When could you tell you'd lost weight?

Options
Tee_geee
Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
Ive had several different people tell me that I look like Ive lost weight, I accept the compliment but then I look at myself and see NO change? for those of you who've had significant weight loss...how long did it take you before YOU realized it? I think I could lose 50 pounds and still feel the same ;(

Replies

• funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Be positive!!! Your friends see the difference; you should too!! We've all got a long way to go (smile)!!!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Your clothes will definitely start to get looser! For me that's the best feeling!

Also face pictures! Take some selfies :)

Hang in there!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    a negative attitude will keep you from seeing the weight loss.

I can notice my loss in the first week. is it a huge difference? no but i still see the small changes, my stomach doesn't hang out so much, the fat rolls on my back are slightly smaller, etc.

Take pictures every so often, they help us see what we forget to see in the mirror.
  • hmseals77
    hmseals77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I could actually tell within the first week with my face. My stomach didn't feel as bloated either and after three weeks a pair of my pants don't feel as tight. No one has noticed yet except for my husband, but that is okay. I feel so much better! Hang in there! You are doing great and will continue to succeed!
  • Tee_geee
    Options
    I going to take some pictures tonight!! And Im also going to try to stay positive!! Im only 7 pounds from reaching my first goal...Hopefully Ill be able to tell by the time I reach it!
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at some pictures today and looking at those I can see it. Looking in the mirror I still just see the same fat guy. I really think another 25lbs and I will see it in myself.
  • dyun27
    dyun27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a belt to help me see/feel the difference (aside from the scale). If I start to feel comfortable when I use the next belt hole over, I know for a fact that something good is happening. You look at yourself every day I'm sure, but your friends might see you days or weeks later. They will more easily spot the difference than you will. Also, if there's one thing I've learned over years of dieting (going up and down) it's that as you're losing weight you'll definitely get smaller, but until the fat is nearly gone to a healthy (or fit) level, your tummy section will still look a little bit on the 'fluffy' side, just smaller. Even skinny people have this 'fluffiness' until they tone their body with regular exercise. Stay positive, use different methods to measure your success (like measuring your waist and weighing yourself) and don't give what you see in the mirror too much weight (no pun intended). ;)
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Some days I see it and some days I don't. I know that I am buying smaller clothes at the store and that my clothes from last year don't work anymore so I just keep the faith. I am down 71 pounds and I do not consider my attitude negative at all.....but I still don't always see the loss in myself. That is not unusual at all and I don't consider it bad. Some things just take time. :-)
  • Tee_geee
    Options
    I use a belt to help me see/feel the difference (aside from the scale). If I start to feel comfortable when I use the next belt hole over, I know for a fact that something good is happening. You look at yourself every day I'm sure, but your friends might see you days or weeks later. They will more easily spot the difference than you will. Also, if there's one thing I've learned over years of dieting (going up and down) it's that as you're losing weight you'll definitely get smaller, but until the fat is nearly gone to a healthy (or fit) level, your tummy section will still look a little bit on the 'fluffy' side, just smaller. Even skinny people have this 'fluffiness' until they tone their body with regular exercise. Stay positive, use different methods to measure your success (like measuring your waist and weighing yourself) and don't give what you see in the mirror too much weight (no pun intended). ;)

Using the belt is a really good idea!!! I'm gonna start that tomorrow!
  • candylandicous
    Options
    I've been wondering the same! Though I understand I should wait a month or more to see the results. I just started my weight loss journey last Friday and have been exercising on treadmill and lifting weights for a good hour daily which is about 3 miles daily and maybe 500-600 calories =). My diet has also changed and I am trying my best to eat at least 1500 calories as recommended according to my TDEE and - 20% of the TDEE. The scale went up instead of down (terrified I was) but I guess I will have to be patient to see results as I haven't noticed any inches lost since my clothes fit same as always! but kudos to u and hope I see results soon too!
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ive had several different people tell me that I look like Ive lost weight, I accept the compliment but then I look at myself and see NO change? for those of you who've had significant weight loss...how long did it take you before YOU realized it? I think I could lose 50 pounds and still feel the same ;(

Your clothes won't lie to you. When they feel looser, especially when they start looking "too big" then you'll KNOW you're making progress. Keep at it, log your food, stick to your plan, and it will come.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    changes in the notches on my belt.
  • jmorale6
    jmorale6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it took me about 45 lbs before i could definitely see it without a doubt. yes, my clothes were looser and i went down some sizes. for some reason, i couldn't fully see it. i noticed my collar bones this past week and it was a shocker. it was as if i went from 184 to 139 overnight (visually speaking). it's strange and i'm still not used to it. weight loss is not just physical, but also psychological/emotional. good luck with your journey!
  • princesslucylou86
    Options
    Ive lost quite a bit and still dont see a difference. 27lb and i still cant see anything. people tell me all the time and like you accept the compliment. i took a picture of myself to see the difference...and i still dont! the pics are on my profile. Im not sure if im struggling with body image or if as a larger person its harder to tell?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    For me? I noticed within myself at about 20 lbs. Others really started to notice when I hit the 40lb mark. And at 41lbs I got comments daily for months as I kept loosing. Stick with it!! Slow and steady!
  • After 20pounds from 200 to 180. My clothes fit loose. I told coworkers and they said they couldn't notice it. Now after losing 70 pounds, they say wow most amazing weight loss they ever saw in person.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Even though the scales, measuring tape, friends and my clothes were telling me I was loosing weight, it took me to about the 30 pound mark for me to look in the mirror and see any difference (started 221 pounds).

Edited: and it just happened overnight! One day I couldn't see it, the next day there I was.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I personally can't see much of a change on myself especially without clothes on but I think thats years of not liking my self taking a toll on me.
    Other people told me before I could recognise it but I know in the past with fad diets I had done I was certain I had lost weight but no one else noticed even when I asked them they would say no.. maybe thats the difference with doing it properly.
    I only really notice now when I try on clothes and they are too big.
    I think we are all our worst enemies and its nice to receive a compliment from other's who are noticing :)
    Maybe you should take some pictures of yourself now and find a before photo?

Hannah
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A close friend of mine noticed after I'd lost 11lbs. I couldn't see a difference until about 30lbs. I did, however feel a difference at about 15lbs, when I could exercise for longer. At the beginning, I focused mostly on whether my clothes could see a difference, as mirrors and scales can sometimes be deceptive.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I started around 115kg, I couldn't notice any weight loss at all. My partner kept saying he could notice it in my face and around my belly but I couldn't see it until I looked at photos of myself when I was around 103kg and I could see the difference in my face.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!