Do you stress eat?

Options

Replies

• sassabella
    Options
    I don't binge or anything like that but i definitely eat less healthily...like I'll seek for comfort foods rather than stick to healthier things (aka: chocolate is a big one for me)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    When I'm really stressed, I tend to not want to eat. It's when I'm bored, that I'll usually find myself snacking too much. I've never really binged, though.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sometimes especially in thr winter when its all grey n depressing. I try to keep it in check. Usually ill notice hey I had icecream and 9 oreos I think I should chill out..
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NO. More like when I am bored.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I stress eat. It is a crappy coping mechanism. To prevent going in the wrong direction I try and identify why Im stressed and eat accordingly.

I eat all my feelings.

Example: Raging angry at the spouse? Eat a lot of satisfyingly crunchy things like apples, or carrots.
    Get a quote on repairing my furnace at 5 figures? Eat cake. Then go for an hour long power walk to vent.

To prevent going overboard is just a matter of replacing bad food choices with better, and accepting the fact that you binged - get over it, do better. The problem with binge eating stress is people wind up compounding their existing issues because they feel guilty (stressed) about the way they oped with stress. Yay to vicious circles unless you have better control than I do.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stress/emotional eater. That's why this year has been such a struggle for me with keeping the weight off. I've gained about 10 to 15 pounds over the year because I eat instead of dealing with my problems. It's something I've done forever so it's hard habit to break. I just track everything, own up to it, and move on by trying to have a better day today.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I eat with emotions- big time! The worst thing is that whenever I'm upset, mad, angry, scared...anything negative, I want food instantly. Sometimes, I can get easily stressed because of people and the first thing I think about is toffee popcorn, which is my weakness. I can very easily eat a big bag to myself and feel better whilst eating it but after I eat it, I feel even worse.

this. once, many years ago, when my belly was all bloated, and somebody asked if i was pregnant [the turd], i got upset.. but where did i go right after, during my break? to mcds, to get a junior chicken.

habits CAN be broken =]

another thing ive learned lately that helps--stay full throughout the day. like really full [on healthy stuff]. even if you crave the garbage, you'll be too full to really go for it. =]

Thanks for this! It's really hard and it doesn't help when people tend to think it's something that isn't serious. It's not exactly easy to overcome but I've been doing really well. As I said, if I do get a quick crave, I'll go to the fruit section and get some fruit. Tends to take my mind off the binge.
  • lirirod
    lirirod Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When i'm stress i always eat. Is usually when I feel bad about my appearance that I pig out badly like that will help me get toned. People have told me to look for a hobby to do but when your stress that's the last thing I want to do, I find comfort in food. Now when I'm stress I just talk it out with someone.
    I guess you could do the same, you could find a solution to your stress by talking with someone or just clear your mind for a while and that would bring your appetite back to normal.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Yes, I tend to eat either fried stuff or chocolate or anything sweet. I just ate a cookie with frosting...
  • apercanis
    Options
    I lose my appetite when I'm stressed, my problem is overindulging when I'm bored or could be doing something more productive (like working out for those high calorie snacks).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No, stress make me lose my appetite. I remember when my ex tried to take custody of our daughter away from me, I was preggo at the time and gained a whopping 4 pounds the whole pregnancy.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I don't stress eat so much as I... stress energy drink. I KNOW. They're BAD. SO BAD. I'm BAD. BAD. BAD. BAD!* But the sweetness of the syrup and the kick of ALL TEH VITAMINZ (and other crap like Taurine, Guarana, Demon Ball Sweat, WHATEVER) that's probably cutting my life down a day per sip... it's so good... and I JUST. CAN'T. STOP. I NEED IT.

tumblr_le2prz8POO1qbs5d3o1_500.jpg

* More "BAD!" goes here.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: I am an emotional eater .. but point is what are we all doing to manage stress in our lives ?
    When i have my emotions in control ... seems to help with looking for that extra little bit of something .:flowerforyou:

When i go shopping .. i focus on what i can have and not want i cant have ... Its hard i know but it works for me .
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I stress starve. It's bad. Like under 200 calories a day when I'm really stressed :(
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Stress makes me both starve myself and binge eat. *who has an eating disorder? not me!*

I also smoke when I am under a lot of stress.

But I also workout a lot and sleep a lot so there is a mixed bag for you!
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I stress and sad eat. It's not pretty and I wish I could tell people how to "stop" but I don't know how to stop. I won't do this around people so one option is to get around people when you are feeling stressed or sad. (I live alone so this is sometimes hard) When things hit the "crapper" I can easily hit the local Fast Food joint and order 2 meals and then scarf those down and then look for more to eat all the while I am NOT even hungry.

How do I deal with this? Well for starters food logging is important, log the binge easier said than done I know. If possible hang out with a friend when you feel the "urge" maybe talking with a friend will help. Thing about all of the good things your doing to make yourself better and know that the binge eating your about to do isn't going to help you in any way.

Just my .02 cents
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I try and do something else so I don't binge, but I am not always successful. I've noticed that I usually binge if I stay up late like at 3 or 4 am so I try to go to bed at a decent time which stops me from binging. Usually during the day I can control myself.

Probably during the day I don't binge, because I am busy all day and at night i'm not doing much. Tired and stressed don't go well together.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I just love eating all the time..

In all honesty I usually lose my appetite when stressed. :(
  • Hermit_Girl
    Options
    I try and do something else so I don't binge, but I am not always successful. I've noticed that I usually binge if I stay up late like at 3 or 4 am so I try to go to bed at a decent time which stops me from binging. Usually during the day I can control myself.

Probably during the day I don't binge, because I am busy all day and at night i'm not doing much. Tired and stressed don't go well together.

That's pretty much what happens to me.
  • marinamur
    marinamur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater. When there is something stressful going on I feel like I need to cover it up with something good which is food. Just the other day I had a stress situation where I felt my appetite go from 0 to 100 in a second. But considering I finished all my calories for that day I held myself down. When I'm stressing I could keep eating for hours, doesn't matter if I'm not hungry any more, the food tastes good anyway.
    While I have been doing this diet I guess I have stress eaten sometimes, but it keeps me more in control. I might eat over my calories by eating some more but I don't stay in front of the fridge and continue eating. And some days I can restrain myself from that at all.