Tips for keeping sugar intake below 35g/day

Options
Please give them to me.

I try, oh I try, but my sugar intake keeps going above my limit. I do eat quite a bit of fruit, but where I think it really gets me is my breakfast. I am a working gal with two small boys. I have a "power" bar, if you will, in the morning. It's just so easy for me to grab and eat with my coffee. I go for the organic, nuts and berries type (Kind bar is a favorite), but alas it's packed with sugar. Any suggestions or tips on how to keep the sugar intake down and not just in the morning too. I do not drink pop or add sugar to my coffee.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I think the theory is that MFP is suggesting less than 35g of added sugar, but there is no hard and fast rule about "too much sugar". Focus on the macros: carbs (of which sugar is a part), protein, and fat. Stay within your calorie goals. It's pretty simple; no reason to make it more confusing than it needs to be.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a while and I'm trying to get off my last 15lbs. In the beginning, I totally agree with you. Look at the big picture, but now that I've essentially hit a plateau I feel the need to really hone my eating habits.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't freak out if I go over my sugar limit. Sometimes I am over it after my breakfast if I have fruit. IMO the sugar limit is extremely low.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think the big problem you will run into is the suggestion is 35g is added sugar, so fruit shouldn't count. But there's no way to log the fruit without adding sugar. So, you could either track it manually, or you could do what a lot of low carb and paleo people do and limit yourself to one serving of fruit a day and focus more on veggies, lean protein, and fats. I personally do better with carbs, and I ran into some serious medical issues after doing about 8 months of low-ish carbs. And I was eating 100-150g a day, which isn't that low. Others do perfectly fine on low carb.

I did read a great quote a while ago: "Show me an athlete who performs great on low carb and I will show you someone who could perform better with carbs."
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a while and I'm trying to get off my last 15lbs. In the beginning, I totally agree with you. Look at the big picture, but now that I've essentially hit a plateau I feel the need to really hone my eating habits.

Even for the last 15lbs you don't need to change what you eat. Just set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week, as you should lose slower the less you have to lose, and give it time.

Just make sure your intake is spot on, use a scale to weigh solid foods and cups and spoons for all liquids.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I think the theory is that MFP is suggesting less than 35g of added sugar, but there is no hard and fast rule about "too much sugar". Focus on the macros: carbs (of which sugar is a part), protein, and fat. Stay within your calorie goals. It's pretty simple; no reason to make it more confusing than it needs to be.

This
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think the big problem you will run into is the suggestion is 35g is added sugar, so fruit shouldn't count. But there's no way to log the fruit without adding sugar. So, you could either track it manually, or you could do what a lot of low carb and paleo people do and limit yourself to one serving of fruit a day and focus more on veggies, lean protein, and fats. I personally do better with carbs, and I ran into some serious medical issues after doing about 8 months of low-ish carbs. And I was eating 100-150g a day, which isn't that low. Others do perfectly fine on low carb.

I did read a great quote a while ago: "Show me an athlete who performs great on low carb and I will show you someone who could perform better with carbs."

^^^^ This! But i watch my carbs like a hawk and 100g carbs is good for me.
  • claireydafairy
    claireydafairy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With regards to the power bar breakfast you have, why not prep a weeks worth of breakfasts? I have overnight oats and make them every 2 days but my partner is not a fan, so instead I make him baked oatmeal. I mix porridge oats with some baking powder, protein powder and cinnamon. And add to that milk, egg, plain yogurt and banana and bake it for 35mins. Then I just cut into 5 slices and store it in tupperware in the fridge so he has a slice everyday for work.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    switch out the bars you are used to having for either quest bars or atkins ones. They have max 3g of sugars in them. Also, don't drink any fruit juices because one glass of oj is about 22 sugars = almost your whole day. Avoid flavored yogurt and get plain but put your own fruit into it. You can replace real sugar for steevia.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    With regards to the power bar breakfast you have, why not prep a weeks worth of breakfasts? I have overnight oats and make them every 2 days but my partner is not a fan, so instead I make him baked oatmeal. I mix porridge oats with some baking powder, protein powder and cinnamon. And add to that milk, egg, plain yogurt and banana and bake it for 35mins. Then I just cut into 5 slices and store it in tupperware in the fridge so he has a slice everyday for work.

that sounds delicious.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Replace yogurt with cottage cheese. Replace your bar with your own homemade bars. Replace fruits with veggies. Replace any breads with Ezekial bread.