Tell me about your running shoes

Options
I'm new to running, and I'm looking for suggestions on shoes with the most support. Please tell me about your favorites. I currently wear skechers go run, and they are just about worn out.

Replies

• Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It really is worth going to a running shop, they will put you on a treadmill and look at your running gait and suggest the best running shoe for you, you don't want any injuries. I love brooks or mizuno. Good luck with the running x
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Hands down my favorite shoes are Asics. My oldest running shoes are Saucony though. I may have to retire them because they are actually men's shoes and there are holes in the mesh so you can see my big toes!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Asics or New Balance.

But like previously mentioned, go have your gait checked so they can recommend the right type of shoe for you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It really is worth going to a running shop, they will put you on a treadmill and look at your running gait and suggest the best running shoe for you, you don't want any injuries. I love brooks or mizuno. Good luck with the running x
    agreed with this 100%.

Brand won't matter, OP.. if the shoe doesn't fit for you.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    My running shoes....

matter not at all for your feet. Go get your gait analyzed at a running store. It's the best way to go.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you don't know these words and which ones apply to you, then you need to go to a running store. Not Footlocker, Champs, etc, but an actual running store.

Do you pronate, over pronate, or supinate?
    Flat, neutral or high arch?
    Heel, mid-foot, or fore-foot strike?

The wrong shoes can make running unbearably painful.

Asics for road, track and treadmill.
    New Balance for trail.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

QFT. You want the right shoes for *you* and a good running store can help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Hands down my favorite shoes are Asics. My oldest running shoes are Saucony though. I may have to retire them because they are actually men's shoes and there are holes in the mesh so you can see my big toes!

i save my old running shoes for mud races since most have the option for you to donate them when you're done anyway. i currently have 3 pair that i need to get rid of so i guess that means i need to do at least 3 mud races this year
  • felix1967
    Options
    You absolutely want to go to a store that specializes in running. One that analyzes everything . They will then recommend a shoe for you. Brand doesn't matter much, just the fit. I do prefer New Balance or Nike. Good luck!
  • ByeSwellyBelly
    Options

Thank you! I would not have thought to do this.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Everybody's feet and running are different, so one person's favorite might be someone else's nightmare.

I agree, get fitted at a good running store.
  • ByeSwellyBelly
    Options
    If you don't know these words and which ones apply to you, then you need to go to a running store. Not Footlocker, Champs, etc, but an actual running store.

Do you pronate, over pronate, or supinate?
    Flat, neutral or high arch?
    Heel, mid-foot, or fore-foot strike?

The wrong shoes can make running unbearably painful.

Asics for road, track and treadmill.
    New Balance for trail.

Noted. Thank you! Like I said, I am new to all this running stuff, so I need all the info I can get!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize WHY my feet/legs always hurt with cushiony running shoes (I tried Saucony and Asics; small local running stores- no gait analysis) until I went to a proper store and had all the fancy stuff done.

Basically I pronate, need a certain type of shoe, and needed insole, too. The second I put the "ones" on, I KNEW they were the right fit :smile: But had the treadmill video and tried them out running around the outside of the store to make sure!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Mizuno and Asics are my favorite but everyone is different. Some people swear by Brooks but they don't work for my feet, so I leave their awesomeness to other people.

Speaking of which, I REALLY need to go get new shoes....Hmmmm
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Get fitted. And by a pro, not just the high school girl working the register.

I have New Balance (don't even know the "model" name) and they're incredible. Originally bought Nike's at the employee's recommendation (because they worked for her) and the arch of my foot hurt SO bad by the middle of a run. I went back and saw the store owner (it's a locally owned store, run by a big time runner) and he told me while Nikes are great, they don't suit everyone. He put the NB on me, and I knew it was perfect. I walked around the store, ran on a treadmill, then went outside and jogged in place on the pavement. Bingo. Shoes for me.
  • ByeSwellyBelly
    Options
    Just found a store in my area where I can be "properly examined"! Thank you!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options

I agree with going to a store where they watch you run. I had been to another store where they had just watched me walk and fitted me with a shoe for over-pronation which caused blisters on the inside of my foot, so I took them back and went to a real running store where they watched me run and found that while I overpronate when I walk, I do not when I run. So, they fitted me with a neutral shoe that feels amazing! The other benefit is that I was able to provide preferences for color, weight, etc. and try on a variety of shoes side-by-side to pick the ones I liked best. My Asics GEL Cumulus 15's cost about $15 more than if I'd ordered on Amazon, but it was well worth the diference, as without the expertise, I wouldn't have known which shoes or which size to order.