Running: Treadmills or Outdoors?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I do neither. I run on stairs or run in place while indoors. :bigsmile:
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Outdoors. Hands down.

I run on the treadmill if I HAVE to (extreme cold, icy conditions, too dark outside, etc), but I hate it. I can never seem to hold my normal pace, and since I have the attention span of a fruit fly, I am bored before I even hit a mile.

I like the fresh air, the sights, etc and will always pick outside if I can!
  • I agree love to run outside! Ice cold air, the view. But the weather can be a pain. So I guess I have to say I love out doors and treadmill for bad weather.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I like running on a treadmill because it pushes me harder. If I run outside, I slow down more and more, but a treadmill keeps me on pace.

just need to live in Alaska, when the time of year you can run outdoors.....you know bears are out and about. Seriously increases run times lol

Funny. Good Humour.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Outdoors. Absolutely.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Like most things, it depends.

I used to always say outside was better. But I've got a goal of increasing my speed for the next event I run. Doing some treadmill work, where I can set a pace and it holds me to it, has helped. But I'm finding that I do need to follow it up with some outside runs at the same pace target so I can learn how to find that pace without the help of the treadmill.

I prefer running outside, but a treadmill has some benefits.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    outdoors-- even if it is raining, cold, snow, etc. I prefer outdoors 100 times more than the treadmill
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Treadmill...I put on my trash tv to distract me, and run, run, run! I love that I can use various interval programs to set pace and incline. There are no safety concerns, and weather is NEVER an excuse when all I have to do is drag myself out of bed and head upstairs.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Outdoors.. treadmill is boring. I'd rather run on a track indoors than the treadmill if outside is not an option
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    The treadmill. I can run while the kids are doing stuff. To run outside I would have to take them with me which would never result in a "run" but rather an amble down the street looking at every bug, stick, and leaf along the way :)
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    I do both, weather depending. If its too cold i'm at the gym on the treadmill. I find that my muscles seem more worked running outside on cement trail than on the treadmill. I can seem to go farther longer and faster on the treadmill than outside. Even though the treadmill is easier for me i prefer outside because i like my muscles being a little sore after a long run..makes me FEEL my accomplishment.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Outdoors.

Everytime I run on a treadmill, my back hurts, my knees hurt... I think I spend too much time trying not to fall off the damn thing whereas if I'm running the road, I am free to zigzag all day long. :laugh:

Pavement > Treadmill
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    I much, much prefer the road. More room to maneuver, more options, FRESH AIR! I work in an office all day so getting outside is one of my favorite parts.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Both. I actually like the treadmill because I'm kind of a numbers person? Seeing the numbers in front of me makes me feel accomplished. I love seeing the distance tick by, love messing with inclines and speeds, love watching time elapsed and time remaining. I get satisfaction from the numbers.

When I run outside, I feel really great and I enjoy where I'm running and everything around me, but I don't feel like I work as hard. I also hate the icy cold winter and the sweltering humid August of Nebraska. So, both!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Outdoors. I loathe the treadmill, but its an necessary evil for me 2-3x per week. I make the most of it and do intervals. Which helps the mundane. But I would so rather be on the road!!!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Outdoors, hands down. I actually run faster and farther when I run outside. The breeze, the scenery, the aloneness. I get bored on a mill with the same view, the overwhelming heat, and sheer amount of people. I'll take just me and the pavement any day.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    I will run outside in the rain, snow, cold sleet, humidity, wind, everything short of a blizzard. I hate the treadmill. Its too boring. Running outside clears my head. My treadmill is the last resort.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    While I prefer to take a run outside vs. the treadmill anytime that isn't always feasible.

During the week, I run on the treadmill when I don't have anyone to watch the kids.

I've also been confined to the treadmill for most of my runs this winter due to extreme temperatures (-39C) - just last week-end I pulled off 14 miles on the hamster wheel.

But, I perform better outside, and am more motivated by the distance I've covered.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    ... just last week-end I pulled off 14 miles on the hamster wheel.

But, I perform better outside, and am more motivated by the distance I've covered.

Wow, I'm impressed. Long runs on a treadmill feel like forever. Once I get over 8 or 9, it becomes really difficult. Good for you for getting it done!
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    I like the outdoors, but will hop on a treadmill if the outdoors isn't cooperative.