Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• Bigora
    Bigora Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Humans are designed for the consumption of HUMAN breastmilk, which the WHO recommends for two years and beyond. There's a percentage of adults (though I currently can't remember how high the percentage) who have stopped producing the necessary enzymes to properly digest milk. This is where the argument comes in that adult humans aren't designed to consume milk. While not all adults have this problem, I still (personally) feel that cows milk is for baby cows and not for adult humans. It's mostly a matter of opinion, I'm sure there is no "right" answer on this topic.

Just took my 9 year old daughter of normal milk and she lost 2 inches of her belly within a week and dropped 6 pounds in the 2 month after that . Something else I have noticed is, that her ability to concentrate has improved quite a lot. So something was going on....

Just happy we figured it out.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    don't eat after 8pm, fruit is bad for you because there's sugar in it, and eggs are bad because they contain a little cholesterol! what?!

Carrots help you see in the dark.
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options

"gorillas get enough protein from eating only vegetable foods" - a) gorillas have the smallest brain size compared to body size of all the great apes and b) gorillas eat insects, which is animal protein. There are no vegetarian great apes, they're all omnivores. If our ancestors hadn't eaten animal products, we wouldn't be here having this conversation, we'd be living in trees eating fruit and leaves all day long in order to get enough energy to feed our very tiny brains. I have nothing against the vegan diet.... just don't try to claim that's what we evolved for!!!

Actually... what we need for proper brain delevelopment is fat, not protein. So eating meat has little to do with that. The human brain does most of its growth within the first few years, while on HUMAN breast milk, which is specialized in a way to promote optimal brain growth. Cows milk is for calfs, it contains more calcium and protein because calfs are supposed to grow fast and get mass, brain development is secondary.

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaigns/whitelies/wlreport05.shtml
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    99% of posts in the food and nutrition subforum. Where to start?

As true now as it was 1 year ago....
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is a myth (I believe they've done studies).

Eating the pips of apples will make a tree grow out of your head!!! (I still spit them out).

Well apple seeds to contain cyanide, but it is all good if you swallow them whole as apparently the shell of the seed protects you. Don't chew them though.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is a myth (I believe they've done studies).

Eating the pips of apples will make a tree grow out of your head!!! (I still spit them out).

Well apple seeds to contain cyanide, but it is all good if you swallow them whole as apparently the shell of the seed protects you. Don't chew them though.

Pretty sure you'd have to chew/grind over 100 seeds to get anywhere near a lethal dose.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    That a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. That bananas are bad for you; coffee is bad for you; milk is bad for you; eggs are bad for you; potatoes are bad for you; meat is bad for you; that grapefruit burns fat; that tofu tastes good; that a calorie is just a calorie; that a calorie is NOT just a calorie.....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    basically anything uttered by a person who just finished reading Grain Brain or Wheat Belly.

I always like to check back in 1 year and see how they have turned into a super healthy & active size 2 with perfect skin, happy at all times, and much more successful than before they ate that evil grain, wheat, gluten, etc.

Hasn't happened yet...I'll keep checking back...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    So many, but probably the ones that go along the lines of: -

"its so unfair. Why cant I be like one of those naturally skinny people. I cant lose weight but my friend who eats 10 McDonalds a day looks like a supermodel".

I also like the myth about healthy food being more expensive than junk.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.
    You may have misheard that one. Muscle weighs more than fat by volume.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Drink water infused with cucumbers and lemon, and you will magically cleanse your system and drop pounds....I wish....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You must drink at least 8 glasses of water.:smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I also like the myth about healthy food being more expensive than junk.

Definitely this too.

I mostly hear this from mom friends who decided to try healthy eating on January 1st and went to the trendy natural foods market and stocked up on grass fed beef, free range & organic everything, gluten-free boutique cupcakes, along with fad vitamins and supplements. "I can't afford to eat like you, I have kids to feed", they say to my husband and I.

Granted, we don't have children...but we shop at Aldi and the Asian supermarket, spending around $100-150 per month on our food.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    don't eat after 8pm, fruit is bad for you because there's sugar in it, and eggs are bad because they contain a little cholesterol! what?!

Carrots help you see in the dark.

Which is super useful if you are trying to avoid fruits and eggs when it is dark out.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Orangutans must be systematically killed in order to acquire palm oil.full-of-crap.gif
    I'm no botanist but I've never heard of any plant that requires the death of any animal life form in order to be harvested. Some orangutans are being killed while it is being gathered and that is sad beyond belief but it certainly isn't a requirement.
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't have any calories :noway:
    :laugh:

Even better - broken cookies don't have any calories. :laugh:
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't have any calories :noway:
    :laugh:

Even better - broken cookies don't have any calories. :laugh:

Biscuits are cookies in places like England. That's how we mess with my friend's English husband. He gets grossed out every time we talk about biscuits and gravy. :laugh:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    if you don't spit out your watermelon seeds, one will grow in your belly
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is healthier for you. Check the nutrition guide. I've never heard of someone losing weight, because they switched from regular soda to diet.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast to 'fire up' your metabolism.