Need help with clean eating!

Options
2»

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am going to give clean eating another try and I am making my shopping list tonight. I want to go as clean as possible but probably not 100% ... like, I can't make my own condiments and seasonings and stuff like that. I'm still going to use salad dressing, low sodium taco seasoning, etc... I'm just wanting to avoid boxed food, frozen food and other packaged foods that are full of crap! And I'm going to add more fruits, veggies and lean meats.

So gimme some ideas! I know there are a lot of you on here that eat clean so what is your typical shopping list? What are your favorite clean meals and recipes? And any other tips...?

I actually find making things like taco seasoning, salad dressing, tartar sauce, and things like that is pretty easy. For taco seasoning, you can mix some paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Use 1-2 tsp of each and you'll have some that you can store for a while. Some basalmic vinegar ad olive oil, plus some seasonings according to your taste makes a good dressing, or you can do a ranch with yogurt, mayonnaise, and various spices (celery seed, dill weed, etc.) to taste as well. Allrecipes.com has lots of good, easy recipes for condiments as well.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I always recommend the book and movie Forks Over knives. The book is full of recipes for healthy eating.
    You're welcome to friend me if you like to see how I eat.

I think I watched it on Netflix! But it's been quite a while so I might have to watch it again :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - your ticker says that you have lost 33 pounds already which is good progress. I am curious as to the reasoning behind your change to "clean eating'?

You also mentioned that you are trying this "again", did you try before and it not worked?

Thank you but I had originally lost 107 and gained A LOT back during and after my last pregnancy :(
    So now I am starting over and trying to get back on track. I lost the weight by eating what I wanted (except sweets and fast food), but in moderation.
    Then I decided I wanted to stop eating processed food and gave clean eating a try about almost a year ago and I only lasted a week. So now I want to give it another try! I know I can lose weight by JUST counting calories and still eating processed foods... but I know it's not good for me so I'd like to start changing WHAT I'm eating instead of just how much :)

Ok…

I will just say that I do not eat clean and my cholesterol and other blood work always comes back just about perfect…

I think you might have more success with following the 80/20 rule, 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want = cookies, ice cream, pizza, etc. In my opinion, people get into trouble when they start labeling food "bad", "junk", etc, and then restricting said foods, which leads to cravings and then binging…

Food is not inherently "bad" or "good" it is just an energy source…

Whichever path you choose, good luck to you ...
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    OP you may want to view this link:

http://media.cleaneating.com.s3.amazonaws.com/PDFS/ShoppingLists/CE19ShoppingListsWeek1.pdf

good luck; PS--week 2 is right beside it on the thread. Enjoy.

Thanks!
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    OP - your ticker says that you have lost 33 pounds already which is good progress. I am curious as to the reasoning behind your change to "clean eating'?

You also mentioned that you are trying this "again", did you try before and it not worked?

Thank you but I had originally lost 107 and gained A LOT back during and after my last pregnancy :(
    So now I am starting over and trying to get back on track. I lost the weight by eating what I wanted (except sweets and fast food), but in moderation.
    Then I decided I wanted to stop eating processed food and gave clean eating a try about almost a year ago and I only lasted a week. So now I want to give it another try! I know I can lose weight by JUST counting calories and still eating processed foods... but I know it's not good for me so I'd like to start changing WHAT I'm eating instead of just how much :)

Ok…

I will just say that I do not eat clean and my cholesterol and other blood work always comes back just about perfect…

I think you might have more success with following the 80/20 rule, 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want = cookies, ice cream, pizza, etc. In my opinion, people get into trouble when they start labeling food "bad", "junk", etc, and then restricting said foods, which leads to cravings and then binging…

Thank you :)
  • Brandie43
    Brandie43 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound stupid but how do you ballance/figgure out 20/80% diet?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Ok…

I would second this.
    This is what I do.