Not the normal banana question

Options
No, I'm not going to ask whether you should eat bananas for weight loss because of the ads on the computer. No, my question is more personal. When I eat bananas, I get 'clogged up', which is really annoying because I used to love eating bananas, my favourite meal growing up was banana sandwiches. But now I'm scared to eat even a slice or so of bananas due to having had digestive system issues for the past x amount of years.

Am I the only one that bananas affects this way?

Replies

• funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump for answers?
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've heard other people say this. Just make sure you eat plenty of fiber to keep things moving and lots of water.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've heard that unripe bananas can cause constipation, while slightly over-ripe bananas have more of an opposite/laxative effect. Do you generally eat the banana when its still a little green?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Drink more coffee
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your bananas with some brown spots on them. Our body has trouble digesting bananas that are still a bit green. I am always prone to constipation. I need to drink a crazy amount of water and green tea (coffee used to help but gives me heartburn now) and I also eat dried prunes and put flaxseed on my cereal sometimes. Also cabbage and beans help!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    They don't constipate me but I will try to eat them before a run to avoid "runners trots". Usually more ripe bananas don't have this affect, it's more the unripe ones that cause constipation. I personally like them more unripe but my system is used to them or not that sensitive so they don't bother me.

I would think it would be best for you to just avoid them - and any other consitpating foods - since you have digestive issues. And/or talk to your doc about it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Many people are in the same boat. My doctor told me to eat bananas when I had the flu and diarrhea. As stated above make sure you are eating enough fiber and drinking enough water. Exercise helps too.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I've heard that unripe bananas can cause constipation, while slightly over-ripe bananas have more of an opposite/laxative effect. Do you generally eat the banana when its still a little green?

^^This is what I've always heard too.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, you may have become allergic to them. My dad used to love avocados, and ate guacamole all the time as a kid. But somewhere down the line he became allergic to them. They cause his throat to swell and close up.

He also was allergic to bananas as well, said they always gave him a stomach ache. But then, somehow he stopped being allergic to them. Bodies are cray cray.
  • funkygas
    Options
    Thanks for your answers!

For years I would pump myself full of high-fibre cereal so I would have movement in the bathroom. Last year I was diagnosed as being gluten intolerant and since I cut out the gluten, I have had more success on a regular basis on the toilet. However, I'm still reluctant to try having bananas again. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, I have chia seeds on my breakfast yoghurt and drink heaps and heaps of water every day.

I wasn't aware that the over-ripe bananas have a laxative effect - I might try one of them and see how I go!

Thanks again!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Drink more coffee

haha..that was my immediate thought!! Nothing like coffee to move things along. Actually tea works pretty well for that too!
  • funkygas
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't stand the taste or smell of coffee, so that's not an option. I do drink green tea, once a day, and some herbal teas sometimes. I just want to be able to make lots of cake and cookie recipes that have bananas in them, and not be scared of it clogging me up!