Going over my daily protein allowance...help!!

Options
I seem to consistently go over my protein allowance, how bad is that when trying to loose weight?

I have off days were i go over sugar & carbs (chocolate craving) and I expect the minus figures but when i think im being really good i somehow still manage to go over my protein intake!

Not sure how to reduce protein without upping carbs, any ideas?!

Replies

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ummm only worry abgout your calories. Over on protein is not a big deal. Your muscles need it anyways for recovery. Just focus on calories, Its how I lost all my weight and went over on everything else more often than not. Good luck!
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on your protein allowance. MFP sets low goals anyways. In fact, having more protein is probably better for your muscles and will keep you satiated longer than carbs.
  • sashagilmour1989
    Options
    thanks y'all :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any medical reasons why you should watch your protein intake, going over your protein goals isn't a problem as long as you stay within your calorie goals. Most days I am over my protein goals by 10 or more grams. For me to lose weight I have to reduce my carbs. I don't go truly 'low carb' but I do try to eat well below my carb goals for the day. Most days my calories come from about 35% protein, 30% fat and 35% carbs.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as a minimum and ignore carbs & fat. But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different opinions.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Wish I had this problem...
    Unless you're exceeding your daily calories goal, you won't affect your weightloss. You just won't be eating at a certain macro rate (like 40-30-30 or whatever you decided to set). Some of the calories expected from carbs or fats will actually come from proteins instead and it's alright.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere a while ago it can damage your liver if you regularly have high amounts of excess protein however I can't remember where I saw this or how reliable it was
  • Kritikalz
    Options
    You only start wasting protein if you go above 1g/LBM so it really shouldn't be an issue to most people, the worst that can happen isprotein ****s wich will literally be like trying to **** bricks, you can counter this by getting more fiber and taking fish oil
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere a while ago it can damage your liver if you regularly have high amounts of excess protein however I can't remember where I saw this or how reliable it was

Is this not in the case that you already have liver damage or a susceptibility for it?

And as mirrored above - wish this was an issue for me!!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Is this not in the case that you already have liver damage or a susceptibility for it?

Can't say I have a clue, would need to re-look it up! :P
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Can't say I have a clue, would need to re-look it up! :P

Would be good to know xD I may have to go look it up myself once I'm out of lazy mode :P