Getting discouraged. I need some opinions please :(

Options
I'm 20, I weigh 215lbs, 5'4'' tall. I started my journey eating 1200 calories a day with no exercise. A week ago, I started doing 30 mins of cardio a day. My heart rate monitor said I burn between 200-300 calories each workout. Three days after I began working out, I felt a little weak, after listening to recommendations from others to eat back the calories i burned, I increased my intake to 1400-1500. I weighed in at 214 the day I increased my calorie intake. Now a week later, I weigh 215lbs and the scale has only steadily increased by .2/.3lb increments since I added in the extra 200-300 calories. I was losing 1-2lbs a week before the changes. I thought maybe I lost inches instead of pounds, but that's not the case either. I measure and weigh everything i eat, even fruits and vegetables. I'm not eating junk food. I don't understand how it is possible to have more success without exercise. I'm eating back what I burn with the workouts and all, so why is it making such a difference. Is this my plateau or is this just a normal change that happens when you start working out and increasing calorie intake? Either way, I need advice/guidance :(

Replies

• KristenKHAOS
    Options
    I also drink lots of water during the day and watch my sodium intake.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising at all, you'll be retaining some water weight as your body adjusts. Keep at it and it'll soon reverse.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You're doing everything correctly, except being patient.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising at all, you'll be retaining some water weight as your body adjusts. Keep at it and it'll soon reverse.
    this
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    bingo.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's SOOO hard to be patient, but I really think that's what you'll need to do here. Give it another two weeks. And try to make sure you're eating back your exercise calories with good food (if you're not already).

Hang in there!!! :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I have always had the same problem. It takes me about 6 weeks to see results from exercise. I always FEEL better with exercise, even if the scale says 5 pounds higher. Hang in there! <3
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options

this ^

Try doing what you're doing, but only weighing yourself once a week, at the same time and in the same circumstances. (most people do first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom). Give it at least 3-4 weeks before you decide if something is working or not.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

this ^

Try doing what you're doing, but only weighing yourself once a week, at the same time and in the same circumstances. (most people do first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom). Give it at least 3-4 weeks before you decide if something is working or not.

This is great advice. Weight can fluctuate 2-3 lbs on any given day for many different reasons. If you weigh in once a week, it helps to smooth out the bumps.
  • jspanovt
    Options
    How is your protein intake? I had been exercising a ton- for 2 months- 5 days a week- burning at least 500 calories per workout, eating healthy, and not loosing anything. After logging my food here I realized that I was getting less than half of the protein I need AND not eating back enough calories. I just started a few days ago, so I'm not positive this is the problem for me. Just thought I would mention it in case it could help you!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are counting correctly? Do you use a scale? Can you open your diary?