How do you lower your grocery bill eating healthy..

Options

Replies

• kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 6 and I'm able to stay home, so all of our meals are cooked from scratch. It's just a habit of getting into, to bake everyday, use beans and lentils in ways you never thought possible, and do all the prep work at home. Buying healthy foods is cheap, if you don't buy it all pre-cut up and pre-washed and if you stick to what's in season in your area. Shop the flyers, plan your meals and try new recipes… bake your own bread, make things that you can take with you, mini quiches to go for breakfasts and summer oats are great to grab and go, wash cut and chop everything yourself. Buy frozen fish and veg they're just as good as fresh and usually way cheaper. We buy all our pork and beef from our neighbour, and raise our own chickens for meat and eggs. It's doable, and even raising 4 boys our grocery bills are around $150 a week.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When I buy bulk meat, i cut it all up (trim the fat/skin/bones) and then measure all of it and try to split it into meal sized portions, in my case 7-10oz per person, then vacu-seal it & freeze it. I tend to like fresh veggies over frozen, but will stock on sales. (I've purchased a 7.5cft deep freezer just so I can stock up).

Best I can offer - coupons, sales and the such. I use an App called "Out of Milk" which gives me the weekly sales @ the local supermarkets. It helps even if I have to hit a couple different stores.

And just to suit the "it's not more pricey" people, in some areas across the globe, food stuffs cost more, specially if it's not local or in season. Case in point a whole fryer chicken DOESN'T cost $5.00 in my area, even the "cheap" off brand fresh chicken will run me 7-8 dollars. The bulk pack of chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breasts)I get comes in 6-7 pounds for 11-13 dollars, cheaper than the "club stores" bulk pricing or buying them frozen.

Fresh veggies can be horrible in the winter here. 8oz of mushrooms - 3.99, 8oz baby carrots 2.15, cabbage (if you can find it) .69-.99 a pound, even onions run 3.99 for 3 lbs. In the summer, the prices drop but winter increases prices. Hell one store even had a sign out explaining the current run of nasty winter weather has reduced the stock of certain veggies.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I second the Aldi's suggestion. And it may take more of your time, but clipping a coupon here and there helps a lot too.

Closest one is pretty far, but I might make a trip to check it out if its worth it

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 6 and I'm able to stay home, so all of our meals are cooked from scratch. It's just a habit of getting into, to bake everyday, use beans and lentils in ways you never thought possible, and do all the prep work at home. Buying healthy foods is cheap, if you don't buy it all pre-cut up and pre-washed and if you stick to what's in season in your area. Shop the flyers, plan your meals and try new recipes… bake your own bread, make things that you can take with you, mini quiches to go for breakfasts and summer oats are great to grab and go, wash cut and chop everything yourself. Buy frozen fish and veg they're just as good as fresh and usually way cheaper. We buy all our pork and beef from our neighbour, and raise our own chickens for meat and eggs. It's doable, and even raising 4 boys our grocery bills are around $150 a week.

^^ I do want to point out that it's very easy and entirely doable to make all your meals from scratch even if you (and your partner if applicable) work full time. I'm back working now after being a SAHM for a few years, and my from-scratch cooking hasn't changed one bit. My grocery bill, however, has gone down because I am forced to meal plan to save time. All it takes is a bit of planning and organization, and from scratch fresh meals are easy.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I never buy anything full price unless it's something we actually need. Otherwise I send my husband (who is amazing for doing the grocery shopping that I hate so much) to the store with a list of various options like :Buy strawberries, blueberries, or grapes - whichever is on sale. And I will do that for fruits and veggies. i've also learned that some veggies, like celery and carrots, always seem to be ridiculously cheap.

We never buy meat full price. Our grocery store sometimes has specials on fihs buy one get one free - plus we have coupons. I ALWAYS use coupons. Some grocery stores have double daze where they double the price of your coupon certain days. Does yours?

Sometimes, we just eat breakfast for dinner - like a bowl of cereal and toast. My daughter likes it, my husband likes it, and after we get home from the gym at 7pm, we only have so much time. I don't get a lot of opportunities to cook during the week so I only make 2-3 meals per week. We then eat leftovers or "whatever we have" the rest of hte time. We have nutritious food on hand at all times, and value eating as a family - it doesn't have to be chicken and veggies for dinner.

I started my garden last year and was able to get fresh tomatoes and cucumbers all year. It took me a day to dig up the sod, get the seeds, plant etc and after that all I needed to do was water it here and there. Oh so easy! I am going to do it this year again and bigger. So cheap to grow your own stuff!!

We have a family of 3 and average 80 a week for groceries, if that. We don't spend more than $5 a week on "treats" like quaker granola bars or goldfish.

ETA: I also eat WAY less when I eat more nutrition dense foods.... so there's a cost saver there
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I make a list of what I'm gonna eat that week, then go to the grocery with that list. This helps me not buy things I don't need.

I take my local grocer's weekly "on sale" list, and if something sparks my interest I make sure to make a run for the grocery that day.

Buying healthier foods is actually more expensive if you do not plan around sales where I'm from, the crap food is substantially less expensive. However, with cupped with sales, the healthy food is no more expensive. I unfortunately don't have many other places to go shopping for better deals. The next nearest grocery or other store to buy food (Walmart), is 20 minutes away.

I go out of my way to places like Sam's club and GFS to buy things like 5 gallon bags of frozen fruit. This saves me a lot in the long run because I take advantage of frozen fruit daily either in smoothies or by making homemade sorbet.
  • priv8dan
    Options
    Aquaponics
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eating healthier lowered my grocery bill.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't know where y'all are shopping, but unless you are insisting on organic everything, fresh produce is not expensive, especially the in-season stuff that doesn't have to be shipped from a foreign country. See if there's a farmer's market or any "pick your own" farms in your area. It's usually even cheaper there.

Meat, okay. But become friends with the meat guys, ask them when things go on sale, and then go buy a bunch of stuff and freeze it.

Cook in bulk, eat leftovers, etc.

If you truly can't eat wheat products, well, rice and beans are way cheap.

If push comes to shove, look for other areas in your life where you could cut back. If you seriously have medical conditions that force you to be more picky about your diet, then you are going to have to prioritize that over some other things. You are not forced to eat stuff that makes you sick because it's allegedly cheaper.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    we eat the same as we have always ate, we just eat less of it which means it lasts longer so we don't buy as much.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I too thought "wow my bills got more expensive at the grocery" but then I looked at how much less we were spending eating out and realized its all about the big picture. not sure if you've cut back on eating out too to balance this cost. Also, if your family doesnt mind eating the processed foods, sometimes you might have to make two separate meals, one to fit your dietary needs and one for them. It will be a pain, but you'll be spending less on the stuff you can/enjoy eating. Just a suggestion.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are cheap and so easy to make different ways. I also like to go to the grocery store early in the mornings when you can find fresh chicken, beef and pork reduced for quick sale.

Instead of buying processed muffins and/or breads I like to make my own as well with just a few ingredients from the pantry.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Same here - I spend about $200-250/week for our family of 4. I buy mostly organic and natural foods, high quality meats, etc. Though I wish the costs were lower, I think the quality of our food is so important and worth it - so I try to cut costs in other parts of our lives so that I can afford the better food.

Is there any where else in your life that you can cut costs to make your food purchases more affordable?

Focus on simple, low-ingredient meals to keep costs down - for example, a dinner of chicken breasts, potatoes and a veggie is pretty cheap. Don't try to make fancy sauces or other dishes that require multiple ingredients you don't already have on hand.

Purchase the less expensive cuts of meat - for example, buy sirloin steaks instead of NY Strip. Purchase conventional fruits/veggies instead of the organic versions. Then stay away from buying unnecessary "treat foods" if you can.

Check the company's website for coupons - and mambosprouts.com also has natural food coupons.

Good luck :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have three in my home and we stay under 100 a week. My husband brings all of his lunches from home too.

Do you cook plenty of beans in the crock pot and rice? We have at least two different kinds of beans a week. This week it is chicken thigh and kidney bean chili (under 200 cal in a cup and it is thick!), and creamy Lima beans with Carmelites onions. Last week we had Caribbean black bean soup. There is nothing like bean burritos from fresh cooked pintos.

I also buy those frozen little salad shrimp. A big bag is usually 4.00. I add them to red beans and rice, scrambled eggs topped with stir fried veggies, and burritos. For meats, I buy only when in sale. I often buy stuff that's marked down. Cook it that evening and freeze in serving size portions. I like skinless thighs for souo and stuff becuase the flavor goes a long way, so i dont need broth. I buy lots of eggs, which I'm happy to cook up as a snack. I keep hard boiled ones around too.

For grains: barley, oat bran, oats, brown rice, quinoa (which I usually add barley to), and whole wheat for baking banana bread or pumpkin cookies.

I think smoothies for breakfast save money. Kale is a really cheap dark green veggie, and bananas are also inexpensive. They also take advantage of other inexpensive sources of nutrition like peanut butter, frozen strawberries, pears, plain yogurt, and stuff like wheat germ or flax.

If you have a big lots near you, check it out for lower cost condiments, canned goods, cereals, and grains.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i shop sales and sometimes use coupons and we also have an aldi's around here so i shop there a lot which has cheaper foods and i also get the cheapest brand. you don't always need that name brand stuff it all usually tastes the same anyways lol

and sometimes frozen meat also is cheaper then the fresh meat from the deli. and turkey burger is not only healthier but also usually cheaper then beef burger so i often buy that over beef as well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Had to look at your profile - saw you live in the US - priorities there the opposite to most countries. The US spends the LEAST amount of money on food as a proportion of household income IN THE WORLD. Time to re-look at the priorities... http://wsm.wsu.edu/researcher/WSMaug11_billions.pdf

Do what my husband & I do here in Canada: buy what is on sale that week, shop local, if you are in rural area of NY - pick your own veg/fruit, use coupons, go to as many stores as it takes to find the bargains. I shop every other day (as in Europe) and pick up the markdown meats/yogourts/cheeses that I can use within a couple of days or to freeze. There isn't anything wrong with the food, it just means the store has a new shipment in and must put it on the shelves.
    A friend of mine buys for the week thinking of recipes she wants to make first - so often she misses out on the deals... I cook and find recipes according to what is on sale that week and have a way lower grocery bill compared to her.
    I must eat gluten free and yes I buy quinoa, amaranth, whole grain brown rice etc. and my bread costs me $8.00 a loaf which I use sparingly - made fresh by a local lady. I try to buy organic fruits & veg when I can. I do notice when visiting the States that crap food is way cheaper than good food, kind of the opposite here.

Last words... your health and that of your family is the MOST IMPORTANT thing. I bet some families spend more each month on their cell phone bills or TV satellite subscriptions, etc.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky. I don't understand these posts. eating fresh is so much cheaper than eating premade crap food. A whole chicken is less than $5. After you eat it, you cook it and make soup and add left over, and almost spoiled veggies and stuff. You have a few more meals.

It's so cheap to eat better, but I think there's a learning curve because everyone does it wrong for a while. It takes a while to figure out what healthy really means. And, then, it takes even longer to figure how that translates into savings.

Edited to add that frozen veggies are extremely expensive. I go to buy them and cringe, and then go buy fresh. I'm not paying in excess of $8 a bag. It's crazy expensive where I live, or where I shop, I don't know.

Where do you get a whole chicken for less than $5?

Grocery store. All the time. I get them for as low as $3 sometimes.

I don't get how regular chicken could be that expensive (> $5) anywhere in the US, except maybe Alaska or Hawaii where you might have excess transport costs.

I buy a whole rotisserie chicken at Whole Foods, for heaven's sake, for $6.50. Surely an uncooked whole chicken at a normal grocery would be less than $1.50 cheaper? I wouldn't know - I love Bell and Evans chicken too much to even look at other chicken prices.