Banana alternative?

Options
Hi everyone, there have been a few banana related posts today so it prompted me to ask something I've been meaning to ask for a while!

I know that bananas are really good for you, especially pre/post workout, and there are lots of healthy recipes that use banana, like protein pancakes and muffins and whatnot, but my problem is that I absolutely LOATHE banana!! I can't stand the smell, the texture, the taste, everything!

Are there any other foods that peeps would recommend instead of bananas? Particularly for the potassium as a pre/post workout snack, and as a recipe ingredient?

Replies

• itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    avocado
    sweet potatoes
    squash

there are lots of others -- just google high potassium foods
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with potassium? I see people tracking it. How does it help?
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I know that it's good to take in potassium after a workout as it is an electrolyte that you can lose in your sweat, I'm not sure what the benefit of tracking it is though.

Ah sweet potatoes...that could work as a sub in a protein pancake?
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The most common effect from low potassium is leg cramps, dizziness, numbness and tingling the your lower limps. Its uber important to get enought potassium but can be hard if you dont like bananas... like me! :( I just copied this list from about.com. im sure one of these item can fit in your plan.
    Foods High in Potassium

•Raisins
    •Prunes
    •Potatoes
    •Apricots
    •Dates
    •Strawberries
    •Bananas
    •Watermelon
    •Cantaloupe
    •Citrus fruits
    •Beets