Low carb pasta?

karenfelloutofbedagain
edited September 22 in Recipes
Does anyoen know of any good low-carb pastas? I've heard of some kind of Asian pasta sometimes called 'miracle noodles' that has almost no calories and a lot of fiber. I 've never tried it. I love Rising Moon Organic Ravioli, but it's not really low-carb, just high-fiber and super-delicious. Also, sometimes I use spaghetti squash in place of actual spaghetti. Any other brands or options for people who like things like ravioli and tortellini but want to restrict carbs?

Replies

• They have some lowER carb pastas at thelowcarbgrocery.com. They're still too high for me at the moment, but they're better than nothing. I have been buying Shiritake noodles, which may be the miracle noodles you speak of. They are made from yams, and are available at some health food stores and asian grocery stores. They're not bad in stir-fries. Good luck!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Well I had never heard of miracle noodles until your post but I just went to their website and ordered some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • aesquivel47
    aesquivel47 Posts: 37 Member
    There are noodles that are made with Yam flour that are a fraction of the calories you find in regular pasta. They have more of a consistency and texture of rice noodles and take more to Asian dishes than say Italian dishes. I find they add more moisture than regular noodles so be careful not too dilute your sauces. Asian stores carry them as do some local grocers. I've tried the No'odles brand. Look however in the refridgerated produce section of your store, not in the pasta aisle, as they come packaged cold in water.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Try spaghetti squash. After you cook it, run a fork the long way through the squash and it separates into spaghetti-type strands. Very light flavor that is a great spaghetti substitutes. I made a casserole with it last night (cooked spaghetti squash, diced tomatoes, onions, ground turkey, etc.) and it was fabulous. Super low calorie!
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    I have tried Dreamfields. They were okay - but don't over cook them or your dish will be ruined.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    There are noodles that are made with Yam flour that are a fraction of the calories you find in regular pasta. They have more of a consistency and texture of rice noodles and take more to Asian dishes than say Italian dishes. I find they add more moisture than regular noodles so be careful not too dilute your sauces. Asian stores carry them as do some local grocers. I've tried the No'odles brand. Look however in the refridgerated produce section of your store, not in the pasta aisle, as they come packaged cold in water.

The yam noodles are the shiritake noodles 'livinginthepeg' was referencing. Apparently they absorb the flavor of whatever you put them in. :)
  • I actually just tried Miracle Noodles this evening for the first time. They are sort of rubbery but just blended in with the spaghetti sauce I added them to. I think it is definately something I could get use to but I wouldn't leave the noodles long. I found if you chop them up short you still feel like you're eating pasta but you dont notice the different texture/feel as much.

Tomorrow I plan on chopping them up into tiny pieces to cook them into a beef and cabbage stir fry im going to make. I think they would have better luck convincing my taste buds they are rice rather then spaghetti noodles :)

~ Nae
    http://kisskiss.areavoices.com/
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    I have tried Dreamfields. They were okay - but don't over cook them or your dish will be ruined.

I think that after trying a TON of low carb pastas years ago Dreamfields is the best IMO.
  • I've tried it and it taste horrible. Don't waste your money.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    What about just eating less of the regular wholegrain pasta?
    You'd still get a real pasta hit but not so much carbs if that bothers you
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Maybe I misunderstood what I read somewhere, but higher fiber=lower net carbs. So, if your pasta has 26g carbs per serving, and 9g of dietary fiber, net carbs are 17g, right?
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Try Zucchini pasta. Use a vegetable peeler to make strips that look like pasta. Fry them in a pan until they are soft to your liking. They don't taste the same as pasta noodles but still pretty good with less carbs for a change.
  • Dreamfield's is awesome. We have been using it for years. I am a huge pasta person and cannot tell a lickof difference.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    the only pasta I love is the one I buy at the heath food store or Wegman's it is made out of rice.looks just like pasta. I love it because you do not get that bloated feeling, & it fills you up without going back for seconds. If you decide to purchase it cook it just the way the package tells you to 17 minuets no longer, it foams up more so do not put it on high because it will foam all over the place.
    Judy
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Try Rizopia Brown Rice Pasta . 56gr for 200 cals (I assume dry pasta, or at least this is what I like to think ) :tongue:
    On the same note try quinoa pasta, with about the same calorie count. Better go at your groceries store and I am quite sure you will find something after you do some research. If pasta is just a "miracle pasta" I would be a bit suspicious when it comes to ingredients. Shop around for low carb but do not give up on quality.
    Less is more :-)
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Hey there!

I'm a low-carber and I eat low carb pasta at least twice a week. My favorite is Carbzone's penne and/or fusilli. With 26 grams of protein and only 6 carbs per serving it's a major win!

However, I live in Sweden so I'm not sure if you will be able to get it where you are. If you can, i highly recommend it :)

~Laura
This discussion has been closed.