Getting enough carbs on special diet (paleo,GF,low FODMAP)

Options
uncbluci
uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
I'm trying the low FODMAP diet to see if I can get my digestive problems under control (recommended by my doctor). The first two weeks is total FODMAP elimination, then gradually adding food groups one at a time. If you don't know what the low FODMAP diet is, it is similar to paleo (with the exception of certain fruits and veggies). Gluten free, dairy free, no legumes and certain nuts, plus more. Which has left me with very limited options. It hasn't been too difficult because I've already been eating clean for months and I'm lactose intolerant so I'm used eating dairy free.

My problem is that my workouts are suffering, probably because I've been majorly cutting carbs as an inadvertent consequence of the low FODMAP diet. I don't WANT to cut carbs but I'm running out of ideas other than rice (feel like i'm overdosing on rice and rice products), gluten free oats, and white potatoes which I don't really want to have to start eating (no sweet potatoes on the diet, sadly). Any suggestions on gluten free/fodmap free carb sources? Particularly for breakfast and dessert, my two favorite meals :p

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Can you have quinoa? There's gluten free bread, and I've seen gluten free frozen waffles at Whole Foods. Can you at more fruits and more carb heavy veggies like peas or corn?
  • Dbernier1981
    Dbernier1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is not going to help in any way but I have felt the same way! I feel so sluggish in workouts when in the past I had pep. I am paleo and low fodmaps and trying to find the right adjustments.
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey, me too... I have IBSc and am gluten intolerant, it has been suggested that I eat low fodmap but that alone doesnt seem to be enough. I would love to try paleo, but I am exercised obsessed and dont want to compromise my workouts?
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Can you have quinoa? There's gluten free bread, and I've seen gluten free frozen waffles at Whole Foods. Can you at more fruits and more carb heavy veggies like peas or corn?

Peas are Legumes, and Corn and Quinoa are Grain (and corn, usually most people can't digest it), Please don't buy gluten free frozen waffles.... Look at the label this is just a mess of chemicals and additives.

OP: Eat lots of leafy veggies and try to find fruits that you can eat for your carbs... Berries seem to be a good source for carbs and once you've been on lower carb your body will learn to burn fats for energy too.

Here's the list of FODMAP recommended fruits:

SUITABLE FRUITS:
    Banana
    Blueberries – buy organic
    Boysenberry – buy organic
    Cantaloupe
    Star fruit
    Cranberry – buy organic
    Durian
    Grapes – buy organic
    Grapefruit
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi
    Lemon
    Lime
    Mandarin
    Orange
    Passion fruit
    Paw paw
    Pineapple
    Raspberry – buy organic
    Rhubarb
    Strawberry – buy organic
    Tangelo
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can get all sorts of stuff gluten free now - bread and pasta for example.

why dont you want to eat potatoes?
  • brucedelaney
    Options
    you can get all sorts of stuff gluten free now - bread and pasta for example.

Not a good idea really....

Many "gluten-free" products are made with refined, unenriched grains and starches, which contain plenty of calories but very few vitamins or minerals. Basically, it's Gluten-Free Junk food.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed and not a grain, but I have no idea where it belongs on a fodmap list. This is the first I've heard of fodmap. Those of you who are eating rice should take a look at brown rice v white rice. Brown rice has all sorts of good fiber, but white rice is very high on the glycemic index and basically turns to sugar in your system. Our diet is not precisely anything on your list, but is closest to paleo. I'm lactose intolerant and DH is gluten free. People in those camps talk about making whipped cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Sounds good to me. Good luck with your diet and your health.:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hey, me too... I have IBSc and am gluten intolerant, it has been suggested that I eat low fodmap but that alone doesnt seem to be enough. I would love to try paleo, but I am exercised obsessed and dont want to compromise my workouts?

How would paleo compromise a work out? That seems like an unlikely outcome. Paleolithic humans did a lot of exercising to keep away from predators and go about life.
  • brucedelaney
    Options

How would paleo compromise a work out? That seems like an unlikely outcome. Paleolithic humans did a lot of exercising to keep away from predators and go about life.

It doesn't if you eat enough fruits and veggies... You certainly don't require un-refined grains and High Glycemic carbs to have enough energy for a workout.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

It might be that you aren't getting enough carbs through fruits/veggies....that being said, as an athlete and workout nut, I've found that adding starches like sweet potatoes and white rice to great benefit, especially the day or two before a game or heavy workout.
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options
    I'm a bit on the same boat. I've recently started on the FODMAP/paleo diet.

Been doing eggs, homemade rice milk (basmati), white popcorn, celery, spinach, baby spinach/kale/chard mix, radish, tangerines, and chicken.

Tried navel orange and kiwi today and notice more bloating than usual. /:

I'm trying to be more rigorous with my logging. I'm curious if I just have a very low sugar tolerance that I must not surpass at once. I also had my first cup of bone broth, which is supposed to be good for the gut.

I've been following this for new items to try. http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/Paleo-FODMAP-food-list.pdf
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the low FODMAP diet to see if I can get my digestive problems under control (recommended by my doctor). The first two weeks is total FODMAP elimination, then gradually adding food groups one at a time. If you don't know what the low FODMAP diet is, it is similar to paleo (with the exception of certain fruits and veggies). Gluten free, dairy free, no legumes and certain nuts, plus more. Which has left me with very limited options. It hasn't been too difficult because I've already been eating clean for months and I'm lactose intolerant so I'm used eating dairy free.

My problem is that my workouts are suffering, probably because I've been majorly cutting carbs as an inadvertent consequence of the low FODMAP diet. I don't WANT to cut carbs but I'm running out of ideas other than rice (feel like i'm overdosing on rice and rice products), gluten free oats, and white potatoes which I don't really want to have to start eating (no sweet potatoes on the diet, sadly). Any suggestions on gluten free/fodmap free carb sources? Particularly for breakfast and dessert, my two favorite meals :p

Hi OP,

Firstly I would ask, how long have you been cutting back on the carbs (when switching over to a low carb diets the transition period can be a couple of weeks - carb flu, this is only as your body adapts).

Also are your workouts aerobic or anaerobic. If your doing aerobic at less than 75% effort you should be able to do these without additional carbing.

If your doing anaerobic then you may need to eat additional carbs (I normally do on my high output workout days).

I personally like sweet potatoes and carrots (although for my carrots I cook them in organic butter - very tasty).

Good luck with whatever you end up doing - hope your sort the digestive problem out.