People with names you like/dislke?

Options
Myhaloslipped
Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
This may sound strange, or it may be common. I am not sure. I have noticed that there are people with certain names whom I have always liked or had good experiences with. For example, I have never met anyone with the names Amy, Amber, Nicole, Matthew, Jason (among others) whom I did not like. Is this a coincidence, or do we just have a positive/negative association with certain names that influences our first impression of people? Discuss.

Replies

• TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I totally get you! The names I like (naming a few) for men are: Derek and Russell (the reason why I named my son). For women: Naomi and Nicole (Not only is it my middle name, but it fits all names I've heard so far). Names I dislike are: James, John, David, Stephanie, Allyson, Natasha and Heidi. Every single person with these names I've ever met were negative in one form or another.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this myself.

There is one name, and it shall remain nameless on here, that no matter who that person is with that name, they always turn out to be a horrible person. Odd.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree but I think it might be negative associations from our own biases. It would just be too much of a coincidence otherwise.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    I forgot to add Jennifer (Jenn, Jenny). Every girl whom I have known with that name has been awesome, which is interesting, because the name is so common. You would think I would have had an encounter with one bad one.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    I agree but I think it might be negative associations from our own biases. It would just be too much of a coincidence otherwise.

^This!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Okay... So I'm a Cassandra... Almost every Cassandra I've met have not been nice, in my opinions quite *****y and self absorbed . From back home there were maybe 5 including me and the other 4 even had similar looks, body types and outlooks on life except for me....I like my name, but just not most of the people who I share it with ;-)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Okay... So I'm a Cassandra... Almost every Cassandra I've met have not been nice, in my opinions quite *****y and self absorbed and from back home there were maybe 5 including me and the other 4 even had similar looks, body types and outlooks on life except for me....I like my name, but just not most of the people who I share it with ;-)

Haha, I am reluctant to list the names with which I have negative connotations (Cassandra is not one of them :) ), because there are people on my FL who I love to death, but I don't know their real names yet.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Btw, my name is Brooke, and most Brookes whom I have met are...unpleasant and difficult. lol.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The only person in the world that I hate with an absolute passion, where I would have a party for her funeral, and dance on her grave, is a woman named Brooke. Therefore, all Brookes, by name association, must be pure evil.
  • TattooedNici
    Options
    Okay... So I'm a Cassandra... Almost every Cassandra I've met have not been nice, in my opinions quite *****y and self absorbed and from back home there were maybe 5 including me and the other 4 even had similar looks, body types and outlooks on life except for me....I like my name, but just not most of the people who I share it with ;-)

Haha, I am reluctant to list the names with which I have negative connotations (Cassandra is not one of them :) ), because there are people on my FL who I love to death, but I don't know their real names yet.

I should go back and edit my post. Eh, screw it. I have my moments of assholeness.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Every Tai I ever met was just awesome. :bigsmile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Btw, my name is Brooke, and most Brookes whom I have met are...unpleasant and difficult. lol.

LOL, you posted right before me. :blushing:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    The only person in the world that I hate with an absolute passion, where I would have a party for her funeral, and dance on her grave, is a woman named Brooke. Therefore, all Brookes, by name association, must be pure evil.

They are the worst! :wink:
  • TattooedNici
    Options
    Okay... So I'm a Cassandra... Almost every Cassandra I've met have not been nice, in my opinions quite *****y and self absorbed . From back home there were maybe 5 including me and the other 4 even had similar looks, body types and outlooks on life except for me....I like my name, but just not most of the people who I share it with ;-)

My first name is Denise and every single one I've met were either slutty or a total snob. I've never felt Denise was a suitable name for me, so I go by Nici.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Every friend I have ever had named Brittany has been crazy as a freaking loon; however, their good qualities outweigh the bad, and I love those girls to death.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange, or it may be common. I am not sure. I have noticed that there are people with certain names whom I have always liked or had good experiences with. For example, I have never met anyone with the names Amy, Amber, Nicole, Matthew, Jason (among others) whom I did not like. Is this a coincidence, or do we just have a positive/negative association with certain names that influences our first impression of people? Discuss.

I'm not sure if I would call it a coincidence or a predisposition to certain names.

But I would ask this:

Would you consider yourself a friendly person that generally likes most people?

Or do you tend to not get along with most people so the names on your list seem to stand out?
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are actually people who study names and perceptions associated with them. I remember reading an article about how certain names are perceived to be more "hireable", "likable", "successful", "strong", "villainous", etc. Go to google scholar and look at some of the scientific articles on the psychology of names. It's pretty interesting.

Also, I personally hate the name Nadine.

That is all.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This happens for sure. My wife is a teacher and when we had our first born, trying to find a name was difficult because many names reminded her of a problem student she had over the years. It is truly illogical, but that's the way we think sometimes.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

I'm not sure if I would call it a coincidence or a predisposition to certain names.

But I would ask this:

Would you consider yourself a friendly person that generally likes most people?

Or do you tend to not get along with most people so the names on your list seem to stand out?

I have always been the person who gets along with pretty much everyone, even the people whom most others don't like. There are maybe a handful of people in my past whom I don't really care for, but they are rare, extreme cases. I don't hate them though, and most of it was silly, adolescent stuff.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Similar to this premise…every Heather I’ve met is good looking.