long as I keep eating that stuff, that's how long I will crave it. If I don't eat it, I don't crave it. Until I eat it again. So the cycle breaker is to not eat that stuff at all. Let high quality home baking be my sweet treat; let a good cheesy home-cooked pizza be an occasional savoury treat. You'll know which foods are borderline addictive for you - it's the ones you feel guilty about eating. And if you stop eating them long enough, the cravings go away (like smoking). But like smoking, if you pick them up again, bang, the cravings are back. Luckily I do like healthy fresh food; otherwise I'd have a biiiiig problem!!! (I trained myself to genuinely prefer healthy fresh foods over a number of years).