What am I doing wrong? Advice needed!

Options

Replies

• Merebelle2014
    Options
    I will certainly try counting calories. We all have the same goal... let's not throw stones at each others naivety. As I stated I'm new to the site, and over time I too will learn to "actually use the site".

Thank you all for the input, hopefully results are right around the corner!!
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I may be clueless because I don't count calories, but I believe it IS still possible without doing so. My portions aren't big, and my exercise is consistent...Perhaps I'm looking for advice about exercise more so than food intake.

I just posted about that in the "maintaining weight" forum. I should have posted it here. The nutritionist I talked to says never ever ever count calories because that won't help you, but rather be harmful for you in the long term. I want to believe there's another way, too. I'm confused...

There's not, there's really no opinion on the matter, just simple facts.

1lb of fat = 3500calories. To lose 1lb of fat every week, you need to be 3500 calories, so 500 per day, under your "maintenance".

Certain diets may assist with this, and give other benefits in some places, but the fact remains that for fat loss, you need to be using your fat stores, which means having a total calorific deficit.

And some food, such as nuts, have a *lot* more calories than people realise. Healthy foods, are not always low in calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice except the survival mode crap. Let's see if OP listens . . .
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Three things that helped in the past that I'm implementing again this go around, were: lowering carb intake, eating at least 100 g of protein, and not eating too few calories. Keep experimenting and making little changes, you'll get there!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If I made an educated guess, I'd say I eat approx.1300 calories a day. Is there such thing as an average calorie goal for generic weight loss? I guess I will have to start counting, and see what happens.

Thanks all, any other advice is welcomed!

When I finally started really counting, I was pretty shocked to find out how much I was really eating. Then I started measuring and weighing my food and had a rude awakening about how much smaller a real portion size is compared to what I was eyeballing. Then I started to actually lose weight.

My story is one of MANY on this site. This whole weightloss thing is totally doable. But, if what you are doing right now isn't working (not counting calories), then it's time to change it up and try something new. Logging really only takes me a few minutes a day to do, but the payoff is huge.
  • classicalguitar1
    classicalguitar1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To start with what are your stats, also how long have you been doing this for now?
    The reason I ask is because although you are doing all the right things it can take a while for your body to adapt and start shedding the weight.
    I was in your boat and I didn't see the scales move until 6 weeks after I first started with my program, then the weight just began falling off!
    Good luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Did you know if you do not eat enough your body will go into something like survival mode and turn things into fat for later. A primitive thing from when food was not as plentiful. Also if you are menopausal (like me) it can stall your weight loss. Lastly if you are doing any type of muscle building exercise you may be losing inches but muscle weighs ore than fat so it will reflect an increase in pounds but a decrease in inches.

Menopausal here. Sorry if TMI. I usually don't comment on such things but FFS, it's about calorie deficit. The rest of this post is misinformation.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"

Man I so gotta try that diet!
  • Merebelle2014
    Options
    I may be clueless because I don't count calories, but I believe it IS still possible without doing so. My portions aren't big, and my exercise is consistent...Perhaps I'm looking for advice about exercise more so than food intake.

Then how did you gain weight?

Take it easy. I just started this journey in the middle of January. I haven't always eaten healthy, and like everyone else, I wasn't getting as much exercise as I should've been. But that's the past, I'm looking towards the future...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

try actually using MFP.

^^This. :laugh:

What I wanted to say.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

okay you don't count calories moving on from this because you're going to get more advice on this than you'll need. portions oh PORTIONS! get yourself a food scale or at the very least measuring cups. while you may think your portions are not big they may be bigger than they are supposed to be. this was a huge problem for me. i didn't think my portions were big until i started to measure and i started measuring with just measuring cups (have since moved on to a food scale). this was a HUGE eye opener for me. what i thought was a normal portion size turned out to be not so normal and in some cases twice the normal portion size. make sure you are being honest with your exercise too. you say 45 minutes but are you really working out for 45 minutes straight (ie i may be at the gym weight training for a total of 45 minutes but i'm not actually weight training 45 minutes straight - it's more like 35 when you factor in breaks).

special k isn't the best thing for you it's loaded with junk (imo). read ingredients on the foods you eat and learn what the portion size is on the foods you eat. just because something looks like a cup in a bowl doesn't mean it IS a cup of something. good luck
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What you consider a small portion is probably not the same as what I call a small protion. A portion of rice is 1/2 cup cooked. Maybe for you, 1 cup is small because before you would've had 2. (that's 300 cals right there - regular dressing on salad? minimum 100 cals)

And as for not believing in counting calories...I counted them for 2 years, now I don't because I KNOW how many calories are in my 1/2 cup of rice. I keep a mental log and I'm still losing weight... But you have to know your basics first!

Log your cals for 1 month and then see if you're really eating 1300 cals.... I beleive you're eating more than that! I eat around 1500 (I log once in a while to make sure I'm still on track) and I'm losing at 5'2'' and 132lbs.

And you want more advice on exercise, I suggest lifting heavy (throw away the 1 to 5lbs dumbells) 3 X week. Some HIIT (google it) would be good for cardio.
  • Merebelle2014
    Options
    I just invested in a food scale!! It should be interesting to see what it says (eek!!) Thank you both!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If I made an educated guess, I'd say I eat approx.1300 calories a day. Is there such thing as an average calorie goal for generic weight loss? I guess I will have to start counting, and see what happens.

Thanks all, any other advice is welcomed!
    As others suggested, you need to be logging your food. Weighing and measuring so it is accurate.

IF, and that's a big IF, your educated guess of 1300 calories is what you are eating every day, it is not enough.

At 5'8", 225lbs, and exercising as regularly as you do, 1300 calories a day is NOT enough food.

Here is a link full of great information!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I just invested in a food scale!! It should be interesting to see what it says (eek!!) Thank you both!

I hope you take and follow the advice given, OP. :smile:
  • beltrone
    beltrone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1. Any diet/workout needs at-least minimum 2 weeks to show results. Sometimes even more if our metabolic system was in hibernation mode for too long.

2. Sometimes we lose fast but gain muscles too (good thing), so actual weight difference will remain low. Scale hardly shows any improvement but mirror and clothes tell different story.

3. Count your calories and eat in proper portions ie. proper percentage of fats/protein/carbo's according to new caloric goal.

4. Do not stress, make it a new lifestyle instead. Avoid sitting for too long. Keep walking/moving/standing when doing household chores. Just forget you are doing this to lose weight. Just keep thinking whatever you are doing is good for your blood and Lymphatic circulation. Happiness will be at your door step soon.

5. Try Intermittent fasting, it works for me always. I eat 2 proper meals everyday in 8 hour window. My routine -
    12AM - Lunch
    8 PM - Dinner
    8PM-12AM Fast (Only water consumption), I hardly feel hungry between 8PM and 11PM (Sleep Time) then in morning again I hardly crave for breakfast in 9-12AM period. 16 hour fast daily looks burden on paper, but in reality easily manageable due to 9 hour sleep. I only spend 30 minutes total on eating, 2 times a day. I find it much easier, I am shedding kilos at rapid pace.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

THIS made a world of difference for me. :)
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories (sorry! My view is that if it's all good for you, as long as the portions aren't huge-- its generally okay)

I'm 24, 5'8 and 225.
    My mother eats the healthiest foods of anyone I know and she has been obese most of her life.

You need to count calories.

Same here. My mother eats super healthy. She juices and eats mostly veggies. She is almost 300 pounds.

Healthy eating does not = thin.

I always scratch my head at people who ask for advice on what they are doing wrong and when Everyone tells them what they are doing wrong, they argue because obviously they don't need help.

/facepalm
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Our eye always overestimate calories. You need to count them and measure/weigh to find out what is accurate. If you are dead set against counting calories not sure how much success there is going to be. At least try counting your calories for a month and see if the scales moves. You are working out 5 days a week but if you do not know how much is going into your body or how much you should be eating you are wasting your time. If it is not lbs you want to drop but inches, measure yourself and see if your body measurements are decreasing from week to week.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Weight loss is mostly diet, not exercise. However, I understand what you're saying...

Have you been losing weight at your current eating habits, portions, etc., and then plateaued?

If so, it's time to trim back even more. If you normally eat 3/4 of a plate of food, go to 1/2 of a plate of food. If you normally eat 2 slices of bread, eat one instead. If you normally eat a big bowl of Special K, eat 1/3 less. Personally, I lost the most weight on portion control and have made lasting changes that have kept the weight off. I see no reason that you can't continue on your current plan (with further cutting back) and succeed.

Here's the thing: When you count calories, every time you lose 5-10 lbs., you have to adjust your caloric intake to avoid the plateau. So, that's all you're doing here, as well. Just trim it back a little every 10 lbs. and you should rock along just fine.