What Not to Say to Runners

Options

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    •"I did a marathon once -- it was one of the 5K ones."

This drives me totally nuts. A former coworker used to talk about how he was training for a "marathon". I really never paid attention to what he was talking about until he came in one Monday and was like "I ran that marathon this weekend, finished in 29 minutes". *facepalm*. I don't even correct people anymore because they still seem to think they're right.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    hash_house_harriers_basic_tshirt-rde53a330b85244fba1f95062dcf03dbf_804gy_512.jpg
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My favorites so far are... "my orthopedic said that runners are his future patients!' and " you dont need to run to get that high, you can walk just as well and its not as hard on your body!" Really??? I dont care your thoughts... this is my life and there are a whole lot worse things that I could be doing that would be more damaging to my health and my body.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My comeback to just about all of them is "I used to say that. Never believed that I'd ever be able to run. Well, a lot can change in a year."

Exactly.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    hash_house_harriers_basic_tshirt-rde53a330b85244fba1f95062dcf03dbf_804gy_512.jpg

ON-ON!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Why bother running if you're not going to win?
    Why would anyone in their right mind CHOOSE to run _____ miles?!
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been running for many years, thousands of miles. Knees are fine. I'm thinking about my next run right now.

Have heard many of these and have grown tired of explaining why I do it. Now my response is "Come run with me tomorrow".

Had few takers. But now our conversations are more interesting.
  • CEThornton
    Options
    "Oh, so everyone gets a medal at the end?"

hahaha *kitten* you, give me my medal. I need something to grip between my teeth while I ice my *kitten* for the next 3 days.

No freaking kidding!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My favorites so far are... "my orthopedic said that runners are his future patients!' and " you dont need to run to get that high, you can walk just as well and its not as hard on your body!" Really??? I dont care your thoughts... this is my life and there are a whole lot worse things that I could be doing that would be more damaging to my health and my body.

Now that you mention it, I did, once, have an orthopedic doctor tell me, "It's patients like that that keep doctors like me in business." Sorry. I just had to giggle.

And, while I'm on the subject, I've quite frequently heard, "You're not running, you're jogging. Jogging is easy, running is hard." Then they sit their butts back down not doing either. *begin seethe*
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Have heard them all and more. Now, I just smile instead of responding. :wink:
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    I will flip you off every time if you yell out your car window "RUN FORREST RUN!" at me while I am running.

7XBhk.gif
  • jennhls
    jennhls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ha ha, I don't really ever get annoyed at the things my non running friends say. I try to remember they probably get just as annoyed with me talking about running. There is just no way for them to understand how running 15, 18, or 20 miles while training for my marathon could be fun. I think the runners high you get and the sense of accomplishment you feel makes you want to shout it from the roof tops. Luckily I have a lot of running friends that I can talk to, so I save it for them (most of the time).
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    "How can you like running?"

"What are you running from?"

facepalm
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My ex-mother in law, who I still love and truly is a wonderful person, used to tell me that if I run outside when it's cold, my lungs would freeze. :huh:
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    "I could never run"

Drives me crazy. Yes, you could.

"I tried it once and hated it"

Grrr...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    "Have some more [random dessert] - you run and can afford it!"

So. Not. True.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    "You ran XX miles? You are crazy!"

I don't have the heart to tell them that was my easy run...
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Ignorant remarks are why very few people know that I run.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got this guy i work with who doesn't run but likes to look up my race times. When he saw my current HM pr (2:06) he said, "I could walk 13 miles in less time than that."
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have heard several of these comments over the years. The best one that I heard was {not on this list} your uterus is going to fall out if you keep on running. LOL.
    OMG! I wish! would save me a lot of pain and annoyance

^THIS!