Best way to lose belly fat?

Options
Hello all, I had my baby seven months ago and I am struggling with losing weight in my stomach area. It seems that I am slimming up and toning up everywhere else, but when it comes to that area, I have a lot of extra.

For ex, prior to preg, my measurements were
Chest: 36
Waist:25
Hips:37

Now, my measurements are:
Chest: 37
Waist:38
Hips:38

As you can see, I am so close to reaching my prepregnancy size in my other areas, just not my stomach. Also, just to mention, I had my son via C-section. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to tone your stomach down?

My workout regimen consists of jogging 2 miles five times per week, and doing one session of the T 25 program five times per week.

Is there anything else? Also, are there any all natural supplements that may help?
Thank you for your input!! I'm so close to my goal and my prepregnancy weight, I just can't seem to nip this in the area.

Replies

• asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will swing by and prob give you some better info, but I'd imagine workouts that target your midsection more would be beneficial.
  • HeatherIsRunning55
    Options
    Thank you, T25 focuses on the core so hope this helps.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Im sure a whole bunch of people are going to come on here and dispute this but the best way is to stop eating processed crap - seriously, just stop. Its so bad - causes you to bloat and retain water....and then cardio cardio cardio. You can't "spot treat" losing fat - you will lose fat all over so you just need to get on the treadmill and keep at it....of course core exercises will make your core strong and after a while (if you are diligent) will make your core appear tighter... but really... just cardio and not eating crap....
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Try to be patient. For a lot of women, this in one of the areas where fat accumulates more, so it takes longer to come off. It will also just take a little time after being pregnant. I gained over 50 lbs and I'm 4'11". I stayed a little chubby until I stopped breast feeding 18 months later.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, do HIIT cardio, and keep your macros in check. If you get your macros properly configured, you eat a flexible diet that works for your life. Processed foods aren't evil, they are just foods.
  • frank89419
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, do HIIT cardio, and keep your macros in check. If you get your macros properly configured, you eat a flexible diet that works for your life. Processed foods aren't evil, they are just foods.
    Processed foods aren't evil, they are just foods.

I am sorry, but you are far from the truth on that.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hobbes/processed-foods_b_3747105.html
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor (or you can try to check yourself) and see if you have diastasis recti. If that is the case, then only surgery can fix it. MANY women get it after childbirth and no diet or exercise in the world will solve it.

I have a very mild case of diastasis recti, but not enough that makes me want to go under the knife, so I'll have to be happy with being healthy.
  • nourishnotpunish
    Options
    Best way to lose belly fat = lower overall body fat. Which means eating healthy, ditching processed crap and alcohol, and hitting the gym/ pavement. Belly fat is stubborn so be patient. Spot reduction will not work unfortunately. I'd say get to cooking and running.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You'll lose the belly fat when your body is ready to lose it. C-sections can also mess with that area ive been told.

Here's a great thread for you to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You'll lose the belly fat when your body is ready to lose it. C-sections can also mess with that area ive been told.

Here's a great thread for you to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This and the other link that was posted are pretty much all you need to read.

Ab/core exercises will not get you where you want to go.
  • HeatherIsRunning55
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I will look into all of these suggestions. There are some really good ones here!
  • HeatherIsRunning55
    Options
    Check with your doctor (or you can try to check yourself) and see if you have diastasis recti. If that is the case, then only surgery can fix it. MANY women get it after childbirth and no diet or exercise in the world will solve it.

I have a very mild case of diastasis recti, but not enough that makes me want to go under the knife, so I'll have to be happy with being healthy.

Thank you, this is def a possibility. I've been at my weightloss for so long and am not seeing results in my stomach so I may have to check with my dr.
  • murelzgirl
    murelzgirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you do have diastasis recti, you can repair it without surgery.... https://www.diastasisrehab.com/ Keep at it, your belly will go down in time.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Processed foods aren't evil, they are just foods.

I am sorry, but you are far from the truth on that.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hobbes/processed-foods_b_3747105.html

Sorry but I'm not one to take the "Huffington Post" as a source of quality information. I stick to peer reviewed medical journals.
  • martinpaul272
    Options
    I've had this same problem, well I didn't have a baby haha You understand. Mainly it comes down to counting calories. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrassed to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.
  • vnvaldemira
    Options
    Funny thing that I saw your question today! I was just asked yesterday how I lost so much belly fat. I have been on my program for 7 months but for the first 3-4 months I was just counting calories and exercising. I lost a good amount of weight but maintained most of my belly fat. Then I did some research on how sugar affects you body's ability to shed belly fat and how calories from sugar usually end up in that region. I reduced my sugars by approximately 30% and since November 1st I have lost four additional inches of that area. If you are using MFP to log in your foods, then see how many grams of sugar you are currently using and gradually cut down. A really good source of reading material on this topic is the book "Sugar Busters" http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Sugar-Busters-Trim/dp/0345469585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393519675&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+buster+diet+book.
    You can do it! Let me know how this works for you. I can be reached on MFP as vnvaldemira.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Moderate Caloric Deficit + Work (Cardio and Compound Lifts) + Patience.

You can get there with 1 and 3, but probably would be happier with your results if you incorporate all 3.

The body burns fat from wherever it wants, no matter the exercise. You can do 10,000 planks a day, but if there's fat on other areas of your body that it wants for fuel....it'll take it. That's why isolated ab exercises aren't the most efficient exercises for burning abdominal fat. They're good for core strength, but have low calorie burns. Compound movements have higher caloric values, and still work the core as it is engaged (squats, dead lifts, etc...) You'll notice that many individuals on here do little to no isolated abdominal work.

If you want to cut processed food, go ahead....if not, that's fine as well. IMHO it's more about moderation than cutting food out of your diet. If you like it and want it, just make sure it fits your calorie goals.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Funny thing that I saw your question today! I was just asked yesterday how I lost so much belly fat. I have been on my program for 7 months but for the first 3-4 months I was just counting calories and exercising. I lost a good amount of weight but maintained most of my belly fat. Then I did some research on how sugar affects you body's ability to shed belly fat and how calories from sugar usually end up in that region. I reduced my sugars by approximately 30% and since November 1st I have lost four additional inches of that area. If you are using MFP to log in your foods, then see how many grams of sugar you are currently using and gradually cut down. A really good source of reading material on this topic is the book "Sugar Busters" http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Sugar-Busters-Trim/dp/0345469585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393519675&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+buster+diet+book.
    You can do it! Let me know how this works for you. I can be reached on MFP as vnvaldemira.

lulz