MY PERIOD IS RUINING MY PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    but the problem is that the body is depleted of iron and magnesium as it build lining, not as it sheds it,

I had endometrial ablation more than a year ago. I no longer build nor shed any lining.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    but the problem is that the body is depleted of iron and magnesium as it build lining, not as it sheds it,

I had endometrial ablation more than a year ago. I no longer build nor shed any lining.

Have you had a recent ultrasound to rule out endometriosis and fibroids?

ETA: Not having a lining, and even not having a uterus doesn't alter the body's process of diverting RBCs and iron, and from hormonally increasing magensium depeletion, assuming you still possess working ovaries.
  • rml_16
    Options

*sigh*

I know my body. I get tired and hungry for a week every month. Then I'm fine. Although I spent a long time on BC, I also had periods for many years before going on it in the first place. This is not new. I have been having periods on and off BC for 26 years. My point is only that telling women that their periods don't affect their hunger (and for some women this is probably true, but NOT for all) is dismissive and rude.

Stop it.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm so hungry becuase of my period that I just ate a bowl of raisins and granola. For dinner all I had was some chicken, a small salad with light ranch dressing and water. I've barely eaten much but cereal bars today so will this set me back? I've been doing so well I just get so hungry when I'm on it. PLEASE HELP IM GOING CRAZY

What is sounds like is not that your over eating but you are under eating. If thats all you ate then your body is probably holding on to every ounce of food you have consumed bc its going into starvation mode. Eat your calories and even go over if you need to during those couple days.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Or, you know, the fact that if you live in the developed world, we blame all unwanted behavior on "hormones" and that "time of the month" because somehow, if it's unavoidable, then it's socially ok to be short with people, overeat, not exercise, fail to meet obligations and otherwise engage in behavior that we couldn't easily excuse.

Your period is not a free pass or an excuse. Like the girls who skipped gym class a week every month in middle school, all it does is embolden the rest of the population to not take you seriously, and worse, to not take other women seriously.

Eat badly, treat others badly, exercise, don't exercise, but don't blame your hormones or your uterus - neither are running the show. Your brain runs the show, and it makes choices. Own them.

While it's true that perhaps 40% of women (not the majority or all!) have used their period as an excuse (http://jezebel.com/5953440/almost-40-of-women-use-their-period-as-an-excuse-to-get-out-of-lame-things), there's no way for a stranger to know the actual medical status of any given women. Words like "PMS" are indeed thrown around lightheartedly, but it's also true PMS, PMDD, and other menstrual disorders are actual medical syndromes that can have severe symptomology and that many suffer deeply with them. I'm an optimist, so I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt :)

PMS is not a disorder. PMDD is a disorder, but for those who suffer from it, eating is commonly the last thing on their minds. Early in college I helped with a study on women with PMDD and most of them had more trouble keeping food down/in and in being able to function at all outside of bed. They certainly weren't roving about complaining and using it as an excuse.

Personally, I've dealt with much of the spectrum of female gynecological malaise. I would never demean that or women that truly suffer by claiming my period made me behave a certain way and interestingly, neither did any of those women.

EXCUSE me? Please tell me why women with PMDD can not function? I suffered from PMDD and let me tell you, it was not a physical illness but a mental one.(and that is why I was prescribed Lexapro) Now the fibriods I had, THAT made me not be able to function and lead to me getting a hysterectomy at 42 years old.

Not all periods are created equal. I know people that do not have a minutes problem with theirs, then there are people that are unable to sit up right for the first 3 days. No one woman can tell another how to handle her period, because they do not experience the same types of things.

I have PMDD and it is both physical and mental. Someone who has or has had PMD should know this.

It's funny - people complain about PMS but imagine being so depressed for a few days that you can't function as usual. You can't work, you can't sleep, you feel suicidal for absolutely no reason at all. I'd be lying if I said I don't find women complaining about their period on here to be annoying. Many women are so lucky to have regular periods, normal hormone levels and just decide to come onto MFP and complain how they can't work out because of slight discomfort. You're right, who are we to judge but having been on the other side, it's really hard not to.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    I'd be having some Oreos and bacon with that salad.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I know my body. I get tired and hungry for a week every month. Then I'm fine. Although I spent a long time on BC, I also had periods for many years before going on it in the first place. This is not new. I have been having periods on and off BC for 26 years. My point is only that telling women that their periods don't affect their hunger (and for some women this is probably true, but NOT for all) is dismissive and rude.

Stop it.

Agreed.

I don't know one woman out there who doesn't have some kind of higher need for carbs, sugar right before their period.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    This is why women shouldn't be in the military!!!!

Now that is a low blow. I'm a 2 time combat veteran. You haven't lived until you have changed a tampon on the side of the road at night in full battle gear while someone in a Humvee covers you. I do agree if you are big whiney baby, male or female, the military is NOT the place for you. My period has never affected my service. If anything it helps, as I'm more hostile than the majority of my male teammates.

ROFLMAO Oh I love this! You are my hero! :bigsmile:
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi there- I can't even bear to read what people are writing to you. Please read a book called "28 Days Lighter" which addresses fitness in terms of a woman's cycle. This book is wonderful, putting you squarely in touch of your cycle, why we have cravings, PMS and so forth. I love this book, I'm finally no longer stuck in a weight plateau because of listening to my body and giving it what it needs.

ps: if you're undereating it will kick you in the *kitten* later on. This book will also tell you why.
    best of luck to you!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Gah, unless you have a legitimate medical reason, which some women really do, for example endometriosis, or PMDD, there is NOTHING that should change about your eating or exercise habits when you have your period. It's going to happen roughly 400 times in your life, so figure out a way to deal with it. It's not the end of the world. It's a little blood.

BS.

I was on some form of hormonal BC for a LONG time and now I'm off of it and having mormal cycles again and I can tell you that things most definitely do change -- at least for some women -- based on their periods.

I've decided to start actually tracking it on a calendar so I can try and predict when it's going to hit me. This was my first month tracking. From Feb. 11-15, I was so tired I could barely function and so hungry that I don't think 5,000 calories would have satisfied the hunger. I wasn't craving anything specific, but I literally could not get enough to eat. It was ridiculous hunger to the point I felt sick if I didn't eat something.

This week, there is nothing hormonal going on. Yesterday, I worked out with a trainer and was stuffed at 1,100 calories. I am pretty much satisfied on 1,000-1,500 calories three weeks every month. But that fourth week, I am not satisfied on probably double that amount.

Oh wait a minute, a few posts down you claim you had an endometrial ablation.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Gah, unless you have a legitimate medical reason, which some women really do, for example endometriosis, or PMDD, there is NOTHING that should change about your eating or exercise habits when you have your period. It's going to happen roughly 400 times in your life, so figure out a way to deal with it. It's not the end of the world. It's a little blood.

BS.

I was on some form of hormonal BC for a LONG time and now I'm off of it and having mormal cycles again and I can tell you that things most definitely do change -- at least for some women -- based on their periods.

I've decided to start actually tracking it on a calendar so I can try and predict when it's going to hit me. This was my first month tracking. From Feb. 11-15, I was so tired I could barely function and so hungry that I don't think 5,000 calories would have satisfied the hunger. I wasn't craving anything specific, but I literally could not get enough to eat. It was ridiculous hunger to the point I felt sick if I didn't eat something.

This week, there is nothing hormonal going on. Yesterday, I worked out with a trainer and was stuffed at 1,100 calories. I am pretty much satisfied on 1,000-1,500 calories three weeks every month. But that fourth week, I am not satisfied on probably double that amount.

Oh wait a minute, a few posts down you claim you had an endometrial ablation.
    And?
  • Greytfish
    Options

*sigh*

Stop it.

Then you must be just tickled that I didn't, in fact, assert that. Any manner of things, including hormonal fluctuations, serotinin levels, activity levels, fights with significant others, grief, etc. affect hunger. They just don't affect what you eat or how much. That's your brain making a choice.

For the OP, based on what she disclosed, it doesn't sound like her hunger was caused by anything other than not already having consumed enough fuel for her body to function.
  • ReinaH1216
    ReinaH1216 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Overeating (which it doesn't even sound like you did) is absolutely fine to do when you have you period. Personally I indulge at those times because it helps me not want to stab people to death. Then everyone wins :-)

I loved this^!!!!!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, every woman is different and the fact that I have seen this topic turn up more times than I can count, suggests that cravings during that time of the month are more the norm, rather than the exception.

Or, you know, the fact that if you live in the developed world, we blame all unwanted behavior on "hormones" and that "time of the month" because somehow, if it's unavoidable, then it's socially ok to be short with people, overeat, not exercise, fail to meet obligations and otherwise engage in behavior that we couldn't easily excuse.

Your period is not a free pass or an excuse. Like the girls who skipped gym class a week every month in middle school, all it does is embolden the rest of the population to not take you seriously, and worse, to not take other women seriously.

Eat badly, treat others badly, exercise, don't exercise, but don't blame your hormones or your uterus - neither are running the show. Your brain runs the show, and it makes choices. Own them.

Awesome, I'll remember it's all in my head and just an excuse when I'm sobbing uncontrollably and wishing I were dead during the one day of the month I lose control of my PMS and lay in bed all day. It's all just an excuse!! I can own this! All these hormones surging around my body are just my imagination and I can overcome them with healthy eating and a positive attitude!!
    I am super englightened now.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options

Now that is a low blow. I'm a 2 time combat veteran. You haven't lived until you have changed a tampon on the side of the road at night in full battle gear while someone in a Humvee covers you. I do agree if you are big whiney baby, male or female, the military is NOT the place for you. My period has never affected my service. If anything it helps, as I'm more hostile than the majority of my male teammates.

Like a ****ing boss.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Yes, every woman is different and the fact that I have seen this topic turn up more times than I can count, suggests that cravings during that time of the month are more the norm, rather than the exception.

Awesome, I'll remember it's all in my head and just an excuse when I'm sobbing uncontrollably and wishing I were dead during the one day of the month I lose control of my PMS and lay in bed all day. It's all just an excuse!! I can own this! All these hormones surging around my body are just my imagination and I can overcome them with healthy eating and a positive attitude!!

Because really....complaining is better than seeking medical treatment.....yup
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post because good god you women are long winded!

Long story short...

If you have a medical condition that makes your period suck, I feel for you. Do the best you can to try and eat more/eat less, get moving if at least for 30 minutes. But in the end you know your own levels.

If you dont have a medical condition and you just have cramps and feel the need to eat 3 Snickers bars during that week .... STOP! Your period is not an excuse to overeat and be lazy. Exercise helps cramps (if you dont have a condition) and cravings are psychological for the most part. The reason you believe you want chocolate during your period is because you are experiencing some sort of pain and you want to be comforted. There are a lot of psychological studies on it!

Same with women who get pregnant and make their husbands drive 2 hours to get a burger with seaweed and pickles only. Your hormones arent telling you that ... you are. Because society loves the pregnant lady with weird cravings.

IMO. But there are studies on it. Will post links if I have time.

Love each other women!!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Like a ****ing boss.

You're the Shhhh IT!
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options

Because really....complaining is better than seeking medical treatment.....yup

I live in a country where treatment for these issues is not common.
    ETA: I'm not trying to make this thread about me, but when you make a broad sweeping statement about how we blame "all unwanted behaviour on hormones" I believe you need to check yourself. I'm very pleased for you for never having had a problem with your periods, I do NOT use mine as an "excuse" to over eat or to slack off my exercise. I keep a close track of my cycle and plan accordingly.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I hate that tom too. It makes me not want to do anything. But for me, it's so bad and heavy, I really shouldn't do anything.