Getting to the gym

Options
I'm having a hard time getting myself to the gym each day. I'm not working and if I don't have another reason to leave the house I just don't go.
If I'm doing errands or have a doctor's appointment I like to swing by on my way home. My gym is 4.5 miles away so it's not like its a terrible drive.
Any ideas?

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    dont go? do something you enjoy? dance, sports, yoga, walk outside. maybe enlist a friend to do something with to keep you accountable. forcing yourself to do something you dont want to do will only make you fail in the end. u just need to find an activity you do like to do, and THEN hold yourself accountable to that...
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting myself to the gym each day. I'm not working and if I don't have another reason to leave the house I just don't go.
    If I'm doing errands or have a doctor's appointment I like to swing by on my way home. My gym is 4.5 miles away so it's not like its a terrible drive.
    Any ideas?

I've never really heard of a cow going to the gym before.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,405 Member
    Options
    I found a couple of classes at the gym I really enjoy doing and that's what gets me out of the house. I'm in the same boat as you and if it weren't for loving those classes, I'd be a slug!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use it as a reason to get out of the house.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It can be a challenge but try to change your mindset on it. Tell yourself you will feel better, you will have more energy, you will look great, etc. Then put your gym clothes on and go to the gym. If within 10 minutes, you still don't want to be there. Leave and go home but at least you tried. Eventually it will start to change. Also, try a class or something you might like such as spinning, boot camp, yoga, etc.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's really about getting yourself motivated. I do work, but I like to go home after work and then go to the gym after dinner. I struggled with motivation for a long time. I recently joined a new gym, and even though it's further from my house, I am going every other day because I feel re-energized and actually excited to go. I found it easy to skip it when I was bored with my old gym and the old routine. Are you bored with the same old workout every time you go? Try switching it up -taking a class, or finding a gym buddy to help motivate you to go. You have to remind yourself why you want to get healthy and why you need to go to accomplish your goals. Don't try to go every day - you can overdo it and will just burn out. Try to switch it up with DVDs at home, walking the neighborhood, etc. Best of luck to you! *hugs*
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to force yourself to go a few times in the beginning. It's all about getting yourself on a routine .. If you find that by not having anything else going on in your day is making it tough to find that "get up and go", you might want to add other activities to your day just to make it more full. Get some hobbies ... or plan out the cleaning/laundry/netflix watching/internet-time/ etc for your day, and pencil in the gym too. That way, you know that before you can start your afternoon of folding laundry & watching Netflix, that you need to go to the gym, the bank, and do your food shopping.

Or find other forms of exercise that dont involve the gym .. walk, go to your local indoor pool to swim, take some dance classes etc .
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home, so that's what I do. Perhaps that would be a good plan for you? I'm not trying to sell you on it or anything, but I am doing T25.. the fact it has a set schedule keeps me accountable. I like that I don't have to waste time traveling to/from a gym. And the workout is only 25 minutes - so again, I have no excuse to not complete it. It's satisfying to check off the workout for the day.

I agree with the others as well.. find a type of workout that you enjoy (or at least something you don't dread).
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

This!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

^This. I have found that this winter, I was in the house alot after I graduated college but still had to sit in the house to study for my boards. I was getting depressed too by this transitional period in my life. The gym was a place I could interact with people, lose myself in my music, and just "shut down" for awhile . Sometimes, it really is the best form of therapy.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wanna go either! I find that the more my day is structured and scheduled, the easier it is for me to be 'in the zone.' Maybe set an alarm at 9am, make the gym an appointment in all senses of the word. It's in the calendar, it's an obligation, its at a set time. Don't forget, lots of people have zero free time because they have two jobs three kids no money no gym. Those people are like :noway: JUST GO!!
    You can do it if you want to! As a New Yorker (who walks everywhere) I would say walk the 4.5 miles to the gym, stand there and look at the door, and walk home LOL. The next day you'll be like well that was ridiculous I need to just go.
    Sending you good thoughts, find something there that gets your heart racing, have a good music playlist, and before you know it you'll actually want to go some days.
    (Cheat tip: get an espresso on the ride over. That's a fun way to need to burn off energy)
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's super cliche` but honestly Nike says it best. Just do it. There's no magic motivational tool or secret message. Either it's a priority or it's not. After a while it will become habit and eventually you may even be so driven that you miss it when you don't go. Then again maybe it will always be a chore and you'll always have to force yourself. Either way, you're in control. Also, as others are saying, if you truely don't like going there are other options.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself go!!

Pick a time during the day and designate that as your "gym time" so you are on a little bit of a structured schedule! Going at the same time makes it become a habit.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

I've never really heard of a cow going to the gym before.

I thought this was a nasty dig until I figured out what you meant.:ohwell:

OP, I second the previous poster that said don't go. I've never had success trying to go to a gym for just your reasons. I live 2.5 away from work so I just bike there and back, but my profession allows for that. (I work at a zoo so its okay if I'm a little stinky.) Try something else like maybe a workout DVD.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    treat it just like another appointment. Schedule it and go.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, it's simple ........

Make an appointment with yourself to go to the gym each day ....... mark it on the calendar same as you would a doctor appointment ...... make time for yourself !

That's what I do :flowerforyou:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Find something else (i.e. something active) that you enjoy doing. This really goes for anything in life, but when you love something, you don't need "motivation" to make the right decisions.

But there's no way of getting around this. Losing weight and being fit are not easy things, and people who don't find something to love about working hard will not succeed.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    find a gym FB
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've haven't been to any gym since I was 19. I work out at home, even have a bench and weights now.