"Appropriate"exercises at the gym ?

Options
kelsully
kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
I am fortunate that I have a number of fitness facilities available to me as I have a gym membership with multiple locations and I teach at a high school with a well equipped fitness room. I typically bust my butt no matter where I work out. I have no shame in making ugly faces or sweat dripping off my ears however when I am in the school fitness room, when the high school boys are there, I might do weighted lunges but I often won't do straight legged dead lift because I have to stick my rump in the air.

Last night I was in the LA Fitness as it was the gym in the middle of the kids' practices and I was feeling rather anonymous and did my dead lifts and some ab work that I would not normally do in front of the high school kids and lo and behold I ran in to 6 different students...One alerted me to the sweat dripping from my nose...

What exercises will you only do in certain circumstances (no one watching)?????

Replies

• arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I have no shame!!! I do what I want when I want! Done, next question...
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Should have just told them that's how a real person works out.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Should have just told them that's how a real person works out.

^^LOL...I did...something along the lines of

"this is sweat, it is produced when one kicks *kitten*. You do not seem to be sweating buddy"

then we throw our heads back and giggle. I have fun with my students I just don't want to stick my butt in their faces.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why would i let someone else watching me dictate what kind of work out i'll do?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I try to do as many crazy exercises as I can. As long as I don't look like I'm prancersizing on the treadmill, I'm okay.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so if I want to bust a move between sets, than I bust a move. Still burning calories. Not so sure I could be so uninhibited if I were at a gym.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to the point where I don't care. If some creepy guys want to stare at my butt when I squat...I just watch them watching me in the mirror...until they catch me watching them...they USUALLY look away when this happens.

If I was embarrassed by sweat, I wouldn't be able to go out in public. I sweat like a man.
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'll never use a cross-trainer, arms and legs as long as mine were not meant to be used this way, i'm like a spider ice skating...

In fact why would anyone use it when you could run instead?
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There is only one inappropriate exercise that I wouldn't do at the gym.
  • methodman78
    Options

burpees?
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a man.

^^^^^Me too.

I just do what I have to do.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    why would i let someone else watching me dictate what kind of work out i'll do?

This. The very premise of letting someone who might be watching my workout dictate anything is ludicrous to me.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options

burpees?

Oops forgot to use my quotation marks on exercise.
  • methodman78
    Options

burpees?

nah I understood, I was being mildly funny
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't care who is looking at me. The only time I have ever felt awkward is the high school boys staring while I was jump roping. And while no one was staring, I always feel foolish doing glute bridges.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

burpees?

Pffft, don't act like we haven't "exercised" in the gym before.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so if I want to bust a move between sets, than I bust a move. Still burning calories. Not so sure I could be so uninhibited if I were at a gym.

This. Glad I'm not the only one....although when my friends drag me to their gyms I frequently get the do not "drop it to the floor *kitten* shaking like momma ain't watching mmmmmkay" warning. Especially in front of whoever they deem as "hot guy".
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    All excerises are appropriate in a gym, including the obvious one... it's exactly the same as home - I just sit around watching everyone else doing it better than me, making more noise and having more fun.

But prone jacknives on a swiss ball, I do them at home. I have no problems waving my *kitten* about or doing sit ups holding a weight (holy crap so unflattering), I draw the line at faceplanting the floor after 5 of them in front of a roomfull of people.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    arnold-schwarzenegger-donkey-calf-raise.jpg
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    arnold-schwarzenegger-donkey-calf-raise.jpg

Appropriate. And also FIT.