What Not to Say to Runners

Options

Replies

• ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't like running... but I admire those who do and can. To all of y'all... YOU GO!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    And stop calling my triathlons a "marathon". It's not the same thing!!!
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Every race is a marathon to those who don't know the difference. I'm sure friends and family think I'm running one of those 5k marathons at the beginning of March... and a 10k marathon in November...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Running is an addiction for me many people dont understand why I love it so much. Its an adrenaline/ relaxing addiction. You either love it or hate it there's no in between
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have heard several of these comments over the years. The best one that I heard was {not on this list} your uterus is going to fall out if you keep on running. LOL.

Oh gosh! I remember reading at the time of the summer Olympics that women in some countries are still prohibited from sports for this very reason. I was shocked that people could have so little knowledge of the female body. Guess those myths are more prevalent than I thought.

I do mostly sprint work, the occasional 5k and a former co-worker insisted that you have to run marathons to really sweat and lose weight so she suggested I run in a several layers to sweat out more fat. I got a chuckle.

Believe it or not, the whole "your uterus will fall out" was used as justification to keep women out of (at least) the Boston Marathon for quite some time... http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/The-Myth-of-the-Falling-Uterus.html
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    "I only run when someone is chasing me" :noway:

Yup. I've gotten that one. And yes my mom thinks any race is a marathon. But she's so proud when she tells her friends I'm running another marathon (5k) :laugh:
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have heard several of these comments over the years. The best one that I heard was {not on this list} your uterus is going to fall out if you keep on running. LOL.
    OMG! I wish! would save me a lot of pain and annoyance

hahahahaha:laugh:
  • NancieFeatherston
    NancieFeatherston Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    K... not a runner! Amazed people would say any of those things, laughed about the Run Forrest Run comment...because I actually think that every time I see a runner! I never have understood running if you could walk, pretty new to walking at this point, but I do get the pride a runner can have in their accomplishments in getting quicker at it. I get a sense of pride walking quicker than I did. Lots of respect to runners from me... oh I usually ask 'what is your favorite running shoe?' Runners know shoes.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Talking with my mom with alzheimers: "Mom, I'm racing a triathlon this weekend." "Oh, now I'm worried. Can your legs handle it?" "Yes mom, it's a triathlon. I'll be swimming and biking, too." "Wait, do they allow you to bike? Won't they disqualify you? I thought you were only allowed to run."

Another Mom conversation: "I'm running a marathon next month, Mom. I'm excited, but I'm also worried. It'll be tough" "Don't be worried. You can always skip it." "Well no Mom, not really. If I skip it then I lose all that money I spent signing up for it and training for it." Her response: "Well, that doesn't make much sense. t don't see why they can't let you run it another day."

Another Mom comment: "So how many days do you have to run your marathon?"

My favorite I read on this very website: Human beings were not designed to run long distances. It's why so many runners have so many injuries.

Also, I get irritated with all these "marathon"s. Star trek marathon. Toyota car weekend marathon. Cookie sale marathon. Everything's a freaking "marathon". Why not let marathons be marathons, and find another way to say long drawn out something or other? *steps down off high horse*
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    a marathon isnt 26.2 miles

its 42.2 km ;)
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    actually 42k 195mtrs

33524370.png
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    a marathon isnt 26.2 miles

its 42.2 km ;)

Yes...because your way of measuring is the ONLY WAY...No other way could possibly be valid....*feeds troll*
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    K... not a runner! Amazed people would say any of those things, laughed about the Run Forrest Run comment...because I actually think that every time I see a runner! I never have understood running if you could walk, pretty new to walking at this point, but I do get the pride a runner can have in their accomplishments in getting quicker at it. I get a sense of pride walking quicker than I did. Lots of respect to runners from me... oh I usually ask 'what is your favorite running shoe?' Runners know shoes.

LOL. How do you not get bored at the long-winded answer?

Everybody hates running until they love running. It's less about getting there than having an excuse to run - kind of like a kid with their first drivers license.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get from my family all the time about how slow I am. It makes me feel self-conscious but I am trying not to let it keep me from running.
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get "oh, that's just jogging". And the classic "Just how long is a marathon anyway?"
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THESE!
  • Cobia_
    Options
    Maybe this belongs here.

1544445_10152152788842719_1818417062_n.jpg
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    All you runners are amazing! I admire your dedication and determination.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!

I'm a novice runner but I'm addicted to it and I love it! I've heard a lot of these. Worst was "You are going to run 3 MILES?? You can't even run for 3 minutes!!"

No *kitten*, sherlock, the point is to build up to it!
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    'Running's easy, when you feel like you're too tired and want to stop, just keep going.'